Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 7th Jan 17, 9:46 PM
    • 242Posts
    • 216Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Finally getting sorted
    • 7th Jan 17, 9:46 PM
    Finally getting sorted 7th Jan 17 at 9:46 PM
    I've been here before and always managed to run up huge debts again. If I'm honest I don't really know where the money has gone and have nothing to show for it. I could use my health and diagnosis as an excuse but at the end of the day I'm 30. I've done this no one else and I need to sort it.
    I have three debts. A credit card a bank loan and car finance. For now I am ignoring the car finance. I need the car to be able to do my job and because of previous health issues would be unable to manage without it.
    I have hidden the credit card ( so well I can't find it) and the aim is not to put anything else on it. The plan is to get rid of it completely but at the moment I have very few savings so need it for an emergency.
    The loan has 38 months left to pay. I have been overpaying it but only by small amounts.
    Ideally i would like to pay of the credit card whilst still slowly overpaying the loan.
    I work full time although am off at the moment as lost my footing on the ice at the beginning of the week and hurt my back ( I'm a community carer) I'm not due back at work until Thursday. I will probably ring them Monday though and say I'm ready to go bac.
    I looked at getting a 0% credit card but was not accepted so really need to get this paid off.

This is probably really boring so I'm sorry but I'm hoping by keeping track of things here I can see progress being made. My main aim for 2017 is clear the credit card and not run up any more debts.
Page 7
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 14th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    No spend day today. Had £5 left in the direct debit account left over so sent over to the credit card. New total is £2,695 still away to go but got to keep plodding on
    January 17 Credit card-£3,300- now £2,400 17% Apr
    January 17 Loan-£9,260- now £7,750 5.4% Apr
    • Shey
    • By Shey 14th Apr 17, 10:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Shey
    Good luck! Just stay focused you can do this
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 18th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    I'm sorry. I've failed. I've used the credit card and added £400 to the debt. my mum has paid for new carpet paint etc for my bedroom. All my furniture including my bed have broken so I've been on the ikea website and ordered a bed, 2 chests of draws, a book case and draw unit and a storage cube. Including delivery it was a massive £400 I new I would have to spend the money but wasn't expecting it to be for a few more paydays so the plan was to save for it.
    I will fix this. I've but the credit card straight back away and the plan is still pay it as soon as possible. The money I was going to save will just go straight to the credit card.

Got rid of 3 bags of rubbish and some off my old furniture that was beyond repair also four black bags for the charity shop that they are collecting tomorrow.

Pay day on Friday so hopefully know where I stand with money for this four weeks
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 19th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Felt bad about putting the furniture on the never never card so took the money from the emergency fund and paid it straight off. Fingers crossed there's now no emergency. Will update totals once the banking app has caught up.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 13,591 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I guess it's all about finding a balance when dealing with debt. If you are too hard on yourself everything may eventually fall apart, as I have found out.

You need to look after you as well as the debt, and we all need a bed.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 20th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Payday tomorrow. Slipped a bit with the spending because of buying the new furniture sooner than I expected to so need to pay some back to the emergency fund. If I've worked everything out properly I should be able to pay £300 off the credit card this month and save a little to the emergency fund and pat all my other bills.
    Seem to be getting quite a good pay this time round. Just need to keep up working this amount of hours. Am hoping because of getting paid four weekly I should get the never never card paid this year then next year can throw everything at the loan. Fingers crossed the money goes in the bank tomorrow as two paydays ago they didn't pay us
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 21st Apr 17, 5:46 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    It's payday . Sorted all my money into pots in my online accounts. Just got to wait now for the 4/5th may for the credit card bill to come in is I can get that paid off. Also loan payments come out on the 1st. I'm not making huge overpayments to this one at the min but do like to pay a little off to make it a round number.

Can't believe I'm actually waiting for a bill to come in lol as I want to pay it.
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 21st Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    It's official. I'm obsessed been onto online banking in between every patient visit today to try and work out what to do for the best.
    After covering all my direct debits I have:-

Put £300 into the emergency fund to make up some of the money I spent on furniture.

Paid £120 off the credit card bringing the total to £2550 owed. Still have £100 to pay when the bill comes in on about the 4/5th may.

Paid £10 off the loan as I felt bad I've not made any extra payments there this month so new total £8450.

Paid £100 off the laptop as an overpayment and still have money in the direct debit account for the monthly payment. Should hopefully have it paid off in 3. Months.

It's taken me all day to decide what to do so I'm hoping I've made the right decisions. Only 27 days till payday lol
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 22nd Apr 17, 9:44 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    I realise I'm probably talking to myself but at least posting here keeps me accountable. Been at work today then a crafty sleep on the sofa so a no spend day here. Working until next Friday now so other than petrol can't see that I will need anything else. Desperately waiting for the new month to start so that direct debits are taken and the credit card bill turns up.

Would be nice to get the credit card to £2,400 this month but can't see it happening.

Also realised I don't feel comfortable without the £1000 in the emergency fund so need to try and build it up again. Hopefully end up working the two bank holidays in may so that should help.

Day off Friday but got to wait for my stuff from ikea to be delivered so no crafty shopping trip. Plan is to attack my coursework
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Apr 17, 10:02 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 13,591 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Youre not talking to yourself because I'm very nosey but i agree with the diary/accountability thing. Mine is keeping me more focussed than usual.

Good luck getting your emergency fund back to£1000.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 25th Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Hi. Not spent any money since Thursday. Going to have to get petrol at some point or ask one of my patients if I can borrow their mobility scooter.
    Still waiting for the beginning of may so that the direct debits and credit card bill come in. Hoping to make a few small overpayments just to round the numbers up but don't want to do that until everything's been paid.
    Picked up a few extra hours at work and have let the manager know I'm looking for more hours. Also working on bank holiday Monday for a few hours but that's double time and are pay rise came in to effect this week so hopefully should all help. Ideally I need to earn what I did last four weeks each time to pay off this credit card asap. Just want it gone.
    Was meant to be going out with my sister for the day Saturday but she doesn't get paid until next week and I will only spend money I haven't got. Luckily the boss said could I work so will be earning a few more pennies and avoiding spending them on more junk I don't really need win win I guess
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 28th Apr 17, 9:18 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    I'm done there's no way out of this mess will never pay it all off. What a waste of time
    • ada-or-ardor
    • By ada-or-ardor 28th Apr 17, 10:32 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    ada-or-ardor
    There is only one way out. And unfortunately it is the hard way. But you will get there. I promise you. It's normal to lose your motivation but we all know you can do this. Use the bank holiday weekend to relax, try not to think about money (but be sensible, don't do something you will regret), and come back with some renewed enthusiasm. Please don't give up, think about the favour you are doing Future You, because if you give up now, that is the only person who will have to face all this again when it all comes back to haunt them.

You are doing a great job. Yes it's slow and yes it's hard but you're Getting. It. Done!!

Why did you start your debt-free diary in the first place? Remind us all of your LBM, please.

Ada x
    • Lumanous
    • By Lumanous 28th Apr 17, 10:45 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Lumanous
    Don't give up. If you couldn't do it you wouldn't have been able to start in the first place. Take a breather. You're not alone x

No, my username is not a typo
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 6th May 17, 6:38 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Hi not posted in a while. Working silly hours at work, stopped taking my happy pills against medical advice and letting the eating disorder back in. Still paying off the debt credit card now at £2480 and loan is at £8200. 13 days until payday and only got my emergency fund and weekly money left so there won't be any big changes on the debt front. Emergency fund is at £700 and am tempted to take £200 out and pay it off the never never card. Might wait and see how much I've earns this four weeks before I make a decision.
    Have a good day all
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th May 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 13,591 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Well done on having the emergency fund. It's something I find completely elusive.

• debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 17th May 17, 10:23 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Not posted in ages. Not really much to update but it's payday Friday so fingers crossed should get my payslip tomorrow and be able to work out how much I can throw at the credit card. Day off tomorrow so will have time to sit and work it all out. Have been picking up some extra hours so fingers crossed it will have been worth it
    • LordNolo
    • By LordNolo 18th May 17, 12:19 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    LordNolo
    Hi - just read your diary and think it's a real inspiration - I know you're worried about the amount of debt you have but if you look at what it was and what it is now you've come a long way. Keep at it - you're winning. Plus the good thing about a loan is that it has an end date - so eventually that will hit zero and the money you were spending on it is yours again!
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 18th May 17, 4:23 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    Pay day tomorrow and have been waiting all day but finally got pay slip emailed through. After paying all bills and taking out my petrol/spending money I will be left with £585. I'm going to put £300 to the emergency fund to make it to the £1000 I'm comfortable with then £280 as an overpayment to the credit card leaving me £5 in the account spare in case I've forgotten anything somewhere.
    Will be quite a nice payday tomorrow but no way I will be earning anywhere near this amount again. Only did well as been working so many hours and the bank holiday. Just need to keep it up until the credit card is paid as without that my other " debts " are manageable. I obviously still want them paid off sooner than later but right now it's the credit card that's giving me sleepless nights.
    Roll on 1am and the money going in so I can sit up and get everything paid off.
    • debtfreeme2015
    • By debtfreeme2015 19th May 17, 1:59 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    debtfreeme2015
    It's payday and as the sleep thing is not happening thought I would sort my accounts out. Rent paid to mum, spending money for the next 4 weeks transferred across ready to be moved back and be withdrawn on each weekly payday. All direct debit money sat in the account waiting to pay them when they are due at the start of next month. I'm paid four weekly not monthly so now won't touch that account. Have made a small overpayment to my laptop that I had to get for work and have been sent a login for my car finance so have made a small overpayment there just to bring it down to a round number. Have put £300 into the emergency pot but best of all £280 paid of the credit card with still another £100 put away ready for the minimum payment at the start of next month ( the minimum payment is normally about £60 but I like a bit extra so I can make it a round number to work with) new credit card total £2,200. There's still a long way to go but finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

27 days until wage slip day and I can work out the next four weeks. This is the only downside off not earning a set amount I don't know how much is coming in from one payday to the next. The next plan now the emergency fund is topped up is to start putting some away for the mot and insurance and car tax all due between September and Christmas. Am hoping £500 should cover it or if it doesn't cover all of it should be quite a big bit towards it.

Sorry turned into a long post. Going to attempt sleep. Night
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

4,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin