Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 2,645Posts
    • 18,236Thanks
    ziggy2407
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10 10th Oct 16 at 7:36 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
Page 1
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 18,236 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Missed a few days last week due to not feeling 100% ut I'm up and raring to go and need to make this week count as bathroom refit starts Thursday. We've managed to keep all costs down by ripping out as much as we can, which also resulted in a trip to the tip yesterday. Today's list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Appointment at 11am -
    Start prepping for decorating in the attic -
    Ironing -
    Craft -
    Declutter -
    Bump Sale Posts on FB -
    Walk at least 7000 step for Bounts points -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day!

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 10th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 8,652 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    Morning all thanks for starting us off Ziggy glad you're feeling better. to new bathroom. Grateful it's Monday and payday is in sight

Ally not seen you for a while hope you're ok and not working too hard.

My Monday will mainly look like this:
    Wrap and post 6 fleabay parcels that sold yesterday, re listed a few others
    Work from home
    Man coming to show us some carpet samples, will get him to quote for DD room whilst he's here
    Meals from stores
    Check banking, surveys and FPL.
    Hang washing out that was washed overnight
    Left over croissant for breakfast
    Take something back to friend that she kindly leant me
    Contact charity to collect old sofa, have swapped it in short term for a sofa bed that was gifted to us as it was just so uncomfortable. Trying to work out if I can keep s/b somewhere as it's so useful as we don't have spare room.
    Maybe a run, if I have time but did both Saturday and Sunday so may have this as my rest day

Right off to do a bit before school run.
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Oct 16, 8:25 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:25 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:25 AM
    Morning Frugalistas,
    I want to have a productive day so am intending to get cracking in a minute & see where it takes me. Money saving stuff defo on the list is:
    *Peg laundry outside while it's dry & bright (washed overnight on cheap tariff).
    *Re-load for another cheap wash.
    *Turn some of our huge apple crop into apple & ginger chutney.
    *Finish decluttering a kitchen cupboard & sort out my recycled jars/lids stash.
    *Use up some peppers which were given to us. Chop & freeze the rest for pizza topping.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Knit (Christmas presents)
    *Update budgets & move some funds around to keep everything straight.
    *Pay CC in full
    *Start thinking about insurance renewal. I'm really not minded to pay an extra £8 per month when we have not put in a claim.
    OK, off to fetch the pegs (Oooh, the glamour!)
    Have a good start to the week, all.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund = £2107-27
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £195
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    Morning thanks for starting the thread ziggy! Hope the bathroom renovation is as stress free as is humanly possible! So exciting when it's finished though

Hi PF & everyone who follows

So today I am off of work and have a child free day planning to get some jobs done this morning & then have leisure time for the rest of the day

* call gp & see if I can get appt for dgd - she keeps complaining of a stomach ache
    * check banking
    * update spending diary - haven't done it since Friday
    * lo's for lunch for me and oh. Madam is being brought lunch by cm as they are having a day out
    * dinner is the lasagna I made yesterday
    * flylady house - superflying today as want to do it in less than an hour!
    * load of washing in & online when finished
    * iron & photo a few tops to list on fleabay - managed to list 5 things yesterday
    * go to the allotment for an hour and start the prep for winter - will cycle there Did 75 mins picked handful of runner beans & french beans. Pulled up & composted french beans, dug over bed where squashes were - 1 tiny squash now curing . Happy with what I did!
    * make the comforter bars
    * transfer wine must into 2nd demijohn
    * spend some time knitting - I have reattempted making the socks Mrs F. I gave up in a hissy fit last year as when it got to the heel it all went wrong
    * If I have time I might watch a film I love but oh refuses to watch as we've seen it several times and he saw it a few times before introducing me to it! wactched half!
    * fill in & post a dd form
    * make apple braid
    * soak chickpeas to make hummus tomorrow v.2

Ok that'll do! Happy Monday
    Last edited by determined new ms; 10-10-2016 at 7:09 PM.
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 10th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    katy_ann
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    Afternoon all A quick check in whilst on my lunch break as work is so busy today! It is my last week though before starting maternity leave so I'm happy about this as I'm not sleeping well at all at the moment! My list for today:
    - NSD
    - Check bank account
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - Do a load of washing when I get home
    - Aim for 30 minutes overtime tonight, I'm not allowed to do anymore as I'm pregnant and suffering!

Have a great Monday everyone! X
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Baby Boy Due on 21/11/2016
    November NSD 0/6
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 10th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 6,230 Thanks
    twiggy86
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    Shuffles in offering chocolate...

Hi guys! So I've been awol. Can say I've been busy? Not really, just thought I had the hang of this "be good with money malarkey". Kick up the bum was double insuring the house (didn't see the automatic renewal letter!) and being scammed leading to us being with sky and virgin (long story - but basically we called "sky" and cancelled except it was a scam number so sky say we have to continue paying, oh and we can't now cancel until we've coughed up!)

So I've realised that I need you lovely guys and hope you'll have me back!

So today I have/will:-
    * Come back here with my tail between my legs and sad puppy dog eyes!
    * Check banks
    * Take lunch to work
    * Work out what I owe on CC and what is OH's
    * Apply for fee free balance transfer on CC
    * Pay home and car insurance off CC
    * Cancel one of the two home insurances (using work phone!)! I'll give the nodding dog their due, they didn't charge me even though it auto renewed on Saturday
    * Cancel hair appointment
    * Get back to snapping receipts
    * Get myself back on track!

Hope you guys are all well.
    Last edited by twiggy86; 10-10-2016 at 3:33 PM.
    LBM 16.10.14 - TOTAL - £9,863.64 - now £1,344.82
    LBM2 10.10.16 - TOTAL - £5,224.87- now £4,890.88
    £1,000 EF #31 - £438.40/£1,000
    Pay off by xmas 2015 £6,329.96/£5,000
    Pay off by xmas 2016 £613.14/£1,957.96
    Mortgage overpayments 2015 - £500, 2016 - £1,000
    • princess_pea
    • By princess_pea 10th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    princess_pea
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    Evening all, thanks for starting Ziggy

Things to do this week...

All meals from stores
    Small top-up food shop
    Don't spend anything not budgeted for on my debit card until Sunday when I'm due to go for a meal and catch-up with my friend
    Having my long hair cut short tomorrow after work courtesy of my home hairdresser ... that is as long as I don't chicken out!
    Change my personal details on survey sites to reflect my married name, then do some surveys!
    Open Help to Buy ISA on Wednesday!
    Still need to wash wedding dress in the bath - will do so at the weekend as I want to put it away in my wardrobe
    Keep checking bank and make sure spending diary is up to date
    Make another cake using ingredients from stores with our new mixer (bought with wedding vouchers but need to justify the purchase by using it)
    Keep an eye out for roadkill pennies when out walking poochy
    Finish book and start one I've already bought on the kindle
    Loads to do at work as usual. I've asked if I can work on another extra project which will mean doing 10 hours per week on top of full-time. Should bring in an additional £1500 which will go towards the house deposit. The northern saying "shy bairns get no smarties" applies so I've asked my manager and he says he can't see any reason why not!

I think that's it for now. Does anyone have a cheap and easy homemade hummus recipe they don't mind sharing? Sick of spending £1.50 on a small pot!
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Married 3/9/2016
    Mortgage Deposit £3600
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 20,413 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    Hi everyone
    Thanks for the starter this week Ziggy - hope that you're feeling a bit better now. I too am still suffering a bit health wise. I had my blood tests today so now I just need to get in the queue for a doctors appointment for all the results. I'm kind of hoping that there is something that has a quick fix. I don't fancy the thought of having to tackle my stress levels...
    Hi twiggy - bad luck with the double insuring/Sky scamming. I really feel for you...
    Not a nsd today but about as productive as I get at the moment... I have
    checked banking and PAD to money box
    produced a list of annoying jobs
    popped to BM bargains to get enough snacks for school during the week
    marked a set of books
    had my blood tests and ECG and I didn't faint (this is a big deal for me)
    washed dishes and a load of washing done
    planned for tomorrow
    meals from stores
    prepped packed lunches
    Gotten on with handmade Christmas.
    Hope everyone is doing ok - apologies for my prolonged absences at the moment. Life is getting the better of me.
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Oct 16, 7:07 PM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    determined new ms
    princess pea here is a recipe I am making tomorrow

https://weezl.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/houmous/

I haven't made it yet so can't vouch for it

welcome back twiggy!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 30,420 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Thanks for starting this week's thread Ziggy - good luck with the bathroom
    Welcome back Twiggy
    CCL, hope your tests yield some answers to your tiredness /feeling poorly.

Happy Monday to everyone else

Today I have:
    Done a wash and mostly dried it on the line Need to put on the airer in front of the stove overnight
    Dog walks x 2 - free exercise
    Visited sales unit, tidied up and added some new stock. Very little seems to be selling there at the moment.
    Sold 3 items on ebay, need to wrap ready for posting tomorrow
    HM meals from stores, used up more bits from fridge, plus a freezer item
    Given the bathroom a really good clean, with stardrops and microfibre cloths (plus loo cleaner and mop and bucket for the floor of course!) I even cleaned the leaves of the bathroom plants
    Cleaned first landing and main bedroom

Better get on and pack those ebay parcels!

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 11th Oct 16, 6:57 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 15,299 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Morning guys

Twiggy - how frustrating on all accounts for you. Hope you can leave it in the past and start afresh from now!

Here's some bits from me in no particular order:

A colleague of mine made HM lemon and ginger cordial - really appealed to me as no added sugar and sounded really simple to make, but I bought lemon and ginger yesterday and it cost me £2.05, makes about 600ml...so quite a bit more pricey than normal cordial (which we don't always buy anyway...) so I might not do it v often. Also, because it has no added sugar it only lasts about 5 days so might end up being a complete waste...

I bought a car on a PCP deal a few years ago and the balloon payment is due in a couple of months - so I could trade in the car and continue to pay off e.g. £150 for the rest of my life or I can pay the last circa £5k and keep the car... Thinking about putting the £5k on a 0% card deal (luckily have a 'transfer cash to current a/c' card) and paying it off that way. Need to sort this out soon before the biggest direct debit payment of my life comes out! Eek, scary business.

Right, I need to go check YNAB and sort brekkie and lunch for work...

Catch up soon!

xxxxxxxx
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 11th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Hello everyone, long time lurker/admirer of this thread. I hope that by posting regularly there's more chance of me staying on track. Today I am/will

-working from home; saves on petrol
    - lunch will be something from the cupboard/fridge
    - check FPL/complete surveys
    -turn heating off in the next 10 mins
    - try and get washing on and out on the line before I start work
    - check contents of fridge to see what needs using up, I have a couple of peppers that won't last much longer, can I just chop these up and freeze them ready to use when needed?
    - reorganise freezer; things have just been thrown in there and I now need to find space for more bread as my dad bought another loaf, I forgot to tell him we had some in there, we don't get through much bread usually so might make bread and butter pudding at the weekend.

Happy Tuesday everyone X
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £7,952.15 (25%)
    Hope to be debt free by 30 (December 2016)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 20,413 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I confess...
    I put the heating on this morning. It's off again now but I really did need 15 mins to take the chill off the place. It was blimming cold this morning and my blanket making is only good if we can sit on our bums in the house - not trying to get ready for work...
    Other than that I am shattered today. It was a real struggle to get out of bed this morning for sure. It's too dark and cold now for my liking. As if I wasn't already struggling.
    Today I will
    aim for nsd
    all meals from stores
    full day of teaching
    mark a set of books
    take ds to football training
    take naughty tortie to the vets
    make sure I take my lunch and break
    check banking and PAD to money box
    try and get an early night
    Have a good day all
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Oct 16, 7:26 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning all,
    Not as much time today as have to go out later (civic duty) & then go & pick mr f up from town. Still got this morning though, so will do the following:
    *Rubber beef. Cooked a beef shank in the slow cooker on Sun & there's enough left by the look of things (plus gravy) to make a big cottage pie for today & tomorrow.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Try & get a small load of washing dry outside.
    *Do the financial tasks I didn't get done yesterday.
    *Pack the apple & ginger chutney I made yesterday into the pantry.....one decorative jar already earmarked for a festive hamper.
    *Cast on 2nd sock (Christmas gift) as I finished the 1st one yesterday.
    *Nip into Waitrose on way back from fetching mr f for free coffees & perusal of the whoopsie shelves.
    *Plan tomorrow's job list as I can see I need to pick more bits from the veggie garden.
    That will do. Coffee finished so will go & have a look at that beef.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning la e! Big decisions ahead... btw I remember you taking out that car!

Was planning to go to the lottie for an hour this morning but it's too wet so hopefully oh won't mind me going tonight when he come home...

Trying to think of fun things to do with madam without spending any cash! Think we'll go to the play group this morning, stop in at the library and get much needed new books, and take a mini picnic & some bread and walk to the river and see if there are ducks about. This afternoon go to the park if she's looking a little bored (also known as getting cabin fever)...

In other news I just want to get the things I listed yesterday done:

* transfer wine must into new demijohn
    * post dd form
    * iron &photo list 6 things on fleabay relist the ones that don't sell tonight phew have just listed 6 items as drafts to put on this evening! I'm on a roll!
    * make comforter bars
    * make apple braid
    * stew apples & freeze in portions. Wrap best apples to store in garage
    * blanch sprouts and freeze
    * chop and freeze leeks
    * make cashew chicken in the sc
    * oh to take the rest of last night lasagna for lunch
    * NSD
    * carry on knitting socks
    * vacuum upstairs & clean toilet
    * feed aubergine plant still fruiting - might have to bring it in what do you think Dawn/Foxgloves?
    * load of washing in machine to hang out when finished
    * onepoll - I'm at £13.30 is it deluded to hope for £40 before the end of the year??

Ok that's all I want to get done
    Last edited by determined new ms; 11-10-2016 at 6:43 PM.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Oct 16, 7:31 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Frugal Saver,
    Yes, you can freeze peppers. They lose their crispness but that doesn't matter for cooking. I chop them into little pots (saved from hummous, etc) & freeze ready to add to toppings when I make pizza or I slice them ready for future use in stirfries & chilli, etc. No need to blanch, just remove seeds, prep as normal & freeze.
    F
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    foxgloves
    DNMS - Aubergines are pretty much tropical plants so as soon as temperatures fall beyong their liking, the plants will die anyway. If you are just wanting to get existing fruits bigger, you could try bringing indoors & continuing to feed. I'm in the same situation with a cucumber plant. It has 3 small ones still on it but I shan't bring it indoors as it's in a mucky growbag. When the plant is obviously carking it, I'll pick them. They'll still be perfectly edible.
    F x
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    determined new ms
    frugal saver I freeze peppers too - just like foxgloves. In fact I freeze most veg, a lot of it I just chop and freeze and don't bother with balnching as I'll use within a few months
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 11th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 18,236 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Twiggy - welcome back

Very grey and miserable here which is also reflecting in my mood, I really need to shake this off. Today's list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Hairdresser @ home - Done
    Ironing -
    Craft -
    Declutter -
    Bump Sale Posts on FB -
    Walk at least 7000 step for Bounts points -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 11-10-2016 at 1:12 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,561Posts Today

7,303Users online

Martin's Twitter