We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How to be diplomatic?

Options
Skintski
Skintski Posts: 500 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
I've had a family member recently sign up to one of these Multi Level Marketing jobs selling various health products and now I'm required for a chat.

I really don't agree with these kind of companies as no one I know who has been involved in such a thing has ever made any money. They just strike me as a bit of a scam and rely more on recruitment than the product being any good.

How do you distance yourself from this kind of thing without seeming unsupportive of your family member? I don't want to upset anyone but I really don't want any part of it.

All advice gratefully received.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hiya
    How close is the family member? I mean are they living in your home?
    If some whare else I like to say you cannot live their lives for them.

With our son and daughters we have come to an understanding - they listen to our good advice and then make up there own minds.

How do you distance yourself = learn to zip it! keep quiet.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Skintski
    Options
    Hiya, no we don't live in the same home but it is a close family member. I don't really want to have to have the conversation with them but I know it will come. I work in sales myself but for a reputable company who do not rely on a business model such as this but I know sales can be tough. What to do...what to do...
  • Dimey
    Dimey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Can you just be straight with her?

Tell you wish her all the best with her new venture but you personally don't agree with that kind of marketing so you'd rather not be involved with it. Tell her you have researched it so you know you won't change your mind. But hey - you still love her and want her to do well. So .... lets talk about something else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Any more posts you want to make on something you obviously know very little about?"
    Is an actual reaction to my posts, so please don't rely on anything I say. :)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    Options
    Just say, 'I wish you luck with it but it's not for me'.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Options
    Ohhh noooo how awkward....i detest being invited to Body Shop parties..... Jamie Oliver at Home etc etc...at least these are not hosted by members of my family and i lie and say i am at work....poor you x
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    I agree that it is best to be straight right from the start, using the broken record technique if necessary. Keep repeating "I wish you all the best with this, but it is not for me."
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Skintski
    Options
    Thanks folks. I think I was hoping for some miracle way of getting out of it but looks like it's time to grow a pair.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Encourage her sideways but claim a deceased relative's advice to "never mix business with family".

Almost anyone on the properties board would say don't rent/lease to family, so there are plenty of names to borrow for your relative if you haven't a Polonius somewhere on the family tree already...
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,371 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggest that you try to avoid getting into discussions of the business model. You are not going to buy stuff you don't want as charity just because s/he is a relative. This is harder of course if you do use similar stuff.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Any business model that relies on a person's friends and family all regularly buying things they don't want is going to fail - everybody will "let her down" sooner or later. And if it does happen to be a great product at a great price, she won't need your custom.

It's easier to opt out before you start than to try to extract yourself later. I doubt you'll be the only person who says thanks but no thanks. She'll be more upset if you were one of the few that she was pinning her hopes on than if you are one of the many who say no right away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport