Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 461
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 51,728 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lovely day, and I've managed to do a bit of weeding The grape hyacinths/muscari in the little raised bed are looking lovely.

Me, as DS was on his way out this morning: "Don't the grape hyacinths look lovely?"

DS: "What, those foxgloves or whatever they are?"

Meanwhile, in the back garden, a primrose I planted three or four years ago, and which promptly seemed to disappear, has shown its face this year, and has spread; and there are violets all over one end of the lawn, which OH will be pleased about as I've asked him not to cut the grass until they finish flowering

In other news, DS brought the new boiler home last night and I can't believe how small its box is - it must be about half the size of the old boiler! DS will do the prep such as sorting out the pipework, then his friend who has a gas safe cert will come and do the actual fitting.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 14,095 Posts
    • 131,593 Thanks
    mardatha
    I would absolutely love to grow violets, I love them. Had one from a garden centre once and kept it alive for a few years, but it vanished along with a load of other stuff, in the bad winter of 2010. I've got some crocus out now as well as my snowdrops
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    karcher
    I would absolutely love to grow violets, I love them. Had one from a garden centre once and kept it alive for a few years, but it vanished along with a load of other stuff, in the bad winter of 2010. I've got some crocus out now as well as my snowdrops
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I love crocuses and snowdrops. Lucky you
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Mar 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 39,009 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ivyleaf: Oh. Men and flowers! My mother used to tell me about how horrified Dad was before they married and she was planning what she would do with the front garden of the bungalow they were buying. She planned roses, pinks, pansies and lilacs and he had planned potatoes, onions, beans and cabbages.
    The news about the boiler is good. What would we do without our DS's friends? My DS2 has a friend in every useful trade who are all willing to do things for mates rates.

Things are gradually settling down a bit here. Everyone is back from the wilds of Suffolk after DIL's mother's funeral. DIL has taken it all very hard and is making noises about going back to live near her father - and of course taking me along as well so that they can "look after" me.

In her dreams.

1: It is far too early to be making such life changing decisions.

2: I'm not sure that her father wants his daughter to organise his life for him, although he would be beyond thrilled to have his granddaughter close by.

3: I have no intention of moving up there because
    a) all my friends are down here and
    b) hell will freeze over before I allow my family to "look after" me. The very idea!

I'll wait until the dust has settled a bit before edging forward with MY plans.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 51,728 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    That sounds very wise, darling monnagran Poor DIL though, she must feel very torn, wanting to make sure that both you and her Dad will be okay.

Mar - we have planted very few of the flowers that emerge in our garden - most have been self-seeding! Including the violets. We even have a beautiful pale pink peony (not at present, obviously ) i did plant crocuses and daffs though.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 13-03-2017 at 4:28 PM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 69,770 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello lovely helpful people.....

Can you tell i'm after something?

my DS is 18 on Saturday (how the hell did THAT happen but I digress). Although he is having a few bits and pieces for his guitar, his main pressie will be a holiday at some point. DD got a trip to New York for her 18th, but he doesn't know when / where he will go so we just said that if there is a skiing trip or other holiday when he gets to Uni, then we will fund it as his 18th. So, I thought i'd put a little parcel of stuff together that says 'holiday' - he needs sunglasses, so that is the starting point but i can't think of anything cheap to go in it..... thought you clever lot might be able to come up with stuff.

Over to you (no pressure )
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,765 Thanks
    silvasava
    Sunscreen, Plasters ( snoopy ones?) Hat, T shirt, mock up ticket????
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Swimming trunks? beach towel, flip flops, Frisbee, disposable barbecue, soft material bag with string straps (like a flat duffel bag (to carry all of above). Coloured sun screen (like the cricketers use).
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 13-03-2017 at 7:10 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 41,214 Thanks
    camelot1001
    For skiing - Silly hat, lip balm, socks, hand warmers.
    For beach - silly hat, lip balm, towel, after-sun cream.

For either - Day bag (small rucksack), water bottle, travel padlock, disposable camera.

That's a lovely present VJsmum, one that will have such memories.

Glad you don't need 'looking after' monna, I'm sure things will settle again soon.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 23,454 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    VJsmumn For an 18 year old boy even though he is your son I would be wary of buying anything but toiletries. What ever you like he won't like even if he liked it yesterday.

Unless he has had one recently I would buy a toilet bag, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap or shower gel and shampoo.

The problem with sunnies is what suits one person looks awful on another unless you are buying a really cheap pair I would give him the money, I presume he is likely to pick somewhere within the EU so you could give him some Euros. I suggest you get the best value pack from the post office. They are reasonable, helpful and always have one offer.

Wish him a happy birthday from us all and here's the cake
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 32,778 Thanks
    Floss
    VJsmum me, DH & DS/DiL tend to go for "experience vouchers" designed to suit the recipient & gift
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 32,778 Thanks
    Floss
    Ivyleaf: Oh. Men and flowers! My mother used to tell me about how horrified Dad was before they married and she was planning what she would do with the front garden of the bungalow they were buying. She planned roses, pinks, pansies and lilacs and he had planned potatoes, onions, beans and cabbages....
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I remember my mum changing the garden after my dad died... I discovered that she didn't actually like begonias, orchids and gladioli that my dad had always grown!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 23,454 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I think I may go to bed soon. We have had Electricity North West here all of the time since we reported the problem on Friday night. They actually got here about 2.45am. The machine room backes against my bedroom.

I got no sleep Friday night. I tried sleeping for a couple of hours on Saturday morning but without my Cpap machine I just stop breathing as soon as I fall asleep and wake myself with an awful noise like a heavy bike without a silencer. I gave up after 3 hours I had 14 hours Saturday night and not slept since because they have been in the cupboard in shifts since Friday. At one point on Saturday afternoon there were about 12 of them and as many vans as well. There are only this block of flats and 10 little terrace houses on this part of our street the rest of it just goes across the top of about 9 terrace streets. I think they must have been parked on pavements all round us. They were quite big vans too. We have been temporarily been made safe. They have taken away the generator which was also adding to the noise. We are back on mains but only temporarily until the whole lot is rewired. We will get contractors in a few months. I hope they come while I am in Malta at the end of June.

I feel like wishing it on who ever decided to put a loud alarm on my freezer that would go off after a power cut. A short few bleeps is OK but a very loud alarm until you put it on fast freeze even if it was off a few seconds. If you don't put it on fast freeze it just goes on and on. It is so well insulated it did not really need fast freeze after 14 hours off. All the extractor fans and the dehumidify all switch on each time the power comes back on.

My winter coat came this afternoon. The label says XL which I presume should be extra large. I ordered 12 to 14. Apart from the sleeves being too long I don't think it would be too big for Pickle!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 39,009 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh nursemaggie, I have this wonderful vision of Pickle plodding off to nursery with sleeves trailing along the ground like some dwarf gorilla.
    A bit disappointing for you though. Did you see a picture of it or did you buy it unseen? I remember that it was very cheap, but really! Perhaps XL stood for 'extra little'.
    What a nightmare you are going through with the Electricity. I don't suppose earplugs would be any use?

VJsmum: A passport cover, plug adapter, foreign currency wallet, phrase book, (sorry, you don't know where he is going, do you?) small plastic containers to decant shampoo etc. into, eyeshade , anything from the travel section in B**t's, hangover cures?

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 32,778 Thanks
    Floss
    VJsmum we've also done IOU's that are exchangeable for currency or vaccinations as required.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 51,728 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh poor nursemaggie, so sorry it's been so noisy! I was woken this morning by the builders across the road, but at least they're not on the other side of my bedroom wall. I feel very sorry for the people whose house is right next to the building site though.

Fingers x'd they will do the rewiring while you're away.

VJ's mum I love the idea of a holiday bag for DS
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Mar 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,765 Thanks
    silvasava
    Nothing like as bad as NM but we've woken this morning to traffic lights being put outside our house restricting the road to single file - so now have a queue of cars - hope they won't be there too long.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 28,641 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Hope you get some peace soon Nursemaggie.And sorry to hear about your coat, stories like that make me incredibly wary of clothes online.

Vjsmum, I immediately thought of this : https://www.scratchmap.org/shop/original-scratch-map-world-edition/
    You scratch off where you visit

Monnagran, I'd be grateful to have you a a mum. Mine never ceases to make me feel bad about not being there to look after her. Yet more than 20 years ago, when she lived with and looked after my grandparents, she made me swear never to do the same for her.

I'm still working too much. Nuff said.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 23,454 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I have always been wary of buying clothes on line. Past experience of catalogues has taught me to expect to be tripping over the hem and waists to be around my knees.

Of course I saw a picture but it certainly was not of this coat. The price did not worry me as I have been buying from this site since February. I have bought a mattress for only £69. It is far better than I expected it could possibly be. It's Memory foam just as described. I have also had pans very cheap thus my having all these spare ones.

I did not expect the pans to be really good quality as I wanted lighter ones. I am beginning to have problems with draining them. They are just what I expected. Nice and light and easier to hold. Twenty years ago I would have gone for heavy copper bottom pans to last. I have also got two memory foam pillows for £25. They came next day as they only came from Burnley.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 41,214 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Sorry to hear about your coat nursemaggie, I can imagine pickle walking along looking like one of the potty men!

It seems to be the season for digging up roads,we have the gas folk digging up the road, holes everywhere with plastic barriers round them - it's been really windy here just lately and the signs and barriers are all over the place. Reversing into the drive is a bit tricky but at least the learner drivers aren't causing chaos - we are on the test route for a turn in the road and it can get a bit scary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

3,118Users online

Martin's Twitter