Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 2nd Jan 17, 8:11 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 323Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Quids in for a Limited Time
    • 2nd Jan 17, 8:11 PM
    Quids in for a Limited Time 2nd Jan 17 at 8:11 PM
    Hi. Let me introduce myself. I am an old time user and lately a frequent browser. There is me, my husband & my two kids age 17 & 15. I have £56,000 owing on my mortgage which is on a tracker rate of currently 1.14 which is really good I think. I do make the odd overpayment on it as it kinda gives me a happy feeling the same as say buying a new top or dress does but tbh I think I would be better off putting any spare money in a savings account in view of the rate.
    To be honest though much as I would like to clear the mortgage as soon as possible, there are other things that I would like money for such as home improvements and driving lessons & a car for my daughter. So this is going to really be more of a savings diary than anything else. If anyone wants to join me that would be great but my main reason for doing this is I hope to keep me focused.
    I have added up all our incomings and outgoings and in theory we should have loads left over every month for savings but the reality is we actually don't! We don't have any debts & do have a small amount of savings but its a bit of a mystery where the money actually goes so I have also started a spending diary to establish that! Life has been good the last year as my ex-husband has been paying maintenance which he never did previously so last year we had our first foreign holiday in six years and we have had a much better social life than we were previously able to and the kids have been able to experience some new things.
    I am aware however that as some of our money is maintenance paid from my ex-husband that will be ending at some point soon in view of my children's ages - hence the title of this thread.
    Thanks for reading so far!
Page 5
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 27th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    I've just been playing around with the early mortgage repayment calculator. If we can £200 extra every month, we would pay the mortgage off about six and a half years earlier, which would be lovely. It would be even better obviously though if we could pay more than that. £400 extra per month for example would pay it off about nine and a half years earlier. The interest rate is actually very low however so in some ways it doesn't make a huge difference.

DS has actually given me a list of foods that he would like, or at least thinks he would like as I think he has just looked them up on a website! These are:
    Pancakes - Aargh! I've never made normal pancakes never mind gluten-free ones!
    Barbecued meatball kebabs (?)
    Chicken tenders (?)
    Scrambled egg omelette (double ? Is that just a normal omelette?!
    Roast tikka chicken (?)
    Fried chicken - probably unlikely as our fryer has frequently been used for non g/free
    Tachos
    Butter chicken
    Egg fried rice
    Salmon
    So lots of chicken & some of it I'm not 100 % sure on!

Thank you so much Jellibeanz, VDOT47, Silence101 for your replies, They have all given me ideas for meals to hopefully get me out of this rut that I am in meal wise. Silence101 could you tell me the ingredients for the pancakes, salmon stir fry and catalan chicken?
    Jellibeanz - you know for the chicken with white wine sauce, is it just crème- fraiche and a glug of wine or stock as well? You sound so organised and adaptable! I'm a real stickler for recipes as I don't have a lot of confidence to just try it and see!
    VDOT47 - which g/free shop pastry do you use? We thought the Genius one was horrible, it didn't seem cooked enough even though it was in the oven for way longer than it said was necessary although when I ate the leftovers for my lunch 2 days later it tasted much nicer for some reason!
    Do you know I have never made a risotto? I think I need to try that one!

Quite a bit of xmas shopping done on Saturday but really only a third of the way there so more spending still to be done.
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 28th Nov 17, 7:11 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Silence101
    Catalan chicken - it’s a lot of ingredients but we tend to substitute stuff depending what we have in !
    Olive oil.
    3 cloves of chopped garlic, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery sticks, 1 pepper cut in strips.
    Serrano ham (we usually replace that with bacon)
    4 chicken thighs
    125ml sherry (we usually give that a miss)
    500ml chicken stock
    Rosemary, thyme, parsley, saffron, paprika (2 teaspoons), salt and pepper
    Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Tin of either borlotti, cannellini or butter beans
    Orange zest (we usually give that a miss too)
    Fry vegetables, then remove and fry ham, remove and fry chicken, remove and deglaze with the sherry. Boil stock. Put everything back in with the herbs and spices, orange zest, and tin tomatoes. Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Add beans simmer for 5 minutes.
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £108.01 /£100 11/17 £471.44/£100 12/17 £114/£100
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 28th Nov 17, 7:21 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Silence101
    Salmon stir fry
    Onions, carrots, spring onions , any veg lying around really, chopped finely and fried. Add fresh salmon, with lemon juice and honey and soya sauce. At the same time cook the egg noodles in water. Once noodles ready, fry them with the vegetables and salmon for 30 seconds/a minute. Dish up.

Pancakes
    For the batter- 2 eggs, 90g butter, 100g flour
    Filling - spinach 300g, mushrooms 200g, 50g cheese. Fry mushrooms and spinach, once cooked add cheese.
    Once you’ve filled the pancakes, place them in an oven dish and cover them with yoghurt and cheese and bake.
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 28th Nov 17, 7:23 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Silence101
    I thought there was milk in the pancakes batter, but any pancake batter would do, as long as you don’t add sugar.
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 28th Nov 17, 8:37 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    I usually use stock and a glug of wine. Then half way through I put the creme fraiche in to thicken.

Silence - thanks for the salmon stir fry idea. I'm going to try that tonight
    Control freak taking back the reins MF and DF Wannabe
    M '09 = £103k M Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Original End Date = Apr '34
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 2nd Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Thank you Silence101 and Jellibeanz! I intend to try lots of new dishes over the xmas break. At the moment it feels like a case of just trying to get through the next few weeks until we break up from school. The noise levels are increasing as is the staff's tiredness!

November food spends came to £632.94, eating out £55 and clothes for me £38. Petrol I forgot to keep a record of.

December could be an expensive month as I may have to make a visit to Scotland to visit my Mum who has not been well, as well having the usual xmas expenses. Going out and eating out costs will be higher as well no doubt. Income will also start decreasing next month so beltes will definitely need tightening somewhere!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

3,376Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin