Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 29th Aug 07, 1:34 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    The Demotivator Tool
    • 29th Aug 07, 1:34 PM
    The Demotivator Tool 29th Aug 07 at 1:34 PM
    This thread is specifically for discussing the new Fun Demotivator Tool 'The Demotivator' in the Stop Spending article.

Questions and comments on the Stop Spending article itself can be made in this Stop Spending article discussion.

To discuss the demotivator or ask a question: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Page 1
  • Crown
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:28 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:28 PM
    Thanksfor this. I had already worked out that I was wasting a fortune but this tool is excellent!

My downfall is buying junk food on the way home from work and although not every day it adds up. According to 'The Demotivator' I work 3 weeks a year for food that makes me fat and I dont really enjoy...

Another cool toy play with.. cheers Martin and team!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
  • CTT
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:30 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:30 PM
    I spend 50p a day on coffee and according to the calculator I spend over £8,000 over the course of my working life. Total crap but fun.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 29th Aug 07, 9:31 PM
    • 19,439 Posts
    • 52,329 Thanks
    elantan
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:31 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:31 PM
    ok i have just had a wee quick peek at this and i like it makes me feel a wee bit guilty however but maybe that's a good thing will spend more time on it i reckon...anyone else?
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • Spendaholic Chick
    • By Spendaholic Chick 29th Aug 07, 9:47 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 5,613 Thanks
    Spendaholic Chick
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:47 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:47 PM
    That's quite cool!
    GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts

March NSD 5/10 March Make £5 Day £99.28/£155
  • immoral_angeluk
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:50 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:50 PM
    I don't need a tool to tell me I spend too much money on crap...
    Total Debt Nov '11 - £6801 Now debt free!

Lessons learned: Live, love and be in the moment. See the world and its wonders, or life will pass you by. LIVE IT.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • SarahNeedle1872
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:52 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 9:52 PM
    This is FANTASTIC.... I'm definately gonna show this to OH so he can shock himself by seeing how much pizza and beer ACTUALLY costs

Great tool Martin, thanks!
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • happyheart72
    • 29th Aug 07, 11:02 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 11:02 PM
    Wow, I think I knew I was spending a lot on stuff I don't need or that doesn't bring anything to my life. But seeing it in black and white and all added up was quite eye-opening. I'm at least going to try and think before I spend money on 'crap' next time!
  • postingalwaysposting
    • 29th Aug 07, 11:16 PM
    • 29th Aug 07, 11:16 PM
    i do this all the time but with my trusted calculator... now martin can do all the work for me... thanks

martin can you add a 'once' choice (in the how many times do you buy it) though, then people can work out how many hours they have to work to afford the new £900 tv they are about to purchase :rolleyes: dont know if it can work though :confused:

• AndrewRH
    Bug - clear the results then do another one. Print it and see the previously cleared one still there (perhaps bug if only use exactly same name for item?)
    • tealady
    • By tealady 30th Aug 07, 6:58 AM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 3,166 Thanks
    tealady
    Tried it, loved it. When I saw how many weeks I have to work to pay for my bad habits it was a real eye opener.
    • MSE Neil
    • By MSE Neil 30th Aug 07, 7:46 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    MSE Neil
    Bug - clear the results then do another one. Print it and see the previously cleared one still there (perhaps bug if only use exactly same name for item?)
    Originally posted by AndrewRH
    Thanks - fix has just been uploaded. should come into play pretty soon today depending on browser caches etc
  • GM1966
    Just be savvy & don't get ripped off
    Ok, a cappucino's a very nice drink - I love them and I'm not going to do without. But let's look at the facts. My fave coffee shop is Starbucks. Some of their drinks range from £1.50 for a standard coffee to over £3.00 for a large cappucino/latte.

Given that coffee beans cost £4.00 for 250g and milk costs 35p a pint, just think of how many cappucinos you could make for £4.35 - and how many Starbucks have to sell to make £4.35. Big difference!

Don't let them rip you off. You can make your own with a decent espresso machine (costing no more than £200) then you can make maybe 15 for the price of just one of theirs.

Oh and by the way, coffee doesn't cost £4.00 for 250g either. I bought 1KG wholesale for £5 a few years ago. Ok, it wasn't as nice as Starbucks, but it was a fraction of the price.

Bottom line - if you're stupid enough to pay, the firms will charge what they like.
  • Gemmzie
    Love it - I've always thought of purchases in terms of hours worked, gives a good idea of whether it's worth it or not.

Agree with PAP too, a one off item would be useful too!
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • Networth
    Wall Charted Salary Quiz
    Just be a little careful about the wall chart feature unless you don't mind giving your salary details away as part of a simple mathematical quiz, other than that nice tool!
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 30th Aug 07, 12:21 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Another brilliant tool - thanks Martin!

I put the figures in for my cider habit and when it said: "Just think what you could spend this on", I thought "I could spent it on cider"...
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 30th Aug 07, 3:30 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    Sorry for killing the thread with my dumb comments, thought this should be on the front page....BUMP!
  • bails
    I really like it! Great way to see in black and white what you're really spending. I'm going to pick one thing I don't really need, give it up and use the lump sum for something ace!

Will also get my OH to have a play with it (boys love their toys) and hope he's even more money saving!

Thanks Martin and the team!
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
    • GingerSte
    • By GingerSte 30th Aug 07, 5:40 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    GingerSte
    Apparently over the course of my life I'll spend £270,000 on strippers and beer.

A bargain really!
  • postingalwaysposting
    Apparently over the course of my life I'll spend £270,000 on strippers and beer.

A bargain really!
    Originally posted by GingerSte
    :rolleyes: ste

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,130Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin