How many clothes do you have?

Options
I've just seen a coat that I like, but I didn't buy it because I already have coats. OH has patiently pointed out that we can afford for me to have this coat, and why the **** don't I just go and get it if I like it?

How many coats (and other clothes) do you own?

I have a fleece/waterproof combo for day-to-day wear (bought last winter), a smart black woollen coat (bought 2 years ago, but not worn often), a smart grey lightweight coat (about 10 years old but still looks good), a brown leather jacket (3 years old, much loved), and a denim jacket (about 7 years old).

Is this normal? Too many? Too few?
No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...

Comments

• balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think thats overboard for the number of coats, so I wouldn't think twice about adding one more if you like it and want it :).

I don't know how many coats/jackets I have, I know I have 4 winter coats, 2 are short, one is knee-length and one is ankle-length.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm. I have too many things I don't wear. But coats?

I have a smart wool coat for "occasions" probably worn twice :o
    My regatta day to day waterproof school run coat, worn lots
    My winter padded one, also worn lots
    My smart leather jacket also lots.
    A running jacket not worn in about a year :o

Then I have a fleece, a heavy jersey longline hoody, a denim jacket, a lightweight jacket that I found out is not actually showerproof :mad: and a couple more "fashion" jackets that I have no idea why are still in my wardrobe... Oh and 3 gilets. Yes three :o

Oh dear. Feel a clear out May be in order...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    Probably about 15 coats, 30 pairs of shoes, 20 handbags, 6 pairs of jeans, 30 tops...
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got to many things, most never get worn 'cos it's the same things that i wear over and over again.
    Hardly anything is thrown away 'cos if things are to old to go out in they'll still be good enough to wear in the house, then things move down the line so they'll be worn doing the front garden (where people can see me), as they get tattier i'll wear them when doing the back garden (where nobody sees how scruffy i am), finally the really tatty clothes will still be good enough to wear when i'm decorating or fixing the car in the garage.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never thought about it before really? I buy quality pieces that will go with lots of things and will last.. I'll have a quick list.

- Cream/nude belted mac x 2
    - Heavy waxed Barbour long jacket.
    - Long Benetton black smart jacket.
    - Berry belted mac
    - Woolen grey poncho jacket
    - Brocade black jacket
    - Leather look short jacket

- White blazer
    - Cream blazer
    - Grey blazer x 2
    - Black blazer x 3
    - Denim blazer
    - Dogstooth blazer
    - Metallic thread blazer

And that's just the ones I can think of! :o

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • nilequeen
    Options
    I've just seen a coat that I like, but I didn't buy it because I already have coats. OH has patiently pointed out that we can afford for me to have this coat, and why the **** don't I just go and get it if I like it?

How many coats (and other clothes) do you own?

I have a fleece/waterproof combo for day-to-day wear (bought last winter), a smart black woollen coat (bought 2 years ago, but not worn often), a smart grey lightweight coat (about 10 years old but still looks good), a brown leather jacket (3 years old, much loved), and a denim jacket (about 7 years old).

Is this normal? Too many? Too few?
    I think it is normal, I have a few more but one needs a good selection.
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love coats and jackets. I've 20 / 25 easy plus others I don't wear any more and am ebay.ing. In fact this autumn I've added three more to my collection, a dark grey faux fur from Warehouse, a blond faux fur from Miss Selfridge and a dark red leather biker from River Island. Coats and jackets rule. Buy it I say.
  • hgotsparkle
    Options
    Well, I've got a whole double wardrobe to myself, a very tall chest of drawers and boxes in the airing cupboard filled will shoes and bags but I still have clothes sitting on my desk chair as I don't have the room. To be honest, I don't tend to look at things and ask myself if I need it (which I probably should) but see things I like and just impulse buy :(
  • lexbubbles
    Options
    I JUST yesterday cleared out my wardrobe and put 35 things on eBay. Third time in 2014 :o

So now I'm left with
    12 sweaters
    2 cardigans
    11 shirts/blouses
    9 non t-shirt tops
    4 t-shirts
    5 bodysuits

2 pairs of jeans (blue/black)
    3 pairs of trousers (black/camel/green)
    1 pair of shorts (bright teal denim)
    2 skirts (orange/brown-purple-autumnal pattern)

13 dresses

9 items of work-out clothing (1x track pants, 1x leggings, 3x strappy tops, 4x t-shirts)

10 jackets (a blue blazer, a varsity jacket, Lotus F1 jacket, white leather 'Rallycross' jacket, faux-sheepskin, faux-fur, grey trench, A CAPE, an oversize hoodie, short plaid coat)

11 pairs of shoes (trainers, 2 x ballet flats black/green, black brogues, black heeled brogues, 2x Mary Jane heels red/black, brown-gold courts, black ankle boots, black knee high boots, cream ankle boots)
    Aqua 0/1850 Cap.One 0/450 Vanquis 0/500 HSBC 0/100
    :j ~Debt Free Date 07/12/2015~ :j

SPC member #530 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin 3-month EF: £2158.63/4600
    Make £10/day Nov-Dec £814.04 Jan-Apr £1689.78 May £233.57/310
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    I've got three coats:
    A thick grey jersey, 1950's style coat that's very warm and looks great but isn't at all waterproof so not really very practical in winter.
    A pale blue duffle coat type mac that I panic bought after my grey coat got waterlogged and I realised I needed something waterproof. It's very lightweight so good for spring and autumn weather but a bit dowdy looking.
    I've just bought a brown anorak type coat which I love the look of but is neither warm nor waterproof.

I need to buy another coat that is warm, waterproof, AND looks good but god knows they're hard to find.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure