Gadget Crazy Abigail doesn't need a new iphone!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd say to your OH that if he does decide to quit the nights he needs to come up with a plan so that the household income doesn't fall. If he can do that, then it's fine, isn't it, but it only works if all the expenditure can still be met. It's fine to give him some responsbility for things as well - it's his household too, and some of it is his debt, also!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say to your OH that if he does decide to quit the nights he needs to come up with a plan so that the household income doesn't fall. If he can do that, then it's fine, isn't it, but it only works if all the expenditure can still be met. It's fine to give him some responsbility for things as well - it's his household too, and some of it is his debt, also!

Well this is the thing. I think we could take a £200 hit as I'd have to save less each month and my snowball would be a lot smaller. So he'd need to earn at least £680 (£880 at the moment every 4 weeks) which is 22 hours at min wage. As he works nights he gets £9.25 which is quite good. He said last night that he thinks he was struggling as he had had a week off and I would imagine that his body reacted badly to his first night back, lack of sleep causes depression etc.

I have tried to get him onboard with budgeting but I'm not sure whether he just doesn't understand it or isn't prepared to. He's never ever budgeted for a household before and when I sit down with YNAB open he glazes over. Not sure if I am making things too complicated for him - not in a patronising way just that he doesn't grasp financial things very well.

Also - maybe it would be too much with him working and at university. He does the shopping list so he's sort of in charge of something!

Not sure how to gently get him involved to be honest
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Actually my aimed December payoff is £887.71 as I've just received £129 into the MB refunds that I forgot about
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    Options
    £357.57 paid out of £887.71

That's my partners CC paid off so it's just the HSBC one left now.

I've got another £366.64 guaranteed to put towards debt, which I will pay off next week hopefully.

Which means I have to find another £33.50 to meet my target
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    Options
    Ok so I did do a little bit of MBing this weekend - I should make £150 from a few offers. Haven't placed anymore as I've not got a big enough bank roll! So thats £150 I can use to put towards a debt so I can't see why I won't meet this months target. Also just realised I have a cheque for £100 to cash so I REALLY should meet this months target, in fact I expect to be £250 over it. Unless I put some of the cheque into savings. Hmmmm. Not sure what to do as I have £595 in my emergency fund, and £200 in my regular saver. I'd like to put it to debt but don't want to get caught out.

Woke up with the serious desire to buy a car to get me through to February for when my lease car arrives. What is wrong with me!? I've managed for over a month now, I think its just that Christmas is going to be difficult, OH needs car for work but I want to go see my mum 2 hours away.

We will work it out and I will NOT waste money.

£180 left for groceries this month which means I've spent £70 over ten days. Not toooo bad I guess, it does include £14 at KFC, £10 for tobacco (must stop that horrible habit) so the actual food spend has been better than usual.

Husband is asleep and DS is at Grandmas for the weekend. I need to keep myself busy this afternoon so I don't spend money. I have cooking to do and freezer sorting out so thats my first thing. Then I'm going to meal plan. I might make a trip to the supermarket but still don't think I can be trusted!!!
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    Options
    Yesterday we had freezer bolognese, today we've had freezer curry. So that's a win. I also didn't spend any money on food at work - made soup last night and defrosted some YS sandwich thins. Husband is at work tonight so I'm going to pop to the shop in between DS going to bed and OH going to work to buy some cream. I've got a jar of leftover green pesto in fridge and have defrosted chicken and bacon. So shall be attempting a chicken pasta dish tonight that we can reheat tomorrow. I'll cook the pasta tomorrow so that's fresh.

Sold something on a Facebook group today so am going to put that £28 in the food jar and transfer the £28 across to the credit card (and minus it out of food budget)

Opened a TSB bank to keep some of OHs student loan in, should earn interest whilst it sits in there.
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    Options
    So nearly half way through the month - this is usually where it goes wrong!

I've just canceled Kindle UnLimited. I go through phases of using it loads and haven't over the past couple of weeks. I've got quite a few books on my iPad (free ones) so don't need it. I only have it because I read a lot, I mean a book a day. But I'll renew it when I've finished all the ones I currently have. I've got about two thousand books saved in the icloud so can't see I'll need to renew for a while!

Husband shut his phone in the car door and nearly snapped it in half. It's still working but I'm really not happy about the state of it because I'm worried that the bend in the back is putting pressure on the battery and don't want it to leak.

I've looked at the Moto G4 which I can get for around £150. I'm waiting till after Christmas to see if it goes down even more but it will have to come out of the MB money I had planned to put towards this months debt target. So I need to see how I can afford it AND make the payment to credit card.

I do have £700 savings but don't want to dip into that. I'd rather try to make the money. I've got stuff to put on ebay so will be working on that this week
    Money money money.

Debt

• Chandelier.
    Options
    Hi Abby..

I know what you mean with books... I read a ton and used to spend loads on amazon kindle... my friend introduced me to somewhere where you can pay a small contribution (I think the minimum is £1 a year) and you can download plenty of books and request ones you can't find and they'll find them for you. It's certainly saved me lots of money and is good for my sanity. If you want to find out about this, message me and I can give you a link for more info. They have a FB group with lots of info and help.

Xx
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Hi Abby..

I know what you mean with books... I read a ton and used to spend loads on amazon kindle... my friend introduced me to somewhere where you can pay a small contribution (I think the minimum is £1 a year) and you can download plenty of books and request ones you can't find and they'll find them for you. It's certainly saved me lots of money and is good for my sanity. If you want to find out about this, message me and I can give you a link for more info. They have a FB group with lots of info and help.

Xx

Ooooh thats a good idea!

I have got tons already mind you but if I run out I will come back to this :)
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    Options
    Spent £72.55 on car parts today (budgeted for)

Headlamps weren't going to pass next MOT as they are cloudy, got some from ebay plus a replacement cigarette light for the car as thats dead.

£7.69 spent on the bulbs (got some hopefully long lasting ones)

I would guesstimate this will cost me less than £50 to have the headlamps fitted, should be a lot less but then I don't know how much work the cigarette lighter will cost to replace. Also don't think the wheel bearing's been done either. Was going to take it to the usual garage we go to but might have to take it to one near me.

Have £161.89 left in the car maintenance category for this month.

Can't decide whether I should move it all to savings (not having car work done till January) or put half of it to a credit card. I've budgeted another £30 in January so maybe I could even put £100 on a credit card and then I've got £90 left over for the fixes...hmmmmm
    Money money money.

Debt

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business