Cancelled Dentist Appointment

Options
Not sure on this one but my other half had her appointment cancelled today for a tooth extraction and a plate to be fitted for the missed tooth, apparently the plate was not ready but as a nurse she had her shift cancelled because of this. She works part time and lost out on a days work because of this.

Is there any come back in terms of the lost days work?

Comments

• DoctorFoster
    Options
    Was it a nhs appointment?
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2014 at 11:02PM
    Options
    As a part time nurse, I would imagine that your other half would have enough time off to arrange a dental appointment at a mutually convenient time without the need for taking days off (I'd imagine that there are a lot of night shifts knocking around too) - I work 40+ hours a week and still managed to squeeze in a tooth extraction/fitting and the recent dentist cancelled an appointment and screwed me around but I never lost work even on 5-6 days per week.

Or your other half can go try and sue the practice and have your tooth extraction in the back yard with a pair of pliers and a few pints of special brew when you strangely end up being struck off the practice's patient list.
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    She works two days a week and is rota's on and her manager said it was best if she had it off as didnt want her in after having that done at 8am, there are no more shifts or any on the bank for her at the moemnt. The dentist, NHS called her at 17:30 the night before
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    keyser666 wrote: »
    She works two days a week and is rota's on and her manager said it was best if she had it off as didnt want her in after having that done at 8am, there are no more shifts or any on the bank for her at the moemnt. The dentist, NHS called her at 17:30 the night before

why not book the appointment with the dentist on 1 of the 5 days she already has off work?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2014 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Not sure on this one but my other half had her appointment cancelled today for a tooth extraction and a plate to be fitted for the missed tooth, apparently the plate was not ready but as a nurse she had her shift cancelled because of this. She works part time and lost out on a days work because of this.

Is there any come back in terms of the lost days work?

No she cannot claim for that.

She was planning to have the day off to have the treatment anyway, so has lost nothing.

However, anytime that she needs to take off for the re-scheduled appointment probably is claimable.

Not quite the same scenario, but MSE's Failed Delivery article explains the detail better than I can.
    The principle is the same.

Maybe she could arrange the new appointment at such a time that she didn't need to take more time off. That would certainly save the aggro of trying to claim, wouldn't it?

An alternative is to schedule the new appointment towards the end of her shift. In that way, her losses, and hence her claim, would be significantly less.
    Mitigation of losses springs to mind.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options

Yea well no offence but when you're on a zero hour contract (shifted in for 9 hours per day over 5-6 days a week) and facing the sack if you don't go into work an hour after having a tooth extraction you lose a bit of sympathy for a 2 day nurse who takes a whole day off for a tooth extraction simply because;

1. They didn't tell the dental practice that the particular day is inconvenient (and that 5 out of 7 days ARE convenient)

2. They didn't drag their bum into work despite what their manager recommends

That's her choice, but to then go on and claim loss of earnings is just absurd. Not being funny but you should have words with your other half. Either she's rich and doesn't need to work much (defeats the purpose of this query), has problems (like depression etc - a proper "look after me" lass which certainly isn't a bad thing like but it is a bit iffy) or an idiot (unless you're the one pushing her into this!).
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options

So she was called last minute the evening before a day she was meant to work and rather than say that another date was more suited, she cancelled one of the two days she works. That makes no sense to me at all and her work would surely not be happy for her to cancel work at short notice for a non-emergency reason.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So she was called last minute the evening before a day she was meant to work and rather than say that another date was more suited, she cancelled one of the two days she works. That makes no sense to me at all and her work would surely not be happy for her to cancel work at short notice for a non-emergency reason.

I think you have totally misunderstood the situation. There was an appointment date set (probably weeks ahead) and accordingly the OP's wife was unable to accept a shift on that day. Then the evening before the appointment was cancelled so she is quite rightly miffed.

On occasions with my local dentist, I've booked a check-up and hygienist appointment for the same visit and it is not until I have arrived that I am told that either dentist or the hygienist is not available because of illness/ broken down car/poorly child or pet. Meaning I have to take additional time out of work with additional transport costs for a second visit. Yes, I am sure some of these are sudden emergencies but where possible it would be nice to have the opportunity to re-arrange the appointments for convenience sake.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    I think you have totally misunderstood the situation. There was an appointment date set (probably weeks ahead) and accordingly the OP's wife was unable to accept a shift on that day. Then the evening before the appointment was cancelled so she is quite rightly miffed.

I'm sure what you're saying is probably right, but she would have had considerably less need to be miffed had she set the appointment for a day when she doesn't work, which should have been pretty easy if she only works 2 days a week.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    That's her choice, but to then go on and claim loss of earnings is just absurd. Not being funny but you should have words with your other half. Either she's rich and doesn't need to work much (defeats the purpose of this query), has problems (like depression etc - a proper "look after me" lass which certainly isn't a bad thing like but it is a bit iffy) or an idiot (unless you're the one pushing her into this!).

Good grief.

Would you care to expand on your thoughts about mental health conditions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure