We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

To make £1000 in the shortest time possible

Options
Black_taxi
Black_taxi Posts: 57 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 June 2015 at 5:13PM in Debt-free wannabe
I am making a thread as I am setting myself a challenge to make £1000 in the shortest time possible... Am home all weekend so will be searching this site and the net for any tips and ideas.

I am setting myself a target of about 2 weeks to complete my number 1 challenge and if I am successful I will continue to keep it up and complete challenge number 2 which I have set myself 200 days to complete..the deadline is roughly 31st dec 2015.

I constantly count the pennies, add up, divide, write plans etc and am very motivated in reaching my goals, I just thought if I wrote it for other people to see and kept updating daily I could add to my motivation.

Wish me luck!
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
1p a day challenge TIN £106.96/667.95 :T. 270 payments to find.....1p a day challenge BANK 91p/667.95:eek:

Comments

• Daveo1983
    Daveo1983 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck!
    What's the job situ?
    I recently got a weekend job picking online orders at Sainsburys - gets me another £100 a week!
    This year is going down the drain - £8500
  • Black_taxi
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi and thanks,

I am a self employed cab driver so have to do some long hours as well as be a mum, weekends have become difficult lately as they are obviously the busiest time but my babysitter has now found a weekend job so I can't start till 6,30 fir sat and sun which is hard being awake all day and feeling like I need to work all night making up for it.

I am in the process of buying my cab and have £1000 left to pay from the original £18k I started at.
    1p a day challenge TIN £106.96/667.95 :T. 270 payments to find.....1p a day challenge BANK 91p/667.95:eek:
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Black_taxi wrote: »
    Hi and thanks,

I am a self employed cab driver so have to do some long hours as well as be a mum, weekends have become difficult lately as they are obviously the busiest time but my babysitter has now found a weekend job so I can't start till 6,30 fir sat and sun which is hard being awake all day and feeling like I need to work all night making up for it.

I am in the process of buying my cab and have £1000 left to pay from the original £18k I started at.

Hey, Black Taxi, my husband drives a cab too. Are you a green or yellow badge (assuming you're in London!)?

OP, no matter how hard I think of things to make more money nothing makes as much as going out to work (or spending less.) Last year I booked a week off from the job I had at the time (with paid holidays) and worked somewhere else for a week so effectively got paid for the same week twice. Is that something you could do?

I keep thinking about doing it this year too but my current job is quite stressful so I feel like I actually need my holidays to rest this year!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Black_taxi
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi there,

I am not in London, in the south west area. I don't think taking a week off the cabbing and working elsewhere would work as being self employed I wouldn't get the cash from the cabbing... But thank you for the suggestion, any help is appreciated.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Black_taxi wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am not in London, in the south west area. I don't think taking a week off the cabbing and working elsewhere would work as being self employed I wouldn't get the cash from the cabbing... But thank you for the suggestion, any help is appreciated.

Oops, sorry, didn't realise it was your thread and that you and the OP were one and the same!

Is your cab distinctive in any way? Could you hire yourself out for weddings/proms? I used to live near someone whose cab was liveried with Ben & Jerrys and he did lots of weddings. The person DH hires his cab from hires white ones for weddings and DH occasionally takes the guests in his if they need an extra one (it's silver.)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Black_taxi
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No worries, sorry if I confused you,

I recently (2weeks) ago worked a celeb wedding and was paid very nicely which really made a dent in the total, I have been offered advertising but have been a little reluctant as it's a black hackney and I wouldn't want to spoil any chances of one off jobs if my cab were wrapped if that makes sense?

I also work for a local office and the occasional "special" job can come from there...

Think it might just take determination to stay out there, moving the pennies around here and there and not letting personal things stand in the way for the next few months....
  • The_Only_Girl
    Options
    Daveo1983 wrote: »
    Good luck!
    What's the job situ?
    I recently got a weekend job picking online orders at Sainsburys - gets me another £100 a week!

I am interested in the weekend job you mentioned. Can you tell me more about it? Thanks in advance. As you can see in my sig, I am nearly debt free and I would do anything to speed up the process and start building up my emergency funds and/or work towards being mortgage free. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • Black_taxi
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So day 1

So far I have £70 towards the target leaving £930 to go
    Have £1 for my pot
    £5 for the tips tin

Let's see what the rest of the night brings x
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Black Taxi

Best of luck with this - admire you!!!

Some ideas (which you may already know about or have done - in which case I apologise)
    Martin says that once a year we should take a day to go over our direct Debitsand check we have the best deals with insurance/energy providers/bank accounts. Check also you are not due PPI or refunds of bank charges etc. The first year I did this I saved myself £1500 in the year - in the second year I still saved £700!!! (that is over the year)

Have you tried swapping child care? there were 4 of us when my kids were young and we managed to give each other whole days 9am - 7pm of freedom by having all 7 kids at once !!

have you rummaged thro your house and e-b!yed/ fbooked anything?

good luck!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Black_taxi
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey Black Taxi

Best of luck with this - admire you!!!

Some ideas (which you may already know about or have done - in which case I apologise)
    Martin says that once a year we should take a day to go over our direct Debitsand check we have the best deals with insurance/energy providers/bank accounts. Check also you are not due PPI or refunds of bank charges etc. The first year I did this I saved myself £1500 in the year - in the second year I still saved £700!!! (that is over the year)

Have you tried swapping child care? there were 4 of us when my kids were young and we managed to give each other whole days 9am - 7pm of freedom by having all 7 kids at once !!

have you rummaged thro your house and e-b!yed/ fbooked anything?

good luck!

Hello there and thank you for reading and the good luck!

I don't do facebook but will certainly bare in mind your other suggestions, have looked into an extra nursery session for Fridays and as soon as I have finished my first target I will have a calculator session and see if I can manage the weekends as it actually helps the situation I am in at present (personal and not nice), my mind is constantly thinking and working stuff out!

I really do appreciate and welcome any hints and tips as it makes me feel I am not alone in all this now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport