IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

VCS PCN - Help Needed

Options
AB_Express
AB_Express Posts: 94 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 November 2016 at 9:02PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi All, need some advice regarding a PCN from VCS. I have read through the sticky for the newbies and would like help with my situation.

The PCN was issued for 'stopping on a roadway where stopping is prohibited'. The piece of 'road' where the car had stopped on was pretty much a dirt track that is not much longer than a car that leads to wasteland. The car was pulled over to check an oil leak and the photos on the PCN show the driver bent over looking under the car.

I have ignored the letters. So far I have had 2 from VCS and have received 2 from DRP (second received today).

I would just like to know what my options are. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You should really have appealed the first letter.
    However whack in a standard appeal from the newbie thread to VCS. (Ignore DRP letters) and see what happens.
    Although mitigating circumstances are usually to be avoided at all costs, I would be tempted to add a final point:

It is my understanding as keeper, that the driver stopped car for safety reasons due to oil light appearing on car and wished to check. There was indeed an oil leak and driver felt it unsafe to continue until the situation had been dealt with. This is backed up by the photographic evidence you have provided me.

Wait though and see if anyone else agrees with me. This may be something better kept for POPLA if your are lucky enough to get issued a code.

Alternatively since you started down the ignore route, you could just continue this was unless you get an LBA.

All this is assuming you are in England or Wales, but if in Scotland continue to ignore anyway.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,778 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boy you missed your chance by ignoring this (TWO year old advice and you followed it?!). As long as this was in England/Wales, why don't you just appeal to VCS anyway as keeper (NOT DRIVER, not talking about what happened unless you use the third person: 'the driver this, the driver that...'). The Newbies thread tells you to appeal anyway if 'you think you are too late to appeal' so not sure why you need to ask the same thing already covered there.

Don't write to the debt collectors; no-one tells you to contact them as it's pointless.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • AB_Express
    edited 7 March 2016 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Do I go with the standard appeal? I have read the 'if you think you're too late' section and was unsure which letter template to use. Do I put a paragraph in about the circumstances in which the vehicle had to to stop?

I know I should have done things differently but what is the likely outcome?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    circumstances in which I had to stop?
    No - the bit in bold tells you why NOT to add anything...surely you have read not to imply who was driving? Just use the template but VCS won't stop the silly letters. Worst case scenario = you drown in junk mail (!) because VCS haven't gone near a courtroom since VCS v Ibbotson!*

* yep that's linked in the Newbies thread too, in post #5 'court cases won'.

P.S. alternatively, you could just carry on ignoring them now you've decided to follow that outdated tactic.
  • AB_Express
    edited 7 March 2016 at 3:40PM
    Options
    I sent the standard template to VCS and they replied saying my account had been forwarded to DRP due to no payment in 28days, all enquiries must be direct to them and VCS will not acknowledge or respond to any further correspondence.

I sent the template to DRP that said I will not be paying and refer my case back to the client. I received a letter from them yesterday. They got my name correct but then referred to me as Ms. In this letter they say as part of the BPA code of practice, Point 22.7 the time to challenge the charge has now expired and access to independent appeals is no linger available. They go on to say why my charge is valid, why using internet templates will not resolve the matter and I should seek professional legal advice.

If I don't pay then DRP will recommend court action to the client and they make reference to ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis & Wardley [2014]. They close the letter by saying although any correspondence that does not provide further evidence will be noted and retained, I cannot guarantee that we will reply to it.

Again, any help will be much appreciated.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now is the time to ignore and keep the correspondence. They have stated in writing that they don't want any more correspondence without naming driver or offering more evidence so don't write again.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 1 November 2014 at 2:49AM
    Options
    Same as here in a case where a person write a useless POPLA appeal v VCS - missing out on POPLA is the same thing:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5090714

Same advice applies to you, so read the answers as if they were for you. If the event was after 13th June then send a Notice of Cancellation and nothing more.

subscribed.gifREAD THIS BEFORE POSTING ABOUT ROSSENDALES or DEBT RECOVERY PLUS!
  • AB_Express
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and links to other posts.

Just to clarify, my PCN was issued on the 9th June so looks like I can't send the Notice of Cancellation?

Thanks again for the help.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Nope you can't but you can certainly ignore them. VCS have recently moved to the IPC from the BPA and are busily having to change all their documents, their website and all their signs at every site, as well as learning how the IPC want them to argue their charges are suddenly 'consideration' not breach. So I can't see them rushing to backtrack and select your little old BPA case (one of tens of thousands) for a small claim all of a sudden!

Hope you read the link about debt collectors I gave you in blue above? Just ignore them. If you do get a very rare small claim from VCS then let us know as we can certainly help with defences, which we are very successful at! Haven't seen a claim from VCS for a while but they were useless in VCS v Ibbotson:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231

Have a laugh at the 'toothbrush' moment and the way the Judge tears into VCS!
  • AB_Express
    Options
    So just ignore any letters from VCS and DRP from now on and hope they will stop. I will of course keep an eye out for any small claims, court summons etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure