Really need advice now, faulty car with warranty? [Merged]

Options
I'm 20 and got my first car from JCT600 in August after passing my test in May. Thinking that JCT were a reputable company, I thought I'd be in safe hands. I wasn't.

I bought a late 2011 Vauxhall Corsa Limited Edition from them. When I got it, I was nervous about driving so I didn't really drive far, but about a week later, I started motorway driving and noticed the steering wheel was shaky, I just thought it was normal for 70mph.
Although I took a motorway lesson with my instructor in his car, he asked me if the wheel was shaky and that he needed to check his wheel nuts after so many miles as he'd just had some tires changed. I told him his wheel was stiff but normal, although my own car was shaky, he told me I'd just need a balancing and they're not all that expensive.

I took it into Kwik Fit a few days later for just the two front wheels balancing. The passenger side wheel balanced fine, but when the drivers side wheel was placed on the machine, it was bouncing. The mechanic told me the wheel was warped and needed a new alloy. He told me it had been caused by somebody curbing the car at high speed. I could guarantee that wasn't myself, I'd only had the car around 2/3 weeks and I was too worried to go at high speeds.

I took the car to JCT as I felt it should be their responsibility to replace it. They took it into their service centre, told me there was nothing wrong with the wheel, they just rebalanced it themselves. So I got the car home before I realised they'd totally replaced the alloy. I said no more about it though. I couldn't really be bothered with the hassle anymore.

So aside from the way they treat me over the wheel..
I started to notice when driving that the car wasn't really gaining much power. First gear was the worst, I'd have to over-rev for it to move and then the change to two would be very jerky. Second to third etc would be fine, it was mainly first to second, as well as a delay in first. I thought it might have just been me worrying or it was all in my head, but after so long I realised I wasn't imagining it, and I took it into a local mechanic last week. He checked the error codes and said there was nothing there and assumed it may be the timing chain that's stretched as it can be common with Corsas, but the repair for that would be about £400/£500.

He offered me a full service with oil and other filter changes and everything so I took it. Afterwards, he told me the car still had its original spark plugs in there and they were rusted solid inside, and confirmed the timing chain is stretched and it's up to me when I'd like it sorting out.

I spoke to my grandparents' neighbour after and he was asking me how my car was, I told him we're having nothing but trouble with it and mentioned the timing chain, he listened to my engine running and said it's definitely rattling (he's an independent car dealer as well as maintains them)

I decided again that this should be a JCT issue, at the end of the day they've given me a year's warranty, promised the car was serviced before I got it and it simply wasn't. Even on the phone when booking it in though, I got a mechanic saying "I don't think a timing chain will cause the car to be sluggish but we'll look.."

I don't know much about cars but I know if a timing chain isn't functioning properly, then neither do the valves and cylinders. My grandad complained to head office and they just told him their services just offer an oil change, but regardless, even that car hadn't had an oil change, the colour of it before my service last week was just solid black. I thought that was normal.

Anyway, I'm worried they're going to turn around and say there's nothing wrong with it, or lie about something or try and charge me. I just don't know any more, their customer service is shocking.

I'll also add that the car was around 29,000 miles when I got it and now it's at around 33,000

Any advice?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    The wheel, did they replace it? or did they swap it for one of the others in the hope you wouldn't notice?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not keep to one thread about them?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    My advice is to keep complaining. The spark plugs being rusted in is definitely a problem for JCT to solve. The timing belt issue is more difficult as the fault will have been present when you took the car for a test drive and the lack of performance should have been apparent. That said, you have put a lot of miles on the car since purchase.

You should offer to cover half the costs of the replacing the timing belt as they are a service item but should last 60k, not 33k.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    My advice is to keep complaining. The spark plugs being rusted in is definitely a problem for JCT to solve. The timing belt issue is more difficult as the fault will have been present when you took the car for a test drive and the lack of performance should have been apparent. That said, you have put a lot of miles on the car since purchase.

You should offer to cover half the costs of the replacing the timing belt as they are a service item but should last 60k, not 33k.

belt or chain?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bet they shifted the warped wheel to the back and balanced it as best as they could. You won't feel it through the steering on the back. Oil is black only a day or two after changing it unless you do it yourself and use engine flush and are incredibly patient, its normal. Spark plugs are given stupid longevity on service schedules, best to remove and clean at service time anyway but most don't. I suspect the chain has stretched through owner abuse and lack of good servicing. I'd say chances of getting supplying dealer to pay for a service item are extremely low, next time you buy a car take someone with you!
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    belt or chain?

It's a chain in this model
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    I bet they shifted the warped wheel to the back and balanced it as best as they could. You won't feel it through the steering on the back. Oil is black only a day or two after changing it unless you do it yourself and use engine flush and are incredibly patient, its normal. Spark plugs are given stupid longevity on service schedules, best to remove and clean at service time anyway but most don't. I suspect the chain has stretched through owner abuse and lack of good servicing. I'd say chances of getting supplying dealer to pay for a service item are extremely low, next time you buy a car take someone with you!

I thought the same about the wheel but I can just tell that it wasn't one that was there previously, the inflation pipe was completely different, and I knew this because I had some anti-theft dust caps at the time that I had on all the wheels.
    In regards to having somebody with me, I did have my grandad with me but I took the car for a test drive and it ran absolutely lovely. But it was after about a week or so I noticed the sluggishness but I never thought anything of it, thought I just needed an oil/filter change and everything. I doubt it's myself as a user abusing it after having the car a week. And this car was supposed to have been serviced.
    The mechanic who serviced my car last week told me a stretched timing chain is a common fault on these cars
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    Okay so it went in today where straight away the service team denied it was the timing chain, said it hadn't even been opened up and looked at, he could 'just tell' but claimed it was the coil pack.
    One of the service team members later came to me showing me a corroded coil pack, saying it was mine and they were installing a new one. And it should fix my problems.

I took the car home and noticed a small improvement but nothing major. I took a photo and showed it to the mechanic who serviced my car last week, he said the coil pack in the photo wasn't the same one that was in my car.

Seriously I don't know who to believe. But more to the point, the problem still isn't resolved. And I do believe it could be the timing chain after hearing numerous opinions that it sounds like that
  • LiGhTfasT
    Options
    I cant see how the timing chain would make you loose performance to that degree. I've heard noisy chains before but never heard people say its lost power too, surely if the timing was out you'd have all sorts of issues and codes logged?

Try unplug the air flow sensor or lambda sensor on the cat and taking it for a spin. Both of those have failed on mine over the years causing issues.
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    LiGhTfasT wrote: »
    I cant see how the timing chain would make you loose performance to that degree. I've heard noisy chains before but never heard people say its lost power too, surely if the timing was out you'd have all sorts of issues and codes logged?

Try unplug the air flow sensor or lambda sensor on the cat and taking it for a spin. Both of those have failed on mine over the years causing issues.

According to websites I've seen, it affects the way that the valves open that then affects the cylinders. I'm no mechanic but I've heard the same thing from other mechanics and forums online
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure