How did First Direct come first in MSE polls?

Options
Hello,
I have recently gone through the painful process of switching my current account from NatWest to First Direct, lured by their £150 joining bonus, and the rave reviews they always seem to get on this site.

The general rubbishness of First Direct has prompted me to write this message, just mulling over the question "Is First Direct actually any good, or are all the other banks just really bad?" and wondered if anyone out there had any opinions on the subject.

The whole process has been rather dire.

The initial sign-up on their website was fairly clunky. I have designed and built a couple of websites (including bookings/payments/credit card security etc) and could have done a better job.

The "switching service" involved so many phone calls to and from First Direct I lost count. It took around a month to complete (and none of the delays were my fault).

Then, setting up online banking was ridiculously complex. It's one of those self-defeating password scenarios - there are so many access codes, passwords, phone passwords, etc. etc. that it's impossible to remember them all without writing them down somewhere, thus partially defeating the object of a password. I have been using online banking with two other banks since online banking was first invented, and have no problems remembering their security procedures, and they have never been hacked in any way.

Now, I'm trying to convert the account into a joint account - adding my wife. And they want pretty much the moon on a stick. Certified copies of passport, pointless utility bills (who the hell has paper utility bills any more? Not that it's a problem - utility bills have zero security features and I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years, so I can produce those to order). Plus all the place of birth/mother's maiden name etc.

So, I might be seeing if their "£100 if you close your account" is real or just something to annoy me further.

So I'm interested to hear if I've just got unlucky, and First Direct actually ISN'T completely lousy. I've never had problems like these with NatWest or Lloyds.

- Paul

Is First Direct REALLY any good? 87 votes

Yes, they're rather spiffing.
37% 33 votes
No. Maybe they used to be good, but they're hopeless now.
25% 22 votes
Meh. All banks are about the same, including First Direct.
36% 32 votes

Comments

• Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are a ridiculous amount of passwords, secret answers and the like. Seems pointless when they go with the securekey system anyway.

Still if they give me £150 (i'm still waiting) i'll stay with them.
  • hellopaul
    Options
    I got my £150 within about 3 weeks of opening the account, which was nice.
  • Khrisjun
    Khrisjun Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I switched last month, lured in by their £150 offer and found the process ok. I too was annoyed with the amount of passwords and codes required. I dislike their online banking website and think it could do with an overhaul but it does function.

But saying all of that... The switch went through quickly for me, the £150 was paid a week after i deposited the £1000 and it does mean i can now open the 6% regular saver so its been ok overall for me

I don't know how they managed the top customer service and satisfaction figures ive seen everywhere though,
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wait until the FD call centre will know about your poll. You'll get 98% 'spiffing' in absolutely no time.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    "Meh. All banks are about the same, including First Direct."

I've personally not had any issues with any banks including the major ones barclays/hsbc/natwest. FD was simple, one phone call and my switch was confirmed, a week or two later my bonus came through.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only attraction of FD for me is their 6% Regular Savings account, which is ace. My 'main' account for years has been a Santander 123, and I also have lots of accounts with other banks. The majority of my banking is done online but on the few occasions I needed to talk to someone, I found them all much of a muchness.

FD, and their parent HSBC, appear to have recently implemented a strategy to make everything a lot more difficult for their customers (certified ID, endless recitals of T&Cs, ridiculous timeframes for opening a new current account etc). It remains to be seen whether this is a winning strategy. Early signs are it isn't.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My FD report
    B+
    Opening account: Easy
    Getting the £150 for switching: Easy
    Closing account: Easy
    Getting £100 for closing within timeframe: Difficult (several reminders were required)
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it does make you wonder sometimes why they always come out top and who is actually voting. Their main selling point being no automated phone systems and somebody can deal with your query without being passed around. Having said that much of what they do is now incredibly long winded, such as having to call them to switch current accounts and then call them again a few days later to confirm you still want to go ahead. Other examples now include the lengthy process of opening a savings account. Their internet and mobile banking is not as good as other providers and whilst their staff are polite they dont do anything particularly exceptonal except carry out your instructions, which you would expect them to do.
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I banked with them as my main bank for about three years. "Competent" would be my overall review on them.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eee_zpsg7wvnrrh.png
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts