Dancing in the Rain

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks beanielou and milasaves :)

A good Sunday as it's dry and a little sunny and the washing machine is humming in the background

Today is a keep busy and don't spend day so doing creative work and gardening

Yesterday I took piles of decluttered papers into work to shred and I've started the new pile again (where does all this paper come from?)

I made a payment to my debt and I did the percentage calculation for the first time. I've repaid 11.5% :)

I'm thinking of buying a steam mop and hand held steamer in August. Does anyone have any experience of using steam cleaners?

Have a good day MSE folk
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi DIA

I have both a halogen oven and a steam cleaner from Ald1. Both are OK but I haven't used them as much as I expected. The steam cleaner hasn't seemed much more effective than usual spray cleaners and I have never tried it on windows, although I may try it on clothes. The halogen oven is OK for small things but I found there is a clear temperature difference between the top and bottom 'shelves'. I should probably use it more as it would be cheaper for eg just doing a couple of baked potatoes.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thanks for your comments Rosa, really helpful.

I’m really keen not to buy things I can do without, so I’m going to think very carefully. For now, I can get by…

Took 2 big bags to the charity shop including the slow cooker. :)

I wanted today to be a NSD but it isn’t. I had a coffee out that I really enjoyed. I bought 2 bags of buckwheat flour on offer in H&B and some nice tea in M&S.

I went to TK Ma** and left empty handed. I now think so carefully about what I buy. I only wanted 2 glasses but unless they are perfect they will end up going in the bag for the CS, so best not bring them in to start with!

My work pension statement arrived. It’s probably worth 50p and a bag of chips since brexit. Hey ho…

Did some creative work today :)

Washing done and dried in the sunshine

3 good things

Bursts of sunshine, never enough to take for granted :)

A day off (a friend cancelled our plans) so an unexpected day all to myself :)

I could list a dozen things about myself physically that ‘could be better’ but I am well and healthy and right now my body is doing all that I need it to do :)

I hope your week got off to a flying start
    DIA xx
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I’ve been having my lovely organic mango yogurt every morning. The sell by date for both large tubs was Saturday but they are still good and I can’t tell. As they cost 25p a tub my breakfast is costing me 8p a day if I add the cost of my seeds :money:

I am addicted to a certain brand of sliced gherkins that cost £1.50. I am pleased to have switched to a 69p version of gherkins that are just as tasty. A good saving. :money:

Washing done and on the line

Started yesterday doing an hours gardening. Tackling front garden first. It looks so much better even after that short time. :)

I need a small saw for the big shrubs and that means spending again…I shall keep it under £15 and I will underpay on a bill standing order and make it up next month as I have a bit more money next month. I also want to buy another herb. My herbs are doing very well and it feels very satisfying to be able to use them from the garden and not buy them. :)

I think I’ve spent so much time thinking about what I can’t afford to get done by other people, I have forgotten all the things I can do myself that will not only make things look better but more importantly help me feel better, less overwhelmed, more in control.

I’m WFH today, so cooking a batch of red beans. After work I’ll be off to look for my gardening tools

Have a good Tuesday
    DIA xx

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounding good DIA..well done you :)
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thanks for dropping in Brizzled :)

A NSD yesterday, not so today

I had my dental hygienists appointment this afternoon. Expensive but essential. Cheap in the long term as it keeps more expensive treatment at bay :)

I bought my garden tool. It cost £33!!! My decision to buy it in an independent shop despite it costing £2 more there was rewarded as he knocked £3 off without me asking. :) It was a lovely hardware shop and they stock a gorgeous range of paint that is nice but pricey. I’ll be decorating in cheap white paint but splashing out on posh paint for the feature wall. Not now. Just looking forward to keep my spirits high

Small shop in Lidl = 11.90

Lid* dental floss is brilliant, so stocked up. Trying their toothpaste just to see, although this seems a step too far. We’ll see…
    It shouldn’t have happened really. I am going through my food budget like lightening. :eek: However thanks to a suggestion from beanielou despite my desire for wine, I bought a mini bottle of wine (much cheaper)

Small shop in Waitro*** I bought yogurt and chocolate, sweet potatoes and mushrooms and I had a free coffee £7.16

I got fuel bills. I’m a bit ahead so I adjusted my standing order and used the money to go towards garden tool ;)

Got in after refusing to buy food out of the house so starving as I hadn’t eaten since breakfast. I have eaten early. Sea bass and sweet potato chips and peas. Yum, even nicer as fish cost 50p. :money:

I realised my 25p yogurt bargains had too much sugar in. I usually eat plain. So I admit I threw some away and replaced with my usual no sugar one. I noticed I was getting hungrier. That happens when I eat too much sugar, I just crave more. I’ve weaned myself off tomato ketchup now too. I use my own home made tahini sauce instead ;)

This has been my most expensive day for ages. Definitely NSDs Thursday and Friday or there will be too much month :o

I hope your day went well reader

DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glad to see chocolate is still on the grocery list, especially after cutting back on wine. :D;)
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Glad to see chocolate is still on the grocery list, especially after cutting back on wine. :D;)
    Wine is a luxury. Chocolate is a basic essential and required at least once a week :rotfl:

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I have a edgy unsettled energy today so I can't quite focus on any one thing. I wanted to go to bed but didn't I just kept going, albeit slowly.

A creative day was planned today but not doing so great. Very tired and I feel the political world is moving so quickly I am starting to feel nervous and it isn’t good for creativity. Drinking camomile and burning grapefruit oil today

Decluttered draining thingy for cutlery. It’s just another thing that needs to be cleaned and cutlery is better dried and packed away anyway.

Binned kitchen blind. It’s grubby. It is (kind of) summer so… I cleaned the window inside and out. Better. I’ll need to buy another to replace it at some stage as I have a nosy neighbour, but a wooden slat one next time that I can take down and wash.

Decluttered food cupboard and dumped old teas and spices

Recycled old papers and magazines

Tea towels washed and drying

I’m stopping eating nuts. They are good for you but I eat too many so I am sticking to seeds as I don’t binge on them. Seeds are not authentic on Thai veggie curries but hey ho.

A NSD :T

I have 2 more bushes in the front garden that need pruning and I will do them this evening

I ordered the garden refuse collection to start in July

Today has not gone according to plan but that’s okay :)

On plan or off plan I hope you are having a good day

DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I understand about edginess. I kept waking up last night worried that the concrete was not going to get poured in the extensive holes made by the plumber in my kitchen and guest sitting room. I have company coming in from two different cities for the 4th of July weekend. I can't afford to take everyone out to eat all weekend long because there is no access to my stove. Thank goodness he called this morning and said he'd be here today. He's had the quikrete sacks delivered already this morning. He is working us in between jobs.

The plumber jack hammered for days through the concrete house slab to get to a long run of cracked leaky drain pipes. After two weeks of coming and going, he finally finished yesterday. Everything is covered in a fine concrete dust. Cleaning will start after the concrete gets poured.:eek:

Plans, what are they? I'm just winging it for now.:D
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills