Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,015Posts
    • 8,319Thanks
    TallGirl
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor 16th Sep 16 at 3:46 PM
    Dear all
    I've been around a long time on this MFW for a long time and I love it. Keeps me on track and helped me pay off my mortgage 9 years early. I'm on the verge on starting something new so I thought I would start a new diary and focus it more on money saving and less on personal stuff. My life was quite steady and stable until April 2015 when I left my husband and took a one year job in London all made easier and more ore possible because I was mortgage free.

My job ended in July 2016 and I had hoped to stay within the organisation in a new job but I didn't get it and they didn't recruit anyone else. I am a great believer in that things will happen for the right reason and good things come to good people. Whilst on holiday and on my birthday I was told my ex had died and as we were still married I now owned the whole house plus his pensions and share in the small family business.

I applied for a new job whilst on holiday and I start that Monday its 28 hours a week with Friday's off and it's obviously on less month than my previous full time one.

I have been busy in the last two months sorting the house out so I can rent I out from October which will give me an income as well.

I have been trying to get his affairs in order so I can apply for probate and I'm getting there. So good folks if you want to read about the following kinds of topics then please feel free to read and or comment:
    • How to be an accidental landlord
    • How to go about getting probate and IHT sorted
      • How to invest an inheritance
      • How to keep accounts as a landlord
        • How to save money on everyday things whilst living in London

There will be more and I often stray into personal totally unrelated money stuff so just gloss over that if you find it boring.

So here we are start of something new so a quick update on where we are with the above topics.

1. Property should be ready after 27/9 as carpets going down then. Estate agent doesn't want to market it before it's completely ready. Once painter is done need to arrange final clean and my old cleaner to hang curtains.

2. My accountant friend has suggested the valuation of the family business is ok to use and my new IFA confirmed the two pensions are outside inheritance tax so I should be able to more forward on this very soon.

3. Meeting the IFA 30/9 potential inheritance will be around 190k will need to pay funeral expenses but want to invest most of it.

4. I need to read up on how to keep accounts as a landlord not sure I need an accountant but as I'm now a part business owner I might have too. Will definitely register with Inland Revenue but as house isn't rent out yet nothing has changed.

5. Finally I love saving money from getting the best deal to using coupons and tokens. I'm very good but can also be very bad. It's expensive to live in London but I'm a property guardian so my rent is so so cheap so I should really save lots of money. I promise I'll do a budget once I get my new wages, I would rather live on this than have to use my income from my property but might be difficult .

Ok I will end there and try and keep on the straight and narrow in terms of sticking with money saving stuff.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 16-09-2016 at 6:48 PM.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
Page 9
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Apr 17, 10:15 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Golf today really nice booked buggy again 25 only to receive email this morning that it was free if booked game today. We booked last night typical.

Took lunch with us to eat on course and didn't stay for drink afterwards does cut down on cost and still enjoyable. I didn't play too badly just a few studpid mistakes.

DG won three golf clubs on eBay 275 buy it now price but they accepted 230 so happy with that. They are already cut down and so much cheaper than new she will have use of those for years now so that's good.

Tired so early night for me soon.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 18th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Lovely Easter weekend fairly expensive but lovely golf and chilling plus lots of naughty food really need to get back in the gym.

Off to Denmark today flight not until 6pm so time to pack and get last few things need two outfits funeral and confirmation but got everything so no problem. Can't find my peals they were my grandmothers so sad but might be a slim chance they are in Denmark. I do hope so.

Week 5 of my openlearn course I'm a bit ahead and will do some now so that leave less to do while away. It's quite complex but really interesting not sure I've got everything though but it's a kind of overview to everything.

Still not heard a thing from any of the jobs I went for its four in total one hasn't closed yet, the MSE I don't think so as they changed it but the two maternity covers I would hope I hear from one at least.

When I get back I'm going to get into a routine with gym and then obviously do some more job hunting. I might join the golf club and spend some time doing that or I could do some volunteering. Hopefully my old work sends out the P45 and P60 as I really don't want to chase them. It's been a month and they still haven't done it I think that's crap.

I think that's it best get on with some study before I get up.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 18th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Hopefully my old work sends out the P45 and P60 as I really don't want to chase them. It's been a month and they still haven't done it I think that's crap.

I think that's it best get on with some study before I get up.
    Originally posted by TallGirl
    You won't get a P60 if you left before 6/4/17. You just need the figures on your P45 as that will show what you earned up to the day you left (unless they paid you after issuing your P45). I don't know why they are delaying sending your P45, they should be able to do it after your last pay day.

I hope the funeral goes as well as it can and that you hear from your job applications soon.
    Last edited by SuzieSue; 18-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 18th Apr 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Ok thanks I though that was the reason they were delaying sending it. Strange indeed will chase when I get back I'm also still in touch with a woman I knew before I started.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 21st Apr 17, 9:33 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Funeral went well about 40 people the home was lovely on the day a lot of his friends came and they said such lovely things about him. He was there for over 50 years so well known. Emptied out his place afterwards my sister and I didn't fight over anything. Loads of furniture I would have liked but not possible to transport and not antique so not worth it. Chose some paintings and a few other bits which I can bring back bit by bit. My dad fitted his clothes so that was quite handy as he looks a bit of a mess at time and we always bought my uncle clothes so he had loads.

Inheritance will be sorted out by mum signed my paperwork. Not sure how much it will be he left 10k to the home and the tax here is penal. I want to use some of the money to keep the family plot at the graveyard my gran is buried at. My mum will most likely be there too hopefully not for many years.

Off to pick friend of at the airport in 1/2 hour look forward to seeing her and we will then head off to my sisters. Lots of work to do over there so she's looking forward to the help. Sunday is the confirmation so it's all go now but I've written my speech and got the card so all done.

Mum is back now better end here, No calls re interviews I must have messed up the applications time for a rethink when I get back .

I'm just packed and ready
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 26th Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Wow been a while but had a lovely week in Denmark really good to see the family and be there to help out both with the funeral but also the confirmation preparations.

Funeral went well the home brought his friends and careers and we were about 40. Emptied his flat out and I got a few bits mainly that had been my grans which was nice. That was the Wednesday and then the Friday my friend came over and we went to my sisters. Lots of prep to do as she was having 70 people for a sit down dinner in her house. 20 were children but even so meant all her furntinture from the lounge had to be moved out and lots of tables put up. It looked like a pop up restaurant in the end. Really lovely day the church service was beautiful and the speeches and songs amazing but most of all by nephew was lovely and so handsome. He's a brilliant kid so is my niece.

Back here DG was getting more and more agitated by having to share our living room so we suddenly hit on the idea of renting a second room as one of the guys are moving out 1/6. We pay 1 1/2 rent for this room so that would go down to 1 and it would be one for the other one. We pay 614 now in total and with doubling the space we will pay 896 (rent going up a bit on both rooms sadly) that's not bad for london and means we can easily have the odd overnight guest as I have a sofa bed we use for a sofa now. Guardian company has accepted so just hope he moves out so we can start arranging everything.

Anyway back to trip couple of days with my mum and then arrived back st midnight last night. Really enjoyed being there with the family and getting away from job hunting.

Today need more sleep and then unpack and washing. Will need to check when the two jobs I applied for ran out and see if there still a chance I might get an interview. If not start again obviously. Also need to catch up on investment course and I have the log ins for my professional conversion tests so need to start on them. Plenty too keep me busy plus need to get back to gym.

Big Lidl shop needed tonight as DG has run everything down really low. I've brought flour mix back so can make my own ryebread which will be fab. I think that's kind of it for now hope everyone is well.

Oh forgot to say my tenants are splitting up so leaving at the end of next month end of their initial six month. So crap I now have to pay all the fees again and might have a month without rent. Could really do without that right now. Agent is saying there aren't many properties around right now so fingers crossed and hopefully the house is still in pristine conditions as it was all done up fresh in October.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 26-04-2017 at 8:48 AM.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 27th Apr 17, 8:13 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Quite a productive day started with gym for 10am class but doors has locked so staff couldn't get in so went shopping instead. Found the padlocks I wanted to chain my garden furniture for half price 5 nice study ones and all same key for three.

Got my free Waitrose coffee and essential then walked home as well saving bus fare.

Applied for two jobs with the same agency one really low pay but would get me in to a grant making organisation. It's temp full time and only open one week so fingers crossed I've got a chance. Second one closes today wasn't going to apply but then it's a grant maker and I realised I actually have the relevant experience plus it's quite low grade but up to 35k which I can live with. Less strategic and health related so good learning experience and maybe progression possible who knows.

Should hear within a week it says better than the others which I'm sure I'm not going forward on one is definitely out and the MSE one changed.

Got wifi booster set up well DG did so nice fast internet now. So freezing cold or I would have done some gardening. Didn't get a chance to do my course which is a shame as I'm behind.

Doctors tomorrow for health check hope they will refer me for new insoles. I think that's it roll on tomorrow.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 27th Apr 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Why do you need insoles, if you don't mind me asking?
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 28th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    SuzieSue thanks for popping in I have really flat feet and one leg is longer than the other so I have worn them since I was a kid always specially fitted. My current pair are worn out and my foot is starting to hurt if I walk long distances.

Today has to be productive seen another job to apply for it's a step below what I should aim for and salery not good but I know I would enjoy it. I do have all the relevant experience if a little dated some of it. Closes 11/5 so plenty of time.

I must get on with the study the Open uni stuff is a week behind and ends Sunday but that's ok and I must start on the other one which is my professional qualification but I might need a handbook for this. Need to check it out.

Got yesterday guardian company wants to send out contracts for us to rent second room so it's all official just need a moving in date.

Got that health check at 11 today to time for a list as later on were off to the gym then dinner then golf should be the plan.

Treat jobs
    Open Uni complete week five start on six if time
    Pot up some courgette seeds
    Make rye read

Boring jobs
    Re do CV in new smarter format
    Print out stuff for job ending 11/5 it's competency based

I thInk I need to break it down so all gets done and I don't spend too long on the treat jobs. Mix it up would be good. Still in bed so firstly Open Uni course I'm thinking

Will update later.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 28-04-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 28th Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Health check fine 1% chance of getting a heart attack, diabetes or stroke and bloods etc all fine. Had to book app for insoles will be Weds so that's done.

Bread waiting to go into oven (can't spell proper word) and I've completed week 5 passed 100% on test just last week to do.

Will go down and do new cv format now and then the courgettes later obviously bake my bread too.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 28th Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    So I did make the bread and completed week five only last one to do. I didn't get courgettes done.

Printed stuff I needed out but didn't read it, didn't look at CV but did one study on accreditation and passed one of five but failed one. Only get two tries so really annoyed. Should have paid better attention but I've now bought a reference book so that will help for the rest.

Went to gym with DG got Tesco order done for Saturday for next weeks lunches (should have been Monday but money off voucher would have run out otherwise. Eight quid was worth it it can if I cost me four for delivery. Really tired now was going to golf but didn't happen will tomorrow and rest of theweekend.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 29th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Excellent day today lots done as no hangovers lol. First joined golf club which was 1012 each for 13 months but it allows us to play six other courses one which is near my house on the South Coast so happy days and I like that course too. Hit some balls on the range and also practised then came home, quick chill then gym for 30 min class. Home for lunch then off for playing on the main course but we only managed 8 quite tired by that time. I'm very excited about being a member again I'll get my handicap and start playing in competitions again. Can't wait Also meet new people of course. DG will need a bit more time before she can get handicap but her new clubs are great she's hitting it much further and today was day one with them I'm so proud of her. (She for clubs second hand on EBay.).

Really tired now hot chocolate and then bed for me playing again tomorrow afternoon.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 30th Apr 17, 12:50 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hello Tall Girl. I have been away and now back after a lot of life turmoil.

Sorry to hear that your life has been just as traumatic and I am sorry to hear about the passing of family members. Lost my brother whilst away so I know it can be a bit difficult.

However, there have been some good times had as well by you. Not sure the loss of the cats is good, but I know you will have done the best for them.

Will keep reading your diary and wishing all good things for you going forward.

Tx
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 1st May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Hi Tahlullah thanks for popping in saw you were back nice to see your old diary resurrected. Sorry you lost your brother really not nice hope you have other family left so you can get through it together. I will miss my uncle he's been part of all my life but he was in a home and had issues however happy and content but had he recovered from this lung issue it would have meant lots of rehab no possibly no quality of life.

Yes I miss my cats lots think about them but I know they are in safe hands and I can visit as often as I can. They are much loved and perfectly safe from harm whereas with me they would have had to be indoor cats and even so I would have worried about them getting out.

Had a lovely bank holiday don't want it to end lots of golf only eight holes each day but building up to it. DG is getting so much better and with the membership I will improve too as I'll be playing with the ladies once I get my handicap back.

Tomorrow I must do my open uni course one week behind but then it's done. Need to do the professional qualification and apply for some jobs. Seen a job back in CAB thinking about it it's good pay and sounds just like what I can do. Swore I wouldn't go back into cab but seriously thinking about it. Will email contact and see what she thinks of that particular cab they look good on paper.

Anyway enough for now think I'll sleep well tonight.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 2nd May 17, 9:06 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    New list needed as lots to do today

Treat jobs
    Open Uni start week six a week behind but last one watched one video want to do the other 4 so two hours to do plus rest of weeks course
    Pot up some courgette seeds done
    Speak to Pro and arrange lessons for DG as her birthday present. Done and boooked
    Take DGs prescription indone

Boring jobs
    Continue to work through GGMA
    Print out stuff for job at CAB start planning competencies done got intelligence to suggest they recruit for that post every two years CEO might be difficult to work with.
    Email about selling golf clubs done waiting for offer
    Email contact about volunteering and job - done
    Cook pork dish buy onions first done but without onions forgot to buy

To do list looking good but cannot be asked to do more today. Getting lazy having time off I know. Looked at suggested volunteering opportunities but all very basic and require full training. I've done the training but two years ago so emailed back my contact asking if I can be considered. We shall see.

Gym tonight at 6pm also need to complete pork dish which is in slow cooker right now. One more housemate paid up for broadband so DG will only be 5 out of pocket if the rest pays up but we do now own a super booster for wifi.

Hopefully more productive day tomorrow.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 02-05-2017 at 4:00 PM.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Morning focus needed today so new to do list looking at jobs and getting more and more confused on what direction I wish to take.

I seems to scatter myself each day and obviously not hear back from anyone. Well new focus today hopefully. Updated my linked in profile I know a lot of people who knows if I get anything through there.

Boring jobs
    Continue to work through GGMA
    List rain jacket on EBay
    Apply for CAB job

Fun jobs
    Complete my Open Uni course

Got GP appointment for insoles at 12 let's hope they grant it. Also golf club buyer coming Friday he will give me a couple of hundred for the left handed clubs I know they could fetch more on Enay but there's too many and they are not complete.

Pictures tonight two for one Beauty and the Beast should be nice no gym also need to get birthday card for DG but could wait until I'm going to the shops anyway.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 03-05-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 3rd May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    SuzieSue

Pictures tonight two for one Beauty and the Beast should be nice no gym also need to get birthday card for DG but could wait until I'm going to the shops anyway.
    Originally posted by TallGirl

If you open a Club Lloyds current account you get 6 free cinema tickets a year. You need a couple of dds I think and need to fund it each month. It also pays 2% interest up to 5k I think. We've got 3 between us so we get 18 cinema tickets every year . We don't go to the cinema so we give them to the children, we opened it for the interest when it was 4%.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd May 17, 4:43 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks re the Lloyds account very useful need to think about that one.

Been quite productive got the referral I needed from GP but spilled superglue on my red trousers and now they are ruined. Tried acetone but bent the mark so it cracked and ripped the fabric. Don't think they can be saved shame as newish Long Tall Sally ones.

Boring jobs
    Re do CV in new smarter format done looks great much neater and shorter
    Continue to work through GGMA not done but got handbook so no excuses now
    List rain jacket on EBay
    Apply for CAB job started long competency based one

Fun jobs
    Complete my Open Uni course two videos down three to go.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th May 17, 11:34 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Not very productive so far didn't make 10am gym didn't sleep too well late night. Got back from pictures to a whatapp exchange between two house mates. One runs his self employed business out of the large dinning room and the other couple have now made a sitting area behind where he's set up. It's quite a way away and they got there long before he set up just never used it. He was basically saying he needed peace and quiet for his business and it wasn't acceptable he had to take phone calls in his room. He is really loud on the phone and he works all hours particularly between six and eleven pm. Upshot was he ended up packing his office down after demanding the rest of us shared the communical space. What an idiot most stupid thing is he's moving at he end of the month and last night one person was behind him reading a book. Phew at least he's given notice which means we can get the room very soon.

I need to do gym today poss not a class just a work out myself then get a card and wrapping paper for DG but so far waiting for her present to turn up. Beauty and the Beast was really good booked to see guardians of the galaxy in 4DX even get discount with meercats two for one. It's on her birthday and she really wants to do it I'm not fussed. Look ok.

Seen another job one step up from the one I was thinking about. It's a large organisation and looks Lille it could be the one. Long competency based application so need to look at that and the CAB one today.

First mooch around diaries here.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 5th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Sold my ex DHs golf clubs sat around for too long and needed to go 200 in my pocket which is fine not much of a market for left handed clubs.

Redeems 86 in amazon vouchers from quidco and added to account which is nice

Not done a lot else need to have some lunch and do some job application didn't do any yesterday really lazy. Really must get on with open uni course as well.

Planned my trip to cornwall and Devon staying with three different friends five nights so will be great. Quite looking forward to it and there's a round of golf as well. Three of them are people I met in my travelling job with work so might be useful for connections or ideas for jobs for me.

Also swapped our golf bags over to the bigger ones just about fits in the car and much nicer to use bigger and fit on the trolleys.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 08-05-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    Save 12k in 17 no 93
    2750/12k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,184Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin