Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not loc... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not local authority!)
Views: 49,418
# 1
inapicklepleasehelp
Old 15-09-2007, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not local authority!)

I need help...

I'm in a bit of a grey area! I'm heavily pregnant and suffering from SPD (a condition that affects the hips) I am now unable to drive at all but two weeks ago I was photographed in a disabled bay in a private car park. I would never normally use these bays as I feel strongly that they are a requirement for the people that need them, however, the week before I had to wait 2 hours for the driver parked next to me to return to his vehicle as I couldn't open my door wide enough to access my vehicle. Before parking there I drove around the car park looking for an end space so that I wouldn't have to use the disabled bay but there were none vacant, as there were no mother and baby spaces either I felt I had no other choice.

I was under the impression that disabled parking bays in private car parks were advisory only but I have received a parking charge from UKPC of 45 going up to 90 if not paid within 14 days.

Should I dispute this? I can of course provide a medical certificate to my condition and my numerous referrals to physiotherapy and proof of my chiropracty treatment.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to inapicklepleasehelp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
globalds
Old 15-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It seems lots of people aren't happy with the way this company operates .Have a look on this web site ....The thread is under the big advert..it is another site a bit like Money saving expert.The link is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...king-fine.html
It seems threatening people is a tactic they employ as a first response .
It may take some reading ,but should either empower or enlighten you ...
It does seem ignoring their threats ..although worrying, may be the simplest way of not paying ...good luck
If you want to phone them ..They won't want you doing this ..The number with a person on the end is here.

UKPC'S NUMBER?
iTS 08702283344
Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret

Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.

..............JAFA CHALENGE ......01/08...#16

Last edited by globalds; 15-09-2007 at 2:51 PM.
# 3
Hapless
Old 15-09-2007, 2:26 PM

Location: In a village somewhere so rural in devon it doesn't show up on sat nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by inapicklepleasehelp View Post
I need help...

I was under the impression that disabled parking bays in private car parks were advisory only but I have received a parking charge from UKPC of 45 going up to 90 if not paid within 14 days.
If they request that disabled badges are to be on display and you do not have one then unfortunately you should not have used a disabled bay. could you not get a temporary parking badge from the council? I know some councils will issue them.
The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
Wk 2 78.06
Wk 3 163.06
Wk 4
# 4
sarahg1969
Old 15-09-2007, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapless View Post
If they request that disabled badges are to be on display and you do not have one then unfortunately you should not have used a disabled bay. could you not get a temporary parking badge from the council? I know some councils will issue them.
This is irrelevant in a private car park. OP, I have replied to your thread in the other forum.

DO NOT PAY!!!!!!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...=22678&hl=ukpc

Last edited by sarahg1969; 15-09-2007 at 2:38 PM. Reason: ETA link to information re UKPC
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Hapless
Old 15-09-2007, 4:34 PM

Location: In a village somewhere so rural in devon it doesn't show up on sat nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahg1969 View Post
This is irrelevant in a private car park. OP, I have replied to your thread in the other forum.

DO NOT PAY!!!!!!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...=22678&hl=ukpc
If the sign says disabled badges must be shown then the reply was not irrelevant.
I am fed up with people abusing blue badge parking bays in public and private car parks!
Don't park in disabled bays if you do not have a legal blue badge...simple enough for you sarahg1969???????
The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
Wk 2 78.06
Wk 3 163.06
Wk 4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hapless For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Butlers1982
Old 15-09-2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Should I dispute this? I can of course provide a medical certificate to my condition and my numerous referrals to physiotherapy and proof of my chiropracty treatment
Are you registered disabled? If not then you shouldnt have parked in a space.

With reference to people telling you not to pay- wake up and smell the coffee. Your in the wrong, you shouldnt be parking in the wrong bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Butlers1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
globalds
Old 15-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butlers1982 View Post
Are you registered disabled? If not then you shouldnt have parked in a space.

With reference to people telling you not to pay- wake up and smell the coffee. Your in the wrong, you shouldnt be parking in the wrong bay
The parking in a disabled spot is not the issue .
The question of whether a penalty can be charged by a private company on private land is the point we are adressing ...It seems this company is not prepared to fight in court the legality of this ..Although it seems to be quite happy to use it's debt collection subsiduary to threaten law abiding folk with County court and debt colllectors.
All we are advising is give it back to them ..Let them take you to court ...The very threat they make is it seems the very thing they won't do ..they are breaking the law not you ...
Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret

Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.

..............JAFA CHALENGE ......01/08...#16
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to globalds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
sarahg1969
Old 15-09-2007, 11:49 PM

No, no, no, you should not pay.

You should not have parked in the space, and if this were a council car park, then you would be bang to rights, I'm afraid.

But the issue of the blue badge is irrelevant, as you have not been fined. You have received an invoice for the alleged breach of a purported contract between you and the owners of the car park.

I can't understand why anyone would think you should pay these people some money for nothing. They have lost nothing, so you owe them nothing.

I can see that the matter of disabled spaces is a very emotive one, but I still don't see the reason for anyone telling you to accept your "punishment". Why, oh why, would you want to send money to a private company that makes money out of this kind of thing - they don't do it as a service to the public - it is a money-making business.

If you've got a spare 90 knocking about, PM me and I'll tell you my address - I'll have it.

What you need to do is to go to pepipoo.com and look on there. They will confirm for you that you HAVE NOT BEEN FINED. It really is that simple.

Sarah
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sharron123
Old 19-08-2008, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default parking fines

my daughter parked on a pub car park and ran into a shop oppisite to get change for the machine, she was gone 5mins max, on her return she had a ticket for 90, no less if you pay early. she was so upset she came straight home, we appealed in writing right away, and recieved a reply of "appeal denied please pay 90 immediatly" . that was all we recieved any one with advise of what to do next would be grateful
thanks
# 10
peter_the_piper
Old 19-08-2008, 8:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

A pity she bothered to appeal. They never, ever accept any appeal. why should they, all they want is her cash. If you go to the pepipoo website and ask the same as above they will help and reassure you both.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Horace
Old 19-08-2008, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inapicklepleasehelp View Post
I need help...

I'm in a bit of a grey area! I'm heavily pregnant and suffering from SPD (a condition that affects the hips) I am now unable to drive at all but two weeks ago I was photographed in a disabled bay in a private car park. I would never normally use these bays as I feel strongly that they are a requirement for the people that need them, however, the week before I had to wait 2 hours for the driver parked next to me to return to his vehicle as I couldn't open my door wide enough to access my vehicle. Before parking there I drove around the car park looking for an end space so that I wouldn't have to use the disabled bay but there were none vacant, as there were no mother and baby spaces either I felt I had no other choice.

I was under the impression that disabled parking bays in private car parks were advisory only but I have received a parking charge from UKPC of £45 going up to £90 if not paid within 14 days.

Should I dispute this? I can of course provide a medical certificate to my condition and my numerous referrals to physiotherapy and proof of my chiropracty treatment.
To park in a disabled bay where ever it is you need to display a blue disabled badge. If you are disabled maybe you should apply for DLA and in particular the mobility part of it.

If the appeal to the company has failed then contact the national parking appeals people and appeal to them stating the reasons why you were parked in a disabled bay - they may take note of your medical condition.

Anyway, there should be signs in place saying clampers at work - people have a right to employ the services of a clamping company if they are troubled by people parking without paying. If there are no signs, speak to your trading standards dept.
Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150

Last edited by Horace; 19-08-2008 at 8:51 PM.
# 12
peter_the_piper
Old 19-08-2008, 9:06 PM

Unfortunately there is no national parking appeals service which applies to PPC's and trading standards will not be in the least interested. The BPA are only a club for private parking companies and are not that interested in the public. There are legal eagles on the sites mentioned above who are only too willing to help people out. You will probably be advised to ignore them as nothing will come of it in the long run. This does not apply to police and council tickets which must be taken seriously but still can often be cancelled if you know how to go about it, this is where these sites can really be useful.
# 13
Horace
Old 20-08-2008, 11:55 AM

To be honest with you I get annoyed with people like the OP who choose to park in a disabled bays be they on private land or not when they are not disabled. It is not her right to park there - by doing so she has prevented an employee or whatever from going to work and attending to their business.

It is her responsibility to check for signage relating to parking times, whether or not clampers are in operation. Ignorance is no defence I am afraid nor is being pregnant.

I have a disability but I do not get DLA and do not have a blue badge and there is no way on this earth that I will ever park in a disabled bay - I am considerate towards those who are genuinely disabled.
Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
The Following User Says Thank You to Horace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
peter_the_piper
Old 20-08-2008, 12:35 PM

I could not agree more with that and go out of my way to ensure I don't park in the wrong place. That does not, however, give the PPC the right to try and fool the public into paying extortionate amounts for transgressing. If the amount charged went in any way to the staff or disabled it would not be so bad. The money only goes into their pockets and does not help the disadvantaged. A local pub clamps non customers and the release fee of £20.00 goes to the local hospice, that at least is acceptable.
# 15
Jez Wolf
Old 20-08-2008, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Horace - which law states that you need a blue badge to park in disabled spaces in a private car park?

Replying to these Private Parking Companies only encourages them to continue their threatening letters.

By replying, you are classed as a "hooked fish" who might pay up in the face of ever more ludicrous threatograms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jez Wolf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
mpython
Old 20-08-2008, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Wolf View Post
Horace - which law states that you need a blue badge to park in disabled spaces in a private car park?

Commercial Contract Law you agreed to in using the private car park?

Anti Social Behaviour Orders?

Common Curtesy?

Disability Discrimination Act?
# 17
maninthestreet
Old 20-08-2008, 2:11 PM

I don't think the Disability Act outlaws parking in a disabled parking space on private or even public land.
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Jez Wolf
Old 20-08-2008, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Mpython - "Anti Social Behaviour orders" - please explain/expand

Also "Common curtesy" [sic] - is not a law as I understand it.

And re: Commercial Law - where is the consideration necessary to validate a contract?

Last edited by Jez Wolf; 20-08-2008 at 7:20 PM. Reason: late ideas added
# 19
mpython
Old 21-08-2008, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthestreet View Post
I don't think the Disability Act outlaws parking in a disabled parking space on private or even public land.
I disagree, I believe it applies to private & public organisations. RM accepted their culpability here.

From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!

Last edited by mpython; 21-08-2008 at 2:43 PM.
# 20
mpython
Old 21-08-2008, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Wolf View Post
Mpython - "Anti Social Behaviour orders" - please explain/expand

Also "Common curtesy" [sic] - is not a law as I understand it.

And re: Commercial Law - where is the consideration necessary to validate a contract?
Jez,

Anti-social behaviour orders canbe sought for all manner of ant-social behaviour, including parking in disabled bays.

Commerical law, see posts passum, there are plenty of examples people being taken to court by these companies. There are, of course ways to defend yourself - again see posts passum.

I'm not sure why you're questioning the law of common curtesy, what type of society do you want to live in? May I ask whether you think its acceptable for able bodied drivers to park in marked disabled driver bays - whether they've been provided by Tesco or the Council?
From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!

Last edited by mpython; 21-08-2008 at 2:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mpython For This Useful Post: Show me >>