Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,930Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 15
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Chipping away at things this weekend.

Opened a club ll0yds RS to get a bit better rate on some of the savings for the next year.

Also checked some subscriptions for the business had cancelled before they auto renew.

Did a load of ironing, a bit of work and walked the dog. No money spent either.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 4th Oct 16, 7:30 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Lots of little tasks completed last night, so my list has shrunk a little.
    Entered my meter reading for g&e, all in credit.
    Checked the collective energy switch, it cane back with a saving of £2 per month, but I decided to go for it as it extends the cheaper rate until next October and a £30 CB.
    All money shuffles for new RS set up.
    Set up new home&contents insurance, deal was £15 per month cheaper, I should get an amazon voucher too.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 6th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    It's a bit blowy around here at the moment! It makes the horses and dog all a bit excitable.

Shuffled a few bits into savings from interest/hali rewards. All these little bits really do add up.

Also used up some very overripe bananas in a traybake, much to DD2s delight.

Work is still crazy busy, good for the pennies though. I've woken up this morning with a bit of a sore throat so I'm going to eat lots of satsumas to try and stave off any lurgy.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Oct 16, 8:03 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The nights are really starting to draw in now. We took the dog to the beach last night (his most favourite place ever) but it was dark as we were walking back to the car. I've just purchased a few more reflective items in preparation for dark evenings.

I'm still very behind with everything, focus this weekend will be completing a piece of work for a customer then accounts/banking etc mostly business admin. There are travel expenses from last month to be transferred to savings, so needs doing soon so I can change my spreadsheet!

The mse energy switch has all gone through ok so just need to wait a couple months now for the cash back.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 9th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Well I didn't get much done yesterday, but did have a lovely day, so not a waste. Hubby took me out to a lovely place for breakfast, did a bit of ironing then went for a ride and my boy didn't put a foot wrong

I tried to order a couple of the boots make up boxes that are on offer for DDs, thinking I could use the £36 in points I have, but looks like you have to have enough points to pay for it with points in full online

Not sure I will make it to the store so might give it a miss. So today, I must work!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Oct 16, 7:08 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That's the weekend over again. Completed project for customer yesterday. So pleased to have that one out of the way. It took most if the day though, so apart from walking the dog and putting the tax money aside into a savings account, nothing else was done.

We were talking to a neighbour over the weekend who mentioned some land had been up for sale recently, although not suitable for what we want it did get us wondering. I keep an eye on most of the estate agents that sell land locally, but hadn't seen this one at all!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 11th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Popped into B00ts on the way home and got 2 of the make up boxes that were on offer, one for each DD - xmas shopping has officially started!!!!

Also just got a portion of sweet potato & chorizo soup out of the freezer for lunch tomorrow, it's definitely soup weather now. I'd better batch cook some more soup at the weekend.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 11th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    i made scotch broth this morning in the slow cooker... so nice I ate both portions (my OH does like home made soups)

sweet potato and chorizo sounds lovely
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £168060
    Car loan finished oct 16
    h@lifax CC £5360 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 11th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 7,994 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Made 2 different huge pots, last weekend, scotch broth and lentil. All divided into 2 portions and frozen, although I do admit to having a couple of portions before freezing the rest. Definitely soup weather on the way.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and someday it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    o/p 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69 MFW2016 #27 £3101.03/£3000
    £1000/£1000 51.44/33.29=84.73
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Soup was indeed very good. I love having frozen portions in the freezer ready to take out - makes me feel like I'm organised !

Would love your Scotch Broth recipes, I don't want to get stuck in a rut

Purchased Dad's birthday present today for next week and went through tcb, first one for a while through tcb but mainly because I am spending less in general I think. Dog food also ordered for tomorrow - hope it will fit in the freezer as it seems quite full.

Nothing planned for the weekend apart from catching up with things and getting outside lots, so a freezer inventory will be high on the list I feel.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Oct 16, 6:09 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Typical, wide awake at stupid o'clock at the weekend when I could be having a lie-in!

Completed the freezer inventory last night before the dog food came, so just need to now work out the meal plan. I have family coming later in the month so need to plan for that too.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,143 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Just catching up a bit I'm inventorying too at the moment, my crafting supplies - it's not surprising I never got round to doing the cat designs I talk about, everything is **everywhere**, I can't lay my hands on a single thing! Must do better good luck with your freezer!
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you KC, hopefully those cat designs will appear soon now you have some energy back

Not doing too bad so far today, business banking ready to pay in Monday (not done it for 2 months but we don't get much cash) and database updated with payments. Filing (business and personal) now up to date too. Tried to log on to pay travel expenses but online banking is down I'm hoping they are making some big changes. It is down until midday tomorrow and definitely needs overhauling. It is the worst online banking I use out of all of them!!

Forms have arrived to convert my 123 account to joint, as it is the main account household bills come out of and we fill it up once a year thought I had better change it, just in case I get run over by a bus and hubby wouldn't be able to pay the bills!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 16th Oct 16, 7:47 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sounds like you had a very productive day!
    Good thinking in making the bill paying account joint too, we'ver just opened ours up with TSB as thought it more sensible than just having all bills and the money in one name.

Hope you had a good saturday
    Emergency savings- £701.54 /£1000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90%
    2016 OP target- £15.06 / £150 -
    Mortgage end date- Nov '41

NST: 42
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks kittenkirst.

Got soaked through walking the dog and feeding the horses, but not so bad when you can come home and have a hot bath to warm up again! Still good to get out.

Made another banana and choc chip tray bake to use up more overripe bananas. Had a piece after coming in and getting warm from the walk.

Hoping for a less soggy day today, the grass is looking very green in the far field, so going to move them over for a few weeks. If we don't they will probably be eyeing it up all winter and plotting strange escape tricks to get to it, also will reduce our hay consumption for a bit too, saving a few £.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I worry that everything is in my name, Even hubby's wages That's a cross I will bare now I've remembered he has shares to fall back on.
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £168060
    Car loan finished oct 16
    h@lifax CC £5360 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 17th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hey ETE, you have been doing so well with your cooking! I am going to try and make banana bread today and a fish chowder, cooking is not something I enjoy though!

Hope the rain holds off for a few days to help you and the pets dry out!haha.

Jodles
    MFW2016 #25 6969.57/3820
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 8106/21,743 (£156,000)
    2016- Jan-£177,472, Apr-£173,195.04, July- £171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- Apr- July- Oct-

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Oct 16, 7:16 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I have to admit, I don't really like cooking either. However I do like knowing what has gone into my food and not forking out a fortune on ready made stuff, so needs must!

Sunday was quite quiet, but horses got moved into green grassy field and are now munching away, so that will save a few £. Meal plan and shopping done, so will have full cupboards again tonight.

I'm quite excited that the interest tomorrow on the 123 account will tip me over the next 1000 bracket!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,143 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I have to admit, I don't really like cooking either. However I do like knowing what has gone into my food and not forking out a fortune on ready made stuff, so needs must!
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Me three

I'm quite excited that the interest tomorrow on the 123 account will tip me over the next 1000 bracket!
    That's great news!
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you KC

Well here is the weekend again after another crazy week of work. I'm just focusing on the end goal at the moment!!

I will be making brownies very shortly as the most important job of this weekend. Followed by trying to catch up with ironing and accounts paperwork.

Have a good weekend everyone
    Last edited by EatingTheElephant; 22-10-2016 at 4:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

445Posts Today

3,270Users online

Martin's Twitter