Company Xmas Tradition

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick query. This is my first Xmas with my current employer and I was told today by HR lady (wife of MD) that it's company tradition to put some money towards a gift (usually a gift voucher) for all of the directors of the company.

I've never heard of this sort of thing before having worked in the public sector most of my adult life - is this normal?

Most staff I spoke to about it think it's ridiculous but feel obliged to do it so as not to cause any trouble for themselves - you'd have to say no to the MD's wife!!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2015 at 8:38PM
    Options
    The cheeky !!!!!!s!!!!!

I personally would refuse, just say Sorry but you have never contributed to Christmas work presents as you prefer to make contribute to Charities.

Edit: MSE you do realise !!!!!!s is not an offensive word or swear word..
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's rather rude of them to ask, especially when they will make the most anyway. Id probably chip in a fiver though just to keep the peace tbh
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • dresdendave
    Options
    I've worked in the private sector for 30+ years and have never come across anything like that. If anything the opposite has applied, particularly in small family firms. On many occasions owners have given staff drinks, gift vouchers or similar on an informal basis. Directors expecting gifts from staff is a new one on me.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is an unusual (and very greedy) 'request'. But, there's nowt so queer as a private sector boss in a smallish company. They're a breed of their own and are often bizarre, tyrannical and Hitleresque.

As you're new, if you can afford it, it's best to keep your head down for now and just cough up. Start making waves when they can't drop you without reason.

B4rstew4rds.... and tight ones at that!
  • Elfbert
    Elfbert Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's definitely not a tradition I'd want to be part of!!

My boss takes us all out for drinks and dinner on him, and it's lovely! A few times we've even had a long weekend city break to Paris/Amsterdam etc. for all the staff, with all food etc. paid for by him too!
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you love this job? If not then I'd look for another.
    Such a sense of entitlement on behalf of the directors is a very bad omen for this company and your career.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I have never heard anything like this. I would make a small contribution.

I think they should be buying you a present. You work for them and this could improve morale.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    It is a strange request to be honest, depends if you are paid well over the average wage- if so then I can see appreciation working both ways.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Disgraceful.

I hate cultures like this - along with the "no-one here takes their lunch break"-type cultures, instructed to a new member of staff on their first day. Well, why does the contract say an hour for lunch, then? Sneaky.

Everyone else has gone along with it, so you feel obliged too.

Tricky. Pay up and resent it (does the wife dare to suggest the value of your "donation"?!) or make a stand and risk your future? Do you want to buy your safety in this way?

Presents should be paid for by the company.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Disgraceful.

I hate cultures like this - along with the "no-one here takes their lunch break"-type cultures, instructed to a new member of staff on their first day. Well, why does the contract say an hour for lunch, then? Sneaky.

Everyone else has gone along with it, so you feel obliged too.

Tricky. Pay up and resent it (does the wife dare to suggest the value of your "donation"?!) or make a stand and risk your future? Do you want to buy your safety in this way?

Presents should be paid for by the company.
    Why? You are remunerated for your work so why should you get a present, isn't it the same arguement of custom and pressure to conform...if so why is that acceptable against the employer but not employee?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure