Do you have a front garden?

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) says front gardens are disappearing across Britain.

Do you still have one or is it paved over?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Do you have a front garden? 346 votes

Yes
86%
andi2UnknownbylromarhaMids_CostcutterzebedyspringchickenFormer_MSE_Andreairismarleyboysuki1964elisebutt65boots_babegingerdadtoadhallCounting_Pennies_2gabycatSlinkybagpuss1965misspricespirit 299 votes
No
13%
dogstarheavenElaineeeDianneBscubaqueenAldridge_AndyhoneypopBella56katym79jo78beccalsashtray_heartSplanKbuttersthethirdPmarmaladeOakieLil_Me_2annberlinUnknownkeanufanrinabean 47 votes

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yes
    Yes, my front garden is small but traditional. It has a lawn and surrounding borders, with flowers and shrubs. I don't have a driveway - I have steps. My garage is accessed from the street at the back of my house.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    Yes
    Sort of? It's maybe 2x2 metres and covered in woodchip with some heather. It doesn't particularly 'feel' like a front garden in the traditional sense, but I guess it technically is!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I have a front garden layed to gravel and bordered with a hedge and flower beds. We applied for a dropped curb but were turned down despite half the street already having dropped curbs. The reason we were given was that there had to be enough space in the garden to drive in, turn round, and drive out again - but this requirement was obviously not in force when all the other houses had their miniscule driveways made.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    Yes
    Yes, but similar to aileth above. We took up the lawn and have slate pebbles instead. With numerous pots with violas, heather and lavender.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes but I wish we hadn't.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes
    Yes and a huge side garden, as we are on a corner plot.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    Yes
    We do now - didn't at the last place.

The living room in our current house faces the front, so having a front garden was quite important. I'd hate it if the room used for relaxing had no plants and trees viewable from the window.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Yes
    I have a lawn, and borders with shrubs, at the front. Big garden at the back. Hate those paved, graveled over etc. There are a few in our village, I think they look awful. One is a corner plot, I walked past while they were ripping their lovely garden up, their excuse was .'We're not gardeners'. :mad:
    Gardening is good exercise.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have a front garden.

But we also have a large parking area and a lot of concreted area. The mitigation of this impact is increasing but two fold....firstly all surface water is collected and stored in a reservoir. This is used for irrigation through dryer months, but occasionally just has to be drained off if high rain fall ). Secondly we mitigate the concrete/ hard landscape areas with vertical planting planters and less aggressive weeding. We hope to have considerable areas of the vertical space covered by suitable climbers eventually. Some working areas need to be hard surface, but its still possible to soften impact.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We do. A very public herb bed. With hindsight, we *might* have tried to grow our herbs nearer the kitchen at the back, but the nearest soil is a dodgy set of steps up and anyway overlooked by both neighbours, so nipping out for fresh herbs to cook with is a 'check covered' event either way.

The local police have stopped responding to "youth with knife!" once they've clarified *where* said youth is. (Although they're always welcome, and do appreciate the house bolognese.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure