Tesco - empty shelves

Options
Shopping at our local Tesco is just awful - unpleasant, overcrowded, not too helpful staff, but above all frequently empty shelves.

Very little competition for them this side of town - just Netto and Waitrose - so they don't really care. Netto doesn't carry the range of goods most people want, and Waitrose is a great shop, but a bit more expensive.

Most of the better-off people have already defected to Waitrose, but as Tesco is still busy they don't really care.

Is my Tesco unusual, because of the lack of competition, or are others having the same problems? The stock answer I get from them every time is to blame the distribution centres.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I feel sure Businesstudent will be lurking somewhere
  • Dave_Brooker
    Dave_Brooker Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Shopping at our local Tesco is just awful - unpleasant, overcrowded, not too helpful staff, but above all frequently empty shelves.

Why do you shop there???
    The money, Dave...
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    Cos Netto's crap and they can't afford Waitrose, read the post DB...
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    Cos Netto's crap and they can't afford Waitrose, read the post DB...

couldn't have put it better myself! :rotfl:
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesco's is feeling nearly as arrogant as the government at the moment.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Tesco's is feeling nearly as arrogant as the government at the moment.

I think that about sums it up. It's the arrogance they display that really hacks me off - the veneer of actually caring about the customer is wearing very thin indeed these days.
  • Labman_2
    Labman_2 Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I think that about sums it up. It's the arrogance they display that really hacks me off - the veneer of actually caring about the customer is wearing very thin indeed these days.

From personal experience?
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say that shopping at our local Tesco is great, the staff are friendly, the shelves are always well stocked and even when busy it isnt too overcrowded (if that makes sense) I guess the service etc varies from store to store but I havent had a bad experience at tesco that I can think of
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it odd lines that are out of stock or just empty shelves, they could have problems with the distribution centre, have you tried to collar a member of staff who looks like hes management and asked him re the shelves
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Labman wrote: »
    From personal experience?

Yes!
    C_Ronaldo wrote: »
    Is it odd lines that are out of stock or just empty shelves, they could have problems with the distribution centre, have you tried to collar a member of staff who looks like hes management and asked him re the shelves

Yes - have spoken to local managers, who make all the right noises but achieve absolutely nothing. The store gets no better, and more and more of us just go to waitrose because it's so much nicer in every way (including the staff). The Tesco remains full because of the lack of real competition, and it has no real incentive to improve.

Now.......if we were to get a Sainsbury.............?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure