🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Fire Exits

Options
A local pub has had a telling off (well the landlord anyhow) for not paying attention to fire safety regarding exit doors. All the doors in the pub are the type which would have to be open with a key and not one is the push bar type door. T he landlord always locks the doors just after 11pm (I only go once per week btw) and even the windows are bolted down! even in the summer. He says he has had the local fire brigade safety officer pay a visit and told him its not good enough and he has concluded a customer must have tipped them off and he isn't happy. He has not taken a bit of notice of the safety order, only he has the keys to the pub on him none of the staff do and if something did happen in there he would be upstairs with them on him and everyone unable to get out without going looking for him. I am no trouble maker and I certainly didn't tell the local safety officer but I think it is ridiculous. Other premises I have been to have at least one push bar door he says because the pub building is over 50 year old it would spoil the appearance by putting proper fire exit doors on and cost him money. He even allows people to smoke indoors in the entrance foyer even though there is a smoking shelter at the rear. I don't think a locked pub and drunken smokers make a safe combination to be fair. He says the safety officer told him he will be monitoring the situation and the landlord is keen to know the identity of the person who he thinks tipped them off.
Britain is great but Manchester is greater

Comments

• ThumbRemote
    Options
    If the fire brigade have been once, they'll visit again.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bluelass, have you thought about visiting a safer establishment instead? ;)
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like the fire brigade are on the case.

I doubt you'll have to do anything as they'll soon crack down on this if he doesn't make th changes they've told him to make.

You could report the indoor smoking to the council if you felt inclined.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like the landlord may soon have bigger things to worry about apart from trying to figure out who reported it.....if it was me I would of gone the whole nine yards and called the council and the brewery, presumably he is not the owner of this death trap?. Regardless I would be looking for a new safe watering hole.
  • browneyedbazzi
    Options
    If the fire brigade have been once, they'll visit again.

Indeed - once they have served an improvement notice (or whatever the fire ones are called, I can't remember!) they will go back to check that it has been complied with. If it hasn't been then the landlord may well get a prohibition order which effectively forces him to close the premises - and potentially move out of the upstairs accommodation until the required works have been completed. He'll soon find out that a fire door is cheaper than having to stop trading and pay for alternative accommodation!
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • Leory
    Leory Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    the pub building is over 50 year old.

My shoes are older than this pub
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,727 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    he says because the pub building is over 50 year old it would spoil the appearance by putting proper fire exit doors on and cost him money.

What a load of rubbish! There are very, very few buildings less than 100 years old whose appearance would be spoiled by proper fire exit doors and safety comes before appearance.

Bluelass, stop giving this penny pinching idiot your money and custom, he doesn't care about you or any of his other customers.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think he is the lease holder not the sole owner of the pub, so why has the brewery never been responsible for making sure the fire exits are up to the required standard?
    Because the brewery are not running the business.

As I mentioned before every other pub and public place I have been in had at least one push bar door how can the age of a building determine if it doesn't have to comply with safety regulations or not.
    As you infer, the age of the building is probably irrelevant.

The fact that every other pub you have been in has a push bar door is not any sort of proof that all pubs should have at least one push bar door. There are several ways that properties can comply with the legislation... having a push bar door is but one way.

All pubs have to abide by the regulations. As for the fine detail of those regulations... you'll need to read a lot more for your answers.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,727 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't do but good friends go in there on my night. The pub is just a normal building, certainly no listed or important one. He even claimed the sash windows cant be opened in the summer because they have to be bolted because their historical ones:rotfl:

Try and persuade them to find an alternative watering hole.

You have confirmed my view of the building. Also I thought all the idiot landlords had been pushed out by the breweries, but obviously not.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Use feet, walk to next establishment if you are so inclined.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport