old speakers not compatible with new amp?

Options
i have just purchased a new amp/receiver from richer sounds.

i told the guy i wanted it to hook up to old speakers, turntable and cd player and asked if i would need connection cables, which i used before to connect to a pre amp, and he said i wouldnt.

i also asked if these things were universally compatible and he said they were but when i got it home, i couldnt connect my speakers. they have a sort of 2 pronged bit at the end of the cable, where as the connection to the amp is just one round hole.

will i have to buy new speakers or can u get adapters for this sort of thing. i have not even looked to see if my cd player or turntable will even hook up but as they are nearly as ancient as the speakers, i have my doubts.

i wanted a receiver rather than an amp as i want to listen to internet radio on it but have no faith i will be able to set that up properly.

unlike many previous visits to richers sounds over the years, i felt the guy could have been more helpful (they werent especially busy) and he assumed i had some prior knowledge of this type of thing where as i do not!

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do your speaker plugs look like this?

two-pin-din-plug.gif
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you outline the make and model of the amp you purchased, and the other equipment you wish to connect to it, including the speakers and the pre-amp?
  • aliceb1234
    aliceb1234 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    googler i cant download the pic at the moment

its a YAMAHA RN500 amp/receiver

the 2 small bookcase speakers are from a midi hifi system from about 30 years ago

the CD is a sherwood, about 25 years old

the turntable is from about 20 years ago and is a sherwood too

none of this has been used for 10 years or so. i used an old amp and everything worked OK, then i never got round to replacing the amp till now. i need to connect everything first to check if working and that seems to be an issue with the speakers at least!
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    aliceb1234 wrote: »
    googler i cant download the pic at the moment

its a YAMAHA RN500 amp/receiver

the 2 small bookcase speakers are from a midi hifi system from about 30 years ago

the CD is a sherwood, about 25 years old

the turntable is from about 20 years ago and is a sherwood too

none of this has been used for 10 years or so. i used an old amp and everything worked OK, then i never got round to replacing the amp till now. i need to connect everything first to check if working and that seems to be an issue with the speakers at least!

It is not the speaker plug on the end of the cable that determines if they are suitable but to use your old speakers you will need to cut of the 2 pin DIN plug and fit standard banana plugs e.g. 4499029_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=145;canvasWidth=222

The CD and turntable will use the same phono connectors e.g.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyXIA2PsEDcsN1F89hWPmdHq8XV9laJxwiHcDBGapsb6UVhjTg
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would doubt that the poor guy in richer sounds would even know what a 2 pin din plug was they are that old so i feel you are being unfair to him and his shop
    as said cut these plugs off and hopefully one of the cables has a black line down the side of it,connect this to the positive + screw type speaker connection on the back of your amp for each channel and the other cables to the - terminals
    with your speakers being so old it might be wise not to go to extremes in volume as your speaker coils will now be past their best
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2016 at 7:27PM
    Options
    If the speaker connectors look anything like this..

NX-ST-004.jpg

you probably need no connectors at all as the bits around the hole that will take a banana plug are usually threaded and you should be able to simply wind a bit of bare wire around the metal thread and tighten the plastic nut down on it.

This type 30-pcs-64-5mmx17-6mm-4pin-Red-and-Black-Spring-Push-font-b-Type-b-font.jpg
    are just spring loaded catches and you just push the catch down push a bare wire in and then let the catch hold it in place.

Speaker leads have a polarity. There is no +ve or -ve as such but you need to make sure that you connect whichever wire is coded + or coloured or marked in some other way to the same coded speaker terminal as you do with the other speaker pair going to the other speaker.

The amp specs mention that maximum output is produced into 8 ohm loads. If your speakers are 16 ohms or 4 ohms they will not be ideal but will almost certainly still work well enough.
  • aliceb1234
    Options
    when u say cut, do u literally mean cut the end off with scissors, i.e. the 2 pronged bit?

wont that just leave a bit of cable wire?

and i guess i need to buy the banana plugs at some point to hook them up anyway?

i took a photo on my phone of the end of the cables from my speakers but i dont seem to be able to post it here

but i could take that into richer sounds and show them and ask what to do next i guess!

thanks for your help so far.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cut
    bare each wire
    wrap round post on back of amp terminal
    tighten up
    see my earlier post regarding speaker phasing
  • aliceb1234
    Options
    yes the speaker connectors look like that and u seem to be able to screw them lose, tho i dont know if they come out completely

and my speakers are 4 ohms
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2016 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Yes just cut the speaker plugs off. You won't get adapters and don't need any.

You probably need no connectors at all and can just strip the wire insulation back a bit and connect it directly to the amp speaker connectors as I mentioned in post #7

Ah - found the picture..

n500-term.jpg

They look like the outer should unscrew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure