Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• abby1234519
    • By abby1234519 18th Sep 16, 12:38 AM
    • 1,667Posts
    • 2,656Thanks
    Gadget Crazy Abigail doesn't need a new iphone!
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:38 AM
    Gadget Crazy Abigail doesn't need a new iphone! 18th Sep 16 at 12:38 AM
    On the path to being debt free I often find I am tempted (and often give in) to the latest new gadget. After watching the Apple thing on Sep 7th I really struggled not to go and buy the new iphone, I had to be talked down by members of the forum! Having the distraction of responding to posts really helped and so I've decided to start another diary. I started one a few years ago and did not stick to it.

So what is my situation?

I personally have £9828.69 debt to my name. Down from £13458 but I can't attribute that success all to myself as I've had help from family and also it has gone up and down. Really shouldn't be in this situation.

I live with my OH and our son. I work full time, OH is a student and is just about to start part time work - he will keep most of this to pay for his university costs and give me £200 a month to put into household budget.

We have two cars (unfortunately necessary) as OH's university is in a different town - he was getting the train but he can't manage that and work part time. Also, he often takes DS to his mums for the weekend and needs to drive the 2 hours there. Hopefully when he finishes university we can get rid of his car.

My debts are all on 0% deals at the moment (such a relief this year when the last one finally was balance transferred) and I am making minimum payments. The earliest one to run out will be June 2017 which stands at £684. I will be able to transfer this to my BCard as I've got room and they always are trying to get me to do a another BT. So I am confident that my debts will stay 0%

I am working at being frugal - it's not a skill that comes easily to me. I found myself ten minutes ago deciding what new clothes to buy. I had to close ASOS and tell myself I didn't deserve them yet!! Because I don't. Anyway, when I've lost some more weight, I can sell my nice dresses on ebay and use that money to buy ones in smaller sizes.

I finally am making that darn rhubarb jam.

Kilo of jam sugar + kilo of chopped rhubarb plus a splash or 4 of vanilla essence (homemade) and lemon juice into the slow cooker. It's on low and hopefully by morning it's not all fried to a crisp.

Also have whacked my 8 (£1.18) baking potatoes in the oven. They are cooling down to be frozen. Hopefully they aren't disgusting when defrosted but hopefully the homemade baked beans I've got in the freezer will perk them up for lunches at work. I made about 4 kilos of home made baked beans last month....4 kilos...

I've sold my battered ancient tumble dryer for £30 and used that money to buy a small dehumidifer from amazon. I've got a switch timer lying around so when the clothes are drying overnight, will have this running for 4 hours. Worked the cost vs tumble dryer out and its half the price.

My Very debt stands at £167.50 - this is BNPL which ends 07/07/17 (so yes I recently incurred this debt). My aim over the next few months is to chip money off it. I have things on ebay and amazon (books) and when pennies come in, I make a payment to it. I've also got a current snowball/surplus of £20 which is being diverted to the FD credit card that runs out in June. Min payments will pay £180 off it which means I have another £504 to find. After 3 years of using YNAB I've finally understood the "every penny has a job". I was overspending but taking it out of the buffer (because of the way our income works, ie student finance sporadic). This was detrimental and stopped me learning. I've not got OH student finance to go into a savings account and will withdraw 625 every month as if he was getting that as a wage. I've assigned all money left over to a a savings category to build up a small emergency fund. Once I've reached £1000 to £1500 I will then divert money to debt overpayments.

I can do this if I curb my spendings.

Also need to challenge myself to eat frugally and healthy.
    £13,458.86 £9,545.86 £9,108.54
    Working on clearing First Direct CC at £323.62

MBing to clear credit cards
    All interest free currently. Chipping away!
Page 2
    • abby1234519
    • By abby1234519 18th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 2,656 Thanks
    Well done for closing that Very account...temptation, as you say, removed!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Very are horrendous at the moment for emailing back. I've only just had an email to confirm they've received my request!!

Tuesday update

Kitchen still not painted - painter coming this evening. So cooking dinner's going to be awkward if he's starting at 5.30pm.

Went shopping at the weekend, spent over what I intended to spend but not by too much. Mainly because husband wanted the smaller brabantia bin and I wanted the bigger one (£30 more). My reasoning was that our pans were a lot bigger than the opening and we'd end up getting food all over it and ruin the opening mechanism. I do believe in spending money for quality on some occasions and I have been saving to buy it - we did have a swing top bin and the kitchen ended up stinking. We also bought a coffee machine (Tassimo) which I am loving. Obviously the ongoing cost of the pods can be high but I've made a concession which is giving up my cans of diet coke. I also bought a Tefal Soup Maker from lakeland, been wanting that specific model for months but it was £70 - Lakeland had it for £35. Then there were some other bits that we needed, an Oxo Good Grips Pizza Wheel and Garlic Crusher - the last two pizza wheels from supermarket have fallen apart so have invested in a good one. Also bought an Absorb Bin that traps fat, don't want to put fat down the sink.

I got my oven liner and door protector. we need an oven liner, another oven shelf (it has just the one), a grill pan, a sandwich toaster (getting rid of the cumbersome George Foreman), glass jars for the herbs, and I need to get someone in to fit a blind. So yes, £400 is a lot but I think it covers quite a lot. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING? Wonít be put on a credit card.

These are all things I probably didn't need but I had planned in advance and the only think I overspent on was the bin. I've asked OH not to buy me any Christmas presents so he's made a contribution towards the soup maker.

But now I've bought everything I want to for the kitchen, its back to being frugal! Oh wait no I haven't I still haven't got a bookcase. I am still searching for one, ebay is proving fruitless and new is just tooooo much. It's not urgent though

MBing slowing down as I learn how to transition from new accounts to reloads and other ways. Need to start documenting daily earnings so I can keep track of it. Over the next few months my target is £300 a month. £200 to go to debt £100 to go into savings

Food wise - we're having to throw food out as we don't have the space for it. It's not a baaaaad thing because I have a lot of things I just don't need. But it's just choosing what to keep and what to get rid of.

No extra payments being made to credit card at the moment - need to build up MBing bankroll
    £13,458.86 £9,545.86 £9,108.54
    Working on clearing First Direct CC at £323.62

MBing to clear credit cards
    All interest free currently. Chipping away!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,781Posts Today

7,552Users online

Martin's Twitter