Electric cars

Options

Comments

• vman
    vman Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's exactly the high use vehicles in urban environments that we're talking about. Someone who is a regular 30/40 mile each way commuter is ideally placed to benefit from an EV. If you look at the accounts of people who have EVs it's exactly those who tend to have them, and in families with two cars often the ICE is kept for occasional long trips, but low usage on an annual basis. It's far from greenwash.
    I'm doing a 50 mile round trip to work each day in my leaf, including other journeys I'm doing about 14K a year - so not roving travelling salesman territory but about double the uk average (which is about 7k/year).

It's our only car, not a second car. I can do the commute two days running without a charge (I see 107 miles quoted above, I'm finding 120+ with normal driving). I don't feel the need for a backup ice, I guess if I was going to France or somewhere where I didn't know the lay of the land I'd probably just hire an ICE. I wouldnt want the burden of owning one just for an obscure journey like that.
  • vman
    vman Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's kinda the whole point. If the technology means you have to change the way you use the product, then the technology is causing a problem.
    How is having your own fuel pump on the side of your house a problem? it's awesome! When I drive past petrol stations now and see queues of people filling up their cars, heading over to the kiosk in the driving rain to pay, it just looks so antiquated. It's not really an experience you miss. This isn't technology creating a problem, its technology removing a problem.

People who see this as a problem remind me of those old boy plumbers who refuse to use plastic pipe no matter what. They'll come up with a few incoherent excuses why they'll only use copper but in reality everybody knows its because they are just old boys who have always done stuff in a certain way because thats what they were taught 40 or 50 years ago and dont like change.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vman wrote: »
    People who see this as a problem remind me of those old boy plumbers who refuse to use plastic pipe no matter what. They'll come up with a few incoherent excuses why they'll only use copper but in reality everybody knows its because they are just old boys who have always done stuff in a certain way because thats what they were taught 40 or 50 years ago and dont like change.
    Hmm. Two leaks in our bathroom recently - both caused by plastic pipe...
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Hmm. Two leaks in our bathroom recently - both caused by plastic pipe...

The plastic pipes themselves, or the joins? Were they fitted properly?
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Always the same anti EV sentiment,

It wont go far, Its inconvenient, I dont want to stop for 20mins to charge on a long day out. Its slow, Its a Milk Float, Its a rich mans mobility scooter, It wont work in the rain.

EVs were off my radar altogether till a year ago,

I am a high mileage user, 35 to 40k a year average. I bought my EV (BMW i3) to do the local runs up to 100 miles and kept an ICE for long distance work. It only took a few weeks to see the 90% saving when driving EV made it nonsensical to keep an ICE, so I modified my driving to accommodate the EV use. I quickly sold my backup ICE and replaced it with a second EV. (Both OH and Self are fully EV now)

Now my £300 a month Diesel Bill is gone and my electric costs £30 a month. My £400 per 12500 Mile service bill is gone. I dont pay CC to get into London or parking in London.

I have a 20min stop on the way down to London to Charge and a 20min stop on the way home in the evening to charge (140 Miles each way from North Notts).

Yes my day is roughly an hour longer but I use the time at the charger to sort out work emails etc.

No matter how loud people moan about it its going to happen, and its happening because when people finally try an EV they see what they have been missing, a calm and relaxing drive

I would love the ICE drivers to stick with them as long as possible (For purely selfish reasons) because as soon as the momentum moves to EV the Govt will switch the taxation burden from ICE to EV. So the longer the Posh 4WD tractors and chuggers are on the roads being penalised for every mile they drive then the EVs can swoop along subsidised and free from tax. As soon as the majority move over the taxes will follow.

So thank you Nay Sayers, Stick with it till the end and when you finally come over to EV it will then be expensive and taxed and road charged etc etc etc (And you can feel you were right driving an EV is no cheaper than ICE)
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quote:
    Lovely, an' all - but that's a petrol plug-in hybrid, not a range-extended electric. 30 mile range on electricity...

70 miles on electricity (@70mph, apparently), and then you can use the petrol motor to either power the motor only, or power the motor whilst charging the battery.

70 miles - Not with the Mitsu PHEV - 20 odd miles more like

I can now charge at work, and on my 25mile (mainly M4) journey home, I'm out of juice before I get home
    (being an older one I can't set it to ONLY use electric which you can on later ones)
    It said my MPG on last nights commute was 220 mpg
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    Could this be the answer to charging your car on a long journey ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-40805733/could-solar-roads-help-generate-electricity

Electric trains run by getting their power from cables above the train, so why not power your car from solar panels beneath it in the road ?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    SamsReturn wrote: »
    Could this be the answer to charging your car on a long journey ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-40805733/could-solar-roads-help-generate-electricity

Electric trains run by getting their power from cables above the train, so why not power your car from solar panels beneath it in the road ?
    In some countries, absolutely.

In the UK...?
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    So we would need brushes on the underside of the cars
    Just like the scalextric ones - anyone who had one will
    know how frustrating they were
    Will we need the slot too ;-)
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    vman wrote: »
    I don't feel the need for a backup ice, I guess if I was going to France or somewhere where I didn't know the lay of the land I'd probably just hire an ICE. I wouldnt want the burden of owning one just for an obscure journey like that.
    I just went from Lincolnshire to South Devon 276 mile for a holiday. Stopped twice on the way down as the en route chargers worked out well. Had to stop thrice on the return this morning due to locations of fast chargers. The whole journey was relaxed as I know the only things I'm going to overtake are HGVs. I am planning a trip to France next year and have found fast charger (ChaDeMo) locations that will allow me to do the trip in my 30kWh Leaf. And, I am hoping that there will be more places to charge by next September.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure