Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 776Posts
    • 3,205Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £21,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 15-03-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/SEPTEMBER 2016=17,173
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 38
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 20th Sep 16, 8:16 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 7,212 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh DIA that's brilliant, a car is such a bonus as it gives you flexibility and freedom. That sounds like a great opportunity to have one without worries. I hope you find a way to have it next year.

In case it's any help, I budget about £100 a month for mine to cover everything but petrol - the biggest chunk is the insurance at about £300 (though this includes a couple of extras so could probably go down to £250 ish), service and MOT about £250 (this has been less some years depending what service needs doing), vehicle tax £120 ish, and some is left over for replacing tyres, brake pads etc. I use AutoAid for breakdown cover, £41 (you do need to have a credit card to hand either in your purse or hidden in the glove box, as you pay and reclaim) and they've been brilliant, including rescuing me in the snow one Christmas when I was halfway across the country from where I needed to be.

Rosa xx
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 20th Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good news on the venue DIA fingers crossed it all works out, I love the idea of classes and using your creative side xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Sep 16, 8:26 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Oh DIA that's brilliant, a car is such a bonus as it gives you flexibility and freedom. That sounds like a great opportunity to have one without worries. I hope you find a way to have it next year.

In case it's any help, I budget about £100 a month for mine to cover everything but petrol - the biggest chunk is the insurance at about £300 (though this includes a couple of extras so could probably go down to £250 ish), service and MOT about £250 (this has been less some years depending what service needs doing), vehicle tax £120 ish, and some is left over for replacing tyres, brake pads etc. I use AutoAid for breakdown cover, £41 (you do need to have a credit card to hand either in your purse or hidden in the glove box, as you pay and reclaim) and they've been brilliant, including rescuing me in the snow one Christmas when I was halfway across the country from where I needed to be.
    Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    That is so helpful Rosa. I think my expenses would be similar. I guess that's the beauty of YNAB all costs are clear. I gave up my car several years ago after always having driven since my very early 20s. I started missing driving about 5 years ago, but it was out of the question. I too hope i can find a way to buy the car. It would open up my life
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Sep 16, 4:28 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    15 months and counting
    I now have another 15 months before I am debt free

ACHIEVEMENTS SEPTEMBER

Clever shopping for key items of clothing. Boots, a coat, a raincoat, a skirt.
    Value = £410.00 Spent =£151.57 (Still a lot of money but all high quality items that should last a few seasons)

Sent an item back to B0den I was unhappy with and replaced with much needed tights

Coming to Cornwall for most of September (getting cheap ticket, organising my work from here etc…)

Swimming in the sea

Speaking up to friend about being interested in her car when she spoke of selling it, leading to her agreeing to give me the option to buy it

BOOKING THE HANDYMAN

Getting passport photos done

Contacting a venue to pitch new classes idea

LESSONS LEARNT SEPTEMBER

Be brave. Jump into the sea. You’ll be glad you did. Apply this to approach to doing things on the house too!

You eat too much. You spend too much money on food. Spend less.

GOALS FOR OCTOBER

New passport ready to go

Keeping to new food budget

Handyman to begin work on the house

Keep to new daily activity hour

Debt into the 15,000s by the end of October

Sell 1 thing

Happy hump day one and all
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 21st Sep 16, 7:17 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Loving your September achievements DIA makes you realise how much you've done you're well on track to achieve your October goals, I'll be here cheering you on
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    flowers
    Made a payment to debt of £785, bringing debt down to £17,184.00. The plan is, by hook or by crook, (actually, probably not crook) to get this down into the £16,000s within the next 2 weeks. Signature updated

Went out with the intention of finding some reduced flowers for the house I am leaving in a few days. Found some immediately. A lovely £6 bouquet reduced to £2

Spent forever stalking some smoked salmon that MnS were not reducing to even half price. Got fed up and left it there. Life is too short.

Hoping for one last swim in the sea before i return to my land-locked life

As we hurtle towards the weekend I’m hoping for a renewing, positive weekend for us all

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 22nd Sep 16, 6:11 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 29,228 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Lovely to catch up on all your doings. Brilliant progress - well done
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £7000 0%; Savings: £1400
    Declutter 50 items before 30.09.16 42/50 **
    NSDs Target 5 for September 5/5 EBay Sales Target 30.09.16 £299/£100
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 22nd Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 11,190 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I like that you refocus yourself. Your words spoke a lot to me today. Thank you for your transparency as those incites have given me a much needed push.
    Sept $427.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Sep 16, 8:29 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I like that you refocus yourself. Your words spoke a lot to me today. Thank you for your transparency as those incites have given me a much needed push.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Thanks Mila, pleased my ramblings and number rejigging are of some use to someone other than me!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 23rd Sep 16, 10:33 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Well done DIA on your September achievements. Swimming in the sea - Oh My Gosh - I was shivering just reading it lol. I do hope you get to buy your car next year. I have done everything to keep hold of mine and it serves me well although probably will need replacing in another year. But I said that last year so here's hoping.

Your goals for October are inspiring and dare I ask if there is a little holiday on the horizon for the need in getting the passport?

Hope coming back to your land locked reality isn't too bad and that things get started with the handyman soon.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/09/16 - £14027.85
    DEBT 1 = £512.77/£35.60 DEBT 2 = £610.00/£42.00 DEBT 3 = £285.34
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1084.10
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325.00 DEBT 9 £3001.93/£118.57
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Sep 16, 11:20 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    land locked again
    Hi Tink, no holidays planned. I just feel edgy without a passport as I have loved ones abroad so may need to travel at short notice.

I went through my post. Mostly rubbish, but the bank sent the same letter (as a few months back) that I am in arrears but this time they stated an increased amount. I know I am not. They already paid me £100 for making this mistake so I am not at all anxious this time. I am annoyed as I will have to write to them again. As it clearly wan’t resolved last time, (despite their reassurances ) I might go the banking ombudsman as I don’t want it affecting my credit rating.

Home looks scruffy and cluttered after some time away…Looking forward to getting something ANYTHING done to change this.

Food delivery came and I feel better with supplies in so I am pleased I ordered in whilst away for today.

Unpacking and taking it easy today…

Catching up on diaries…

Cooking…a batch of quinoa for fridge, some chicken and veggies.

I love travel but I’m always pleased to come home and get back into a routine. The thing is, I always feel a bit unbalanced and unsettled for the first few days.

I’m burning orange oil today as it is both relaxing and uplifting.

Happy Sunday fellow debt busters

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 7,212 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Well I hope you make some more profit out of the bank's screw up - they can help you get DF even faster! Ring them up and take strips off them and threaten them with the ombudsman, see how much compensation you can get this time!

Rosa xx
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 26th Sep 16, 5:51 AM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 11,190 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Whoo hoo!! I like RB's plan!
    Sept $427.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    spendy week approaching
    A spendy week coming up. I had a pedicure today. Work paid but I need to spend upfront first and reclaim.

New travel pass.

Out for drinks Friday and meeting a friend for coffee on Sunday. Her lovely mum is unwell so I want to buy her mum some flowers

Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be NSDs this week

I would like to live off the online shop but there aren't any fresh fruit and veggies in the shop. I went to Ald1 planning a £10 shop. It came to £16 but I also got hand wipes, feta cheese and 200g almonds

I've lost a few pounds so I resisted wine and chocolate and crisps to lose a few more pounds in weight and save a few pounds in money .

Lovely organic mushrooms in Ald1 just 65p!!

I don’t plan to shop again until Saturday (if there any YS items in Waitr0se) other than that I will be shopping for more fresh produce in Aldi next on 3rd October.

Decluttered:

A coaster
    small bottle perfume
    a book
    felt pads
    CD
    new tv cables

Creating more space in my living room:

Moved a trunk in my living space to my bedroom. Now it is a blanket box and just visible under my bed.
    Plant stand moved and put away waiting to go in the spare room when it is redecorated.
    Huge mirror taken off floor and out of room and waiting to be wall hung to create more floor space.
    Tall bedside cabinet moved in living room for storage and plant stand too.

I’ve done lots of walking so over 1 hour target has been reached.

Tomorrow is a busy day as I have a 7.30am GP appointment before my day begins (I’ll cycle to meet my activity target for the day)

My goal tomorrow is to address the incorrect letters from the bank (Thanks Rosa and Mila for encouragement in this area)

Meal planning tomorrow and soup making...

Happy Monday people!
    DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 26-09-2016 at 8:06 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Sep 16, 6:23 PM
    • 44,438 Posts
    • 153,112 Thanks
    beanielou
    Another vote for bringing the bank to book.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. ***Keep plodding***
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 26th Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 29,228 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Me as well..

Like the decluttering too.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £7000 0%; Savings: £1400
    Declutter 50 items before 30.09.16 42/50 **
    NSDs Target 5 for September 5/5 EBay Sales Target 30.09.16 £299/£100
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Sep 16, 9:25 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Meal planning for 7 days
    OK, so if I am to keep to my food budget and stay out of the shops I need to go back to meal planning. And if I am not to feel deprived the meals need to be nice, but healthy too. Or, I will end up saying 'sod it' and eating (and therefore spending) badly

Breakfasts:
    Fruit, seeds, nuts, yogourt

Lunches:
    Lentil, chicken, spinach and tomato soup
    Leftovers

Snacks;
    Fruit,
    Humous and cucumber spears

7 Main meals:
    Quinoa, roasted veggies, halloumi and tahini lemon sauce
    Tuna steak, asparagus, boiled egg, butter beans, roasted peppers
    Roasted sweet potato, roasted broccoli, spicy mackerel, guacamole
    Buckwheat pasta, edamame, sun-dried tomatoes, feta and broccoli
    Quinoa, roasted peppers, butter beans, garlic mushrooms and halloumi
    Spicy chicken, steamed broccoli, edamame and houmous
    Buckwheat pasta, chicken, mushrooms, broccoli

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Sep 16, 2:18 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    snakes and ladders
    I’m doing well today. I am WFH but had an appointment at 7.10 that I made it too.

I drafted bank letter and will print off at work and send on Thursday

I made soup too.

Good news and not so good news

I did not cancel the handyman. He came on time. I liked him and felt comfortable. He seems as if he is someone I can work with and we have set a date in 2 weeks time so I will be able to get in the supplies I need. He is also finishing up on another job.

We did not discuss prices but I think my friend hires him on day rates so I’ll check with her and then confirm with him, but I suspect this will work out as if he was extremely expensive she would not be using him herself.

What I liked about him was my scruffy porch, which I want to take back to the original wood, is something he understands, says its good wood and he can do it. My plan is to get the outside jobs done whilst the weather holds and then he can move inside and start with internal jobs like shelves.

The not so good news was I spoke to the plumber who I suspected overcharged (but I was going to use him anyway) but he increased the charge by another £30 and when I queried it he said, ‘forget it’ and hung up. I need to able to query work done, so perhaps it’s actually good I found out now!!

I always think it is good to trust my instincts and I was instantly wary of him to start with, just like I am instinctively comfortable with the handyman. Time will tell…

I tried another plumber who does not want such a small job. I said I also wanted a quote for my bathroom to be redone and he tried to quote me £3,000 for putting in a new bathroom without seeing it!

Snakes and ladders…

Overall I am pleased with myself today

I hope your day is going well

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 27th Sep 16, 2:21 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 16,582 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Well done DIA!

Fortune x
    Emergency Savings: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 28%

"When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Sep 16, 7:43 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 7,212 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Well done you! Big hug for DIA

Perhaps have a chat with the handyman and see if he knows any good plumbers?

Rosa xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter