Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Jan 16, 9:52 AM
    • 8,093Posts
    • 19,994Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Free baby stuff
    • 13th Jan 16, 9:52 AM
    Free baby stuff 13th Jan 16 at 9:52 AM

Calling all family board members... we need your help!

We want to give a helping hand to new mums and dads to be. The bigger ticket items can cost an arm and a leg so grabbing free samples can help keep costs down, even if it's just a couple of pounds.

I don't know about you but being a MoneySaver I started hunting for baby samples the moment I found out I was expecting - both times!

Can you help us help mums and dads to be?

Please share your freebie finds for parents. What have you found, did you get it, was it worth it, how did you rate it?

Thank you!

Check out our main site guides too:

Our Baby Booty Freebies (Freebies Roulette!) and Baby Checklist should help.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-02-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Fluffysavvyshopper
    • By Fluffysavvyshopper 13th Jan 16, 11:16 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Fluffysavvyshopper
    • 13th Jan 16, 11:16 AM
    • 13th Jan 16, 11:16 AM
    I've recently become a new mum and found lots of great
    freebies, registering on companies websites is the best way to get them.

Here are some freebies I have had:

Bounty Bags - first bag received from midwife at checking in appointment.

Emma's Diary bags - register online and print vouchers to redeem at Argos or Boots, 3 bags to collect.

Cow and Gate - free cow teddy bear and then when baby is older a weaning guide with great info, recipes and vouchers.

Ella's - weaning guide and voucher.

Heinz - info and voucher emailed from time to time.

Pampers - info and vouchers posted to you over the first few months.

Mamas and Papas - order catalogue and get a £5 gift card, needs to be redeemed quickly.

Sainsburys - need a nectar card and you get a £5 voucher for Sainsburys nappies.

Boots Parenting club - need advantage card and you get a free changing bag, lots of points and offers.

Mothercare - £100 of vouchers at time of sign up.

Toys r us - posted vouchers regularly.

Enter competitions - I have won around £100 of toys/clothes/food.

The Baby Show - you have to pay to get in, I went to the Olympia one but there were loads of freebies, competitions and show offers so it could save you money.

That's all I can think of at the moment!!
    Make £2016 in 2016: £364/£2016
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Jan 16, 11:23 AM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 19,994 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 13th Jan 16, 11:23 AM
    • 13th Jan 16, 11:23 AM
    Fantastic!

Thank you Fluffysavvyshopper!

Come back and let us know when you find more

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 13th Jan 16, 8:29 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 12,637 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    • 13th Jan 16, 8:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 16, 8:29 PM
    As Fluffysavvyshopper says, the "baby clubs" are a great way to get vouchers for free stuff.

However....can I urge everyone who wants to sign up for these type of clubs, to remember that they love having your data and they will sell it on.

So....NEVER, EVER put your phone number on any of these forms. You will receive endless calls from life assurance companies and the like, some of which will tell you that you are terrible parents for not buying their over-priced products.

Open a new email account and use it only for these clubs. You will be inundated with junk email along with your vouchers, so it may as well be all in one place!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jan 16, 9:16 PM
    • 21,681 Posts
    • 43,563 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 13th Jan 16, 9:16 PM
    • 13th Jan 16, 9:16 PM
    So....NEVER, EVER put your phone number on any of these forms. You will receive endless calls from life assurance companies and the like, some of which will tell you that you are terrible parents for not buying their over-priced products.

Open a new email account and use it only for these clubs. You will be inundated with junk email along with your vouchers, so it may as well be all in one place!
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    Excellent advice.

Just to add that it's worth posting on Freecycle if you're really hard up, or using the site to "gift" items that are no longer required. Babies grow fast and the stuff they outgrow can accumulate so much space, let someone else have the benefit of it for a while. There are some things that it's is not recommended are secured second hand, though - car seats, for example.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 14th Jan 16, 8:55 AM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 45,314 Thanks
    euronorris
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:55 AM
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:55 AM
    Can I just add that the Boots parenting club no longer do the free changing bag. I'm pregnant at the moment, with my first child, and a friend told me about the offer so I signed up but the voucher for the bag never came through. So, I asked the Boots Parenting Club via Facebook and they advised that they have stopped doing it

That's not to say that signing up isn't worth it though, as the boost to your points balance when you buy baby related items is well worth it. I bought our 'Next 2 Me' crib from there, used a 10% voucher I found online, got free delivery, a free gift (as it was on special offer at the time - about a week ago), 2.5% cashback with Topcashback AND earned £14.90 in Boots points.
    • laura_hoggle
    • By laura_hoggle 14th Jan 16, 8:01 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    laura_hoggle
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:01 PM
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:01 PM
    I've had quite a few freebies from the Boots parenting club. The changing bag was free once I bought a pack of Pampers (I'm going to use this as a back up bag for DH to use as my main one is quite girly!) I've also had coupons through the post for free MAM bottles, Nutrimum gift sets & breast pads. You can also access the Boots app (pretty sure in iPhone & Android) to get vouchers too, including money off & extra points on baby things.

As euronorris said the extra points is great too-we bought our pram from Boots when they had their Xmas points events on & had a 10% discount code. As the pram (Silver Cross) was sold as base & colour pack separately, I bought the base, got the points (about £120 worth!) and used my points (I already had a fair amount) to pay for the colour pack-meaning a £695 silver cross only cost us £495 cash
    MFW 2016 #32 £1574.66/£1500
    • laura_hoggle
    • By laura_hoggle 14th Jan 16, 8:09 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    laura_hoggle
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:09 PM
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:09 PM
    Oh also we went to a Mothercare Expectant Parent evening a couple of months ago-I think I was emailed the info as I'm in the Mothercare club. The events vary depending on the store, and usually have local companies/groups advertising their classes/products, and also have lots of staff on hand to discuss products. We were given a 10% off voucher and also a very decent goodie bag-ours had breast milk storage bags, Heinz food pouches, samples of nipple cream, a mini hair conditioner (perfect for hospital bag!), some cardboard room temperatures and more bits I can't remember!

I've been told good things about local toy libraries; as little ones aren't the same size for too long, things like outdoor slides, ride on toys, walkers, jumperoos etc. can be hired quite cheaply rather than buying them. Of course, as someone has already mentioned, Freecycle is a good resource for these things-as are friends & family who have children who have grown out of things!
    • tw1nklestar
    • By tw1nklestar 14th Jan 16, 8:17 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    tw1nklestar
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:17 PM
    • 14th Jan 16, 8:17 PM
    would love to hear about bargains as my dd had prem triplets in August they have finally got into 0-3 month clothes - now she is bottle feeding them the milk is costing a fortune and some supermarkets will not allow her to buy three lots of formula in case she is sending it abroad???
    olympic challenge starting 7/1/07
    • laura_hoggle
    • By laura_hoggle 14th Jan 16, 8:33 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    laura_hoggle
    We were told at our NCT classes that companies & shops aren't allowed to put formula etc on special offers, and companies are only allowed to advertise follow on milk. A quick search has pulled this up, and appears it's not only in the UK:

http://www.babyfeedinglawgroup.org.uk/sites/babyfeedinglawgroup.org.uk/files/bflgflier0507.pdf

There's also a few articles out there about people importing formula to countries such as China, where western baby milk is in demand. Looks like some shops limit it to 2 per person per day too, making it extremely difficult for parents of multiples!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Jan 16, 9:01 PM
    • 21,681 Posts
    • 43,563 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    would love to hear about bargains as my dd had prem triplets in August they have finally got into 0-3 month clothes - now she is bottle feeding them the milk is costing a fortune and some supermarkets will not allow her to buy three lots of formula in case she is sending it abroad???
    Originally posted by tw1nklestar
    i have a lot of sympathy with your DD's situation. Its really difficult when a specific formula is all your baby can take before weaning, and there's none to be found in any supermarket! At 5 months a baby may easily be drinking 1L+ ready made formula but not holding its head up by itself. What are you supposed to do, let it starve?

The supply chain for baby food is just bonkers. In fact it's a national disgrace.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • RenTheRoosta
    • By RenTheRoosta 16th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    RenTheRoosta

Bounty Bags - first bag received from midwife at checking in appointment.

Emma's Diary bags - register online and print vouchers to redeem at Argos or Boots, 3 bags to collect.
    Originally posted by Fluffysavvyshopper
    These packs contain vouchers for money off washing capsules/softener etc you can combine with supermarket reductions to maximise value. I have *several* bottles of fabric softener, laundry detergent etc stored away some of which were very cheap combining the vouchers with the supermarket reductions (£0.50p Comfort Pure fabric softener for e.g.). Definitely worth taking advantage of as they can be stored away until needed
    • RenTheRoosta
    • By RenTheRoosta 16th Jan 16, 10:33 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    RenTheRoosta
    Baby freebies I have found and used:

Free Naty nappy becoming a Naty Ambassador: http://www.naty.com/ambassador/

Free Mama Pack with £1 postage: http://www.mamapack.co.uk/ The samples contained are eco friendly. If anything contained mentions a competition make sure you enter as they are little known brands so fewer people entering. I entered a comp advertised inside the lid of a sample of eco breast pads to win a Natracare maternity hamper - and won it

If you have a smartphone download the Boots app: Boots tailor voucher offers and freebies based on past purchases. I must have been on their radar for baby stuff from redeeming the Boots baby vouchers for their freebies as they gave me a voucher for a free pack of 80 disposable breast pads or a free MAM bottle. You can pre-load all the offers to your Boots Advantage Card so they will come off automatically at the till. Keep an eye on the app and pre-load anything relevant before you shop at Boots so you don't miss any offers.

Free Huggies: https://www.pottytraining.co.uk/member/claim-a-free-sample/

Free Drynites: https://www.drynites.co.uk/member/claim-a-free-sample/

Not *free* but don't forget to register with http://www.caringeveryday.co.uk/offers-coupons - you can research online when your local supermarket has items with available vouchers on offer and print them for use then: maximising the discount you get off the products. You can get Johnsons Baby products for next to nothing doing this.

Register with https://www.johnsonsbaby.co.uk/babyclub so you can redeem the codes from the backs of free packs of Johnsons Baby Wipes you get in Emma's Diary/Bounty packs: these can be used to get free baby items through their reward scheme. You can get boxes of Johnsons Baby wipes on offer that have codes and if you're stocking up (if you choose to use wipes you will be using them throughout potty training etc so no harm stocking up when they're on offer) you can easily amass enough points to get a reward. I have claimed three so far: they take a month to post them out so am waiting for them to arrive but it's worth doing if you're buying wipes anyway you may as well take advantage of the reward scheme P.S. There is no joining bonus any more even though your schedule of transactions will mention one: they said they don't offer one any more.

I second Freecycle/Freegle etc groups: if you are happy planning ahead and have space to store items you can get almost if not everything you need for baby for free from these sites. Items given to me for free from these sites: moses basket, cotbed, baby clothes, cot mobile, baby bath, changing station, high chair etc you get the picture. Keep in mind: *loads* of people are having babies all the time and will want to get rid of baby stuff they no longer require when the time comes. If you are happy with secondhand these sites are brilliant. There are also freegive sites on social media connecting givers and seekers.

If you don't already have one: set up an Amazon wish list and add items you would like for baby to that. They have baby wish lists you can do separate to your own wish list if you like. You can give family and friends the link to the wish list/the name of the wish list so they can buy relevant gifts you *actually need* and you won't get any duplicates as once something has been purchased it is no longer visible on the list.

If you are having a home birth remind your midwife that they will need to supply the Bounty pack you would have been given after the birth in hospital. Bounty don't like to post them out but the midwife will be able to bring you one so you don't miss out.

I'll update more if I think of any more but keep an eye on http://www.latestfreestuff.co.uk/free-baby-stuff/ which has an updated list of available items
    Last edited by RenTheRoosta; 16-01-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 19th Jan 16, 11:28 AM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 19,994 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    These are fantastic thank you! Keep them coming!

Join the MSE Forum
    • Fluffysavvyshopper
    • By Fluffysavvyshopper 21st Jan 16, 8:50 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Fluffysavvyshopper
    Just remembered something else, my local council (Dorset), have a scheme where you can apply to either receive a voucher to purchase reusable nappies or if already bought a refund. I think I had to spend £45 and I was refunded £30, so not completely free but a good offer, check the terms and conditions though to make sure the scheme works for you. I believe other councils also do similar schemes. I found the nappies work well and use them aswell as disposable nappies which works for me!
    Make £2016 in 2016: £364/£2016
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 26th Jan 16, 12:56 PM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 19,994 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Thanks Fluffysavvyshopper!

Join the MSE Forum
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 26th Jan 16, 1:34 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 45,314 Thanks
    euronorris
    Thanks fluffy. A quick search found this site, which seems to list all of the councils that offer schemes: http://www.fill-your-pants.com/councilnappyincentives.html
    • Saffagal
    • By Saffagal 5th Feb 16, 1:15 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Saffagal
    Amazon currently have this offer if you're a prime member: baby box
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Feb 16, 11:23 AM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 19,994 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Thanks Saffagal

The baby box is unavailable at the moment. Let us know if it comes into stock again

Join the MSE Forum
    • Serena03
    • By Serena03 16th Mar 16, 1:48 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Serena03
    Huggies - also do a free sample pack of pull up pants if you are potty training
    Aptamil - Free polar bear
    Cow and Gate formula - if you buy the number 1 formula you get a £1 voucher inside to redeem against stage 2 which has no date limit - win!
    Hipp Organic - Sign up to their baby club get regular vouchers off their snacks, food pots etc
    Organix -sign up to newsletter and get entered in to a monthly draw to win products
    Simply Baby names - have at least 5 competitions to win baby related products

Charity shops are a great place to bag lots of bargains
    Also Facebook selling pages I bought one box of boys clothes for £50 when i went to collect the lady gave me another box of clothes included I was so chuffed...pays to be nice and a little desperate!
    Hope this helps....!
    Last edited by Serena03; 16-03-2016 at 1:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

267Posts Today

2,081Users online

Martin's Twitter