Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 6th Apr 16, 9:31 PM
    • 285Posts
    • 1,532Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    New here and really need to sort myself out(please move if in wrong place)
    • 6th Apr 16, 9:31 PM
    New here and really need to sort myself out(please move if in wrong place) 6th Apr 16 at 9:31 PM
    Hi, I'll cut to the chase - I'm hoping to get into some sort of routine and hope that financial bliss will follow basically.

I have a part time job but the 3 days of the week I do work the shifts are all over the place but I'm hoping to hand in a letter during my holiday next month to ask to be put on a full time mon-fri contract when I get back off holiday, which will hopefully provide some sort of consistency to my day to day life.

We also have so much stuff in this house, I'm not talking junk that can just be binned or goods we can sell but I'm talking 5 bottles of the same car shampoo in the shed... Stuff that cost a lot but can't be sold and would be a shame to bin and may come in useful once the garbage men have picked it up.

I have quite a lot of cosmetics but without a routine I'm like 'oh I'll use that up before moving on to the next one!' use it like crazy then just stop, for no reason at all, leaving half a bottle of something to languish for a further 6 months...

This might be a bit tmi for some but I'm perhaps a bit too lax in the hygiene department too... I'll only bother stepping foot in the bathroom if I need to leave the house...

I don't have any children, and I have a boyfriend(who perhaps needs some structure in his life too!) who lives here with me and my parents.
Page 14
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 28th May 16, 1:41 PM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 28,173 Thanks
    monnagran
    Gemma, is there any reason why you have to go home at lunchtime?
    You may have more chance of getting a morning job in the city where you work in the afternoons. Take a packed lunch with you and all is well. Just don't rule out any possibility. Take any job that's going and that you can possibly find the time for.
    Will you be tired? You bet! Will you resent having to work so hard? Sometimes you will, without a doubt. Will it be all worthwhile in the end? A million times YES.

At your age I was teaching full time, doing home tuition for a disabled child after school every day, running a youth club 2 evenings a week and in the school holidays I looked after a family of children with a single Dad.
    I'm not blowing my own trumpet, many of us were doing the same sort of thing. Sometimes I didn't know how to put one foot in front of the other but when I married we had the deposit for buying our own house.
    My brother also taught full time, gave music lessons in the evenings and weekends and worked on building sites in the school holidays. He also had the means to start buying his own house when he was married.

It's no good waiting for the stroke of luck. I've never known a stroke of luck.
    It's hard work that will get you where you want to be. Don't expect it to be a barrel of laughs but the satisfaction you will have when you see your savings mounting up is unbelievable.

You won't be 25 for ever. The work that you put in now will make sure that when you are 35, 45 and 55 you will be reaping the benefits but you have to start putting in the foundation now. Otherwise you will be building your house on sand and we all know what happened to that.
    You are not doing this alone. We are all applauding from the side lines.

JackieO: that is exactly what we used mutter under our breath when Dad delivered his virtuous axiom.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 28th May 16, 2:09 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,301 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I just can't get my head around a grown woman - single, able bodied and intelligent - just working part time and living day to day... that doesn't fit with the story you're telling us.
    Originally posted by Tiddlywinks

This is why I have not commented before -

The OP's posts are very well written and give the impression that the writer is intelligent and educated.

It doesn't add up to me that the writer of such posts would be drifting along in a part time dead end job at the age of 25.

None of it adds up.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 13th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    This is why I have not commented before -

The OP's posts are very well written and give the impression that the writer is intelligent and educated.

It doesn't add up to me that the writer of such posts would be drifting along in a part time dead end job at the age of 25.

None of it adds up.
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    You can be educated/intelligent and still struggling to find your way. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 2:21 PM
    • 9,495 Posts
    • 21,109 Thanks
    suki1964
    You can be educated/intelligent and still struggling to find your way. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Originally posted by Houseplant26

You drag up a 5 month old thread just to make a dig?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 13th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Genuinely didn't spot this was an old thread. I'm in another with Gemma and felt it was a bit unfair the way this had been left.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    • 9,495 Posts
    • 21,109 Thanks
    suki1964
    Genuinely didn't spot this was an old thread. I'm in another with Gemma and felt it was a bit unfair the way this had been left.
    As you can see, we spent 13 pages trying to help Gemma, but Gemma didn't want helping

I know I personally took a lot of time offering help
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 13th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Hope Gemma is doing OK (I'm assuming it's the same Gemma?)
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

745Posts Today

4,514Users online

Martin's Twitter