Dealing with Car Salesmen

Options
warehouse
warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 28 October 2014 at 6:16PM in Motoring
Hi All, going in to a dealership to look at a new car tomorrow. It's a really good deal so won't be losing that much when I drive it off the forecourt. My worry is that I'm absolutely useless when it comes to dealing with car salesmen.

In the past I've not haggled enough and put up with list price, I've accepted minimum price for part exchange, (they've already given me a quote at £1000 below what I researched as a reasonable part exchange for my current car), and I've put up with sales patter about paint protection, this and that, and not haggled the silly admin fee.

My question is how can I man up against the salesman tomorrow and what are the right things to say to get exactly what I want out of the deal so it's fairer for both sides and not loaded totally in favour of the dealership?

Thanks.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Pants

Comments

• DoctorFoster
    Options
    How good a deal?

Give us an idea of list price and the price it's up for. We need to see how much room you have to negotiate.

Just be prepared for the lies they tell to get you to sign tomorrow.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    It's a really good deal...
    Just don't say that to the salesman!
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • warehouse
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How good a deal?

Give us an idea of list price and the price it's up for. We need to see how much room you have to negotiate.

Just be prepared for the lies they tell to get you to sign tomorrow.

It's for a pre registered vauxhhall zafira at £9,999. They offered £2000 for my current car which is showing as £3,100 part exchange, (and that's a poor condition one).
    Pants
  • DoctorFoster
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    It's for a pre registered vauxhhall zafira at £9,999. They offered £2000 for my current car which is showing as £3,100 part exchange, (and that's a poor condition one).

And a new one would be what 14k?

What's the difference in price?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It really would be helpful to know what spec the Zafira is and what the make, model, spec, age and mileage of your part ex are.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Salesmen.......... I bl**dy hate them.

Tough one this, as human beings we naturally trust people who have the gift of the gab, or who seem familiar (like TV personalities), but these people are usually the people we should trust the least.

You have to keep in mind that if you don't like something, then you WILL walk out. Don't compromise, don't let them sell you extra's you don't need (like super quadraspaz "I can't be bothered to wash my car" paint protection) and warranties that don't actually cover anything.

In your situation i'd not be surprised if most people drive out of the dealership having effectively given away their old car.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • DoctorFoster
    Options
    http://www.penfoldsgroup.co.uk/plus/pre-reg-zafira-exclusiv

http://www.wilsons.co.uk/vauxhall/new-cars/vauxhall-zafira-offers

There are plenty about if it's an exclusiv

These cost more than yours so they'll argue £9999 is good and the best they can do. Can you find cheaper?

Salesmen like to talk about the cost to get you into the car rather than the true price.

I don't think they'll drop on their price unless you evidence the same for less.

So going back to the price to get you into the car. Is your current car work the 2k they've offered you or the 3k trade price?

That's were you negotiation will be.
  • DoctorFoster
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Salesmen.......... I bl**dy hate them.

Tough one this, as human beings we naturally trust people who have the gift of the gab, or who seem familiar (like TV personalities), but these people are usually the people we should trust the least.

You have to keep in mind that if you don't like something, then you WILL walk out. Don't compromise, don't let them sell you extra's you don't need (like super quadraspaz "I can't be bothered to wash my car" paint protection) and warranties that don't actually cover anything.

In your situation i'd not be surprised if most people drive out of the dealership having effectively given away their old car.

:T

Two things we agree on.

:beer:
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2014 at 10:37AM
    Options
    And a new one would be what 14k?

What's the difference in price?

The cheapest Zafira I can make on the Vauxhall config page is £19250, unless I'm missing something.

Also, be careful buying pre-reg. Make sure they actually have the V5 in the dealership and that you can take it away with you if you buy it, rather than having to wait 6 months for it.
  • warehouse
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    http://www.northernmotors.co.uk/plus/zafira-exclusiv

I think DoctorFoster hit the nail on the head with the price for my current car. It's in average condition but with a full service history and long mot. The price Northern Motors offered was £2000, but even glasses guide says I should be offered over £3000 for a poor condition car, (no mot, no service history). Private I'm looking at £3,500 ish.

I won't be taking any extras, the car we're buying is absolute minimum spec, (only wanted air con and a cd player), but from the offer they've made on my current car that's where they appear to be building in a negotiation margin.

I suppose my real question is how do I get them to pay the going price for my car, (part ex price). How to negotiate that?
    Pants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport