First holiday where to look where to go?

Options
Hi, can anybody help me out with some general advice.

Me and partner haven't been on holiday since we was young with parents. My 5 yr old will be staying with nan for the week (we've a full family holiday with my parents/siblings in September) but I don't know where to look and I'm worried if I just walk into a travel agents they may rip us off.

We are looking for somewhere hot (in late May early July) for 1 week with good places to eat out, though other half would like to go all inclusive just incase - not fussed about hotel pools as I can't swim, but would like a beach nearby, and a bar. Don't mind walking out to find some good sites and days out. I was thinking maybe Canary Islands or a Greek island holiday?

Our budget will be around 1.5k for 2 adults for 1 week. If this is unrealistic please say we could up it by another 1,000 by time of booking. Though I do believe it's a reasonable amount even for a budget holiday (?)

On websites I see there is things such as extra baggage, seats together, travel insurance bump up the cost alot.

ANY advice on places to go or general first time travelling would be absolutely lovely if anybody can.

Thank you

Comments

• Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    You can't rely on the Canaries to be hot, it'll certainly be nice and warm but may not necessarily be 'hot'.

Southern Spain maybe?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your budget sounds fine to me - I usually go away for 2 weeks for less than that. Are you looking at a hotel with breakfast included, or self catering?
    Greek Island s/c tends not to have pools although you can often use one at a nearby hotel.
    If you go to a travel agent you don't have to buy on the spot. I often go and ask what they've got, then and have a coffee somewhere while I check out the suggestions online.
    I don't pay extra for sitting together - if the flights only a couple of hours I don't see the point. If you book a package from a high street travel agent a case each and transfers should be included. Don't buy the travel agent insurance, you can get cheaper elsewhere.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2016 at 7:49PM
    Options
    If your going all inclusive I generally find it best booking a package holiday. Wouldn't bother in store, just go online.

If going self catering, book hotels/flights separate.

Use sky scanner for cheapest flights.

There are hundreds of sites for hotels. Use trip adviser to search for dates/prices once you know where.

Tenerife is a good shout but wouldn't bother with all inclusive. If you go to playa de las americas, the restaurants there are fab!

Good beach with plenty of shops and restaurants near by for breakfast and lunch.

I wasn't too fussed by Greek Islands (went to Rhodes). Would definitely go all inclusive if going to Greece though.
  • Ch1979
    Ch1979 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    My partner and I have been on loads of holidays. Most recent was Croatia which was wonderful (10 days October, from Dubrovnik split hvar 400 each) lovely weather, we stayed in apartments from air Bnb etc and did our own flights, ferries etc. Loved the multi centre holiday and hvar is just beautiful, Dubrovnik has the history plus beaches and islands nearby. This was eleven the migration issue was at the fire but we saw nothing of it.
    Majorca is beautiful but full of kids, albufeira in Portugal is hot yet breezy and has a very warm sea and a new and old town for strolling, eating and drinking.
    I have heard from a number of people that Barcelona is excellent as it is a city but with beaches and colourful history and art, relatively inexpensive
    Budapest is often hot in September and it has a fascinating culture: we loved just strolling around, going in the ruin bars, wine tasting in the castle and the food was gorgeous. There is a hot spa which is lovely
    Extremely cheap for food and drink
    January 2016 £5350 in debt:eek:
    February 2016£4865 in debt

March 2016 £4584 in debt
    Emergency fund:£40.00£200:beer:
    Savings£179[/COLOR]:j
    Toiletries challenge: 3 UU 1 GW
  • Ch1979
    Ch1979 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Holiday pirates is a great site for bargains
    January 2016 £5350 in debt:eek:
    February 2016£4865 in debt

March 2016 £4584 in debt
    Emergency fund:£40.00£200:beer:
    Savings£179[/COLOR]:j
    Toiletries challenge: 3 UU 1 GW
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    As its just the two of you, free from trying to find somewhere to eat that accommodates yours and the kids tastes, I wouldn't dream of going all inclusive! Your free to get out and enjoy a variety of dining in interesting locations, why tie yourself to a hotel canteen. (plus if it turns out to be poor food and you need to eat out lots anyway you pay twice over)

I would look for a destination first that interests you (culture, places of interest, things to do etc) then start checking Tripadvisor accommodation reviews for that area, it can sort them by rating so start checking ones out from the top to the mid level for a consistently good ratings history.

I tend to take more notice of decently written reviews with a balance of opinions. I disregard semi illiterate ones that usually rant about the staff not showing them respect at check-in as they are usually the sort that turn up somewhere and rub the staff (and everyone else) up the wrong way within seconds. Just be grateful if you do go there they probably won't be again!

Then start Googling the hotel, most places will link to various travel agents handling them you can then start to put it all together.

Travel agents can be a useful mine of good information, but they have their businesses interest as their priority so you can't be sure they won't push you slow moving (ie unpopular) destinations or ones with the best margin for the agent rather than the best for you.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    If your going all inclusive I generally find it best booking a package holiday. Wouldn't bother in store, just go online.

If going self catering, book hotels/flights separate.

Use sky scanner for cheapest flights.

There are hundreds of sites for hotels. Use trip adviser to search for dates/prices once you know where.

Tenerife is a good shout but wouldn't bother with all inclusive. If you go to playa de las americas, the restaurants there are fab!

Good beach with plenty of shops and restaurants near by for breakfast and lunch.

I wasn't too fussed by Greek Islands (went to Rhodes). Would definitely go all inclusive if going to Greece though.
    We've been to to lots of Greek Islands - Rhodes, Kos, Corfu, Paxos, Aegina, Crete (East & West), Zante, Kefalonia, Skiathos, Lesvos as well as several resorts on the mainland.
    I would never ever go all inclusive to Greece.

There's usually lots of places to eat out and with main courses costing from 7 euro (pastitsio or moussaka) to 10 euro (meat) and 15 euro (whole fish) we don't think it's that expensive.
    A litre of local wine is usually around 9 euro.

We go for 2 weeks in May and again in very late August/early September.
    Last May we paid just over £800 for both of us for 14 days including accommodation, flight, 20kg luggage and transfers.
    We spent around 1000 euro but that was eating out at lunchtimes and evenings - and not stinting on anything.
    We could have done it cheaper but we paid a fair bit extra for a particular 2 bedroom apartment that has a massive private terrace.
    So I'd say your budget is fine for 1 week.

If you decide to book flights and accommodation separately, check out prices for transfers before booking.
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    We are looking for somewhere hot (in late May early July) for 1 week with good places to eat out, though other half would like to go all inclusive just incase - not fussed about hotel pools as I can't swim, but would like a beach nearby, and a bar. Don't mind walking out to find some good sites and days out. I was thinking maybe Canary Islands or a Greek island holiday?
    Do you mean early June?

Olympic Holidays has 1 week packages to lots of Greek Islands early June starting under £300 pp including flights, S/C accommodation, luggage and transfers from Gatwick.

There's even several all inclusive on offer to Rhodes for under £400 (but personally I'd give that a wide berth).
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another here who wouldn't think of going AI in Greece! I like Crete and would recommend it to anyone :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Egypt, guaranteed hot and sunny ! AI about £500 a week, go to Hurghada, still considered safe. I know, i know..people say Egypt too risky but only you can decide..i know i'll be there in 4 weeks and i wont be worried.

We went to Croatia AI last August, rained almost daily ! 4 weeks after we came back we booked for Egypt as we felt we hadn't even had a holiday !!
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    At that time of year, anywhere in the Mediterranean will be good for weather. I wouldn't personally bother with the Canaries in the summer months. Bear in mind that because of the troubles in Egypt, Tunisia and now concerns about Turkey, holidays in Spain particularly are getting booked up quickly and prices are rising. We booked our usual hotel in Ibiza last year for this June, and it has been fully booked for ages, so whatever you decide, you need to get booking. Why not look at Thomson, First Choice and Thomas Cook websites to give yourself some ideas. Spain, including the Balearic Islands, Portugal and the Greek islands would be my recommendations. Italy is lovely, but generally a bit pricier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure