Is this a good quote for Solar?

Options
Hi Everyone!

My neighbor recently got solar panels installed and showing me his system it inspired me to look into the options for my house. I have the money in the bank gaining pitiful interest and i dont plan on moving for a good 8+ years. South facing roof. To start with i went to the people that he went with and they came up with this...

4.00 kWp system comprising 16 LG X 250S1CG3 Black/black
Fronius IG TL 3.6 inverter (20 year warranty)
Geo II internet-enabled wireless output monitoring device
iBoost (connected to immersion heater)

Total Inclusive of VAT and Installation: £5,822

I plan on going to a couple more installers but thought i would post on here to see if anybody had any suggestions and just to make sure nobody gasped at the price... Its from Roxon Electrical in Gloucestershire.

What are peoples thoughts?
Mortgage Free 22/03/17
MissWillow is my OH!

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Sounds OK to me - below £6k and with black panels and a immersion "dump" thrown in doesn't seem to be missing much for a full 4kWp system at that price.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks Dave thats reassuring.

My other question was regarding potential payback....Along with the quote they came up with figures that vary quite a lot from what i worked out online on the solar energy trust website.

Their annual example...

FIT £559
    Export £93
    Fuel Save £282
    Total £993

Solar energy trusts example:
    FIT:£494
    Export:£82
    Fuel Save: £86
    Total: £663

This is obviously a big difference and changes the pay back time dramatically. Do you think the big difference here is the website not taking into account the iboost? Or are they just more realistic as they are not trying to tell me something.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2014 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Great price and will be worthwhile with your south facing roof. I wouldn't worry about their calculations. Based on that quote I'd say it makes good economic sense.

Oh, one other point do you have any shading from buildings/trees/other.

This can impact your generation quite dramatically.
  • JimLad
    Options
    nigelpm wrote: »
    Great price and will be worthwhile with your south facing roof. I wouldn't worry about their calculations. Based on that quote I'd say it makes good economic sense.

Oh, one other point do you have any shading from buildings/trees/other.

This can impact your generation quite dramatically.

The south is the front of my house so the nearest building is the other side of the road. No trees or anything as we are in a new build estate and the tallest tree is about 5 ft and nowhere near the roof.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll find that most solar installers will quote you for deemed 50% use of generated electric when in reality its more like 25%, although with an iboost you may very well do much better.

As for price, as others have said, it's bang on the money with the iboost included.
    Take a look at some of the recent threads on here to see what some people are getting quoted, you'll soon realise they're not out to rob you.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • mac2008
    mac2008 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    As others have said very good price.

I think the electricity savings are optimistic unless you are a heavy user. However they say 'fuel saving' which might imply they are taking into account gas savings with the iboost?
    My PV system: South West England, 10x 250Wp Trina Solar panels, Fronius Inverter, South facing roof, 35° pitch with no shading.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    This is obviously a big difference and changes the pay back time dramatically. Do you think the big difference here is the website not taking into account the iboost? Or are they just more realistic as they are not trying to tell me something.

Hello JimLad. Nice price, respected kit, sounds good.

Regarding income, go to the PV FAQ and have a play with PVGIS, see section 5:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3872445

Unless you have shading issues (which you don't think you do) then this should give you a pretty accurate, possibly conservative, estimate of average annual generation.

From that just apply the FiT rate, and export rate to find the income. Regarding leccy savings, exactly what T said, most people seem to get quotes based on 50% use of PV leccy, but better to aim lower. You'll also save a bit on your gas bill (water heating), but remember gas is cheaper, so savings will be less.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • JimLad
    edited 15 July 2014 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone. I am reassured by all your comments! Think im gonna go for it!

My only concern is where they are going to place the inverter. My neighbour has his on his wall in his utility room beside his boiler (He has the exact same house). But i have put up cupboards in there. Wall space is very limited!!

I wonder how they would get the cables down to it? Would for example they be able to put it in the cupboard under the stairs? All the walls are stud.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    Thanks very much everyone. I am reassured by all your comments! Think im gonna go for it!

My only concern is where they are going to place the inverter. My neighbour has his on his wall in his utility room beside his boiler (He has the exact same house). But i have put up cupboards in there. Wall space is very limited!!

I wonder how they would get the cables down to it? Would for example they be able to put it in the cupboard under the stairs? All the walls are stud.

General advice tends to be somewhere not too hot and where you can access it relatively easily.

They are pretty large units though so cupboard under stairs might not be ideal.

Usual places are loft/garage or utility room.

Makes sense to place near other electric kit if room.
  • JimLad
    edited 15 July 2014 at 10:46AM
    Options
    nigelpm wrote: »
    General advice tends to be somewhere not too hot and where you can access it relatively easily.

They are pretty large units though so cupboard under stairs might not be ideal.

Usual places are loft/garage or utility room.

Makes sense to place near other electric kit if room.

So on the wall in the loft would be ok, if a little awkward to get too. There is litrally no wall space in my utility room unless i take some cupboards out...Is there anything on the screen that you would need to look at? For example do i need to submit readings for any of the payments, or is that a seperate device?

I guess something needs to plug into the main fusebox too...but that is beside my front door up high on the other side of the house...I think the wiring could be very awkward, how on earth would they get there?
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family