POLL: School shoes: Where do you buy yours?

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Hi everyone!

Earlier in the year we asked you to tell us where you buy your kids' school shoes.

We've collated the list you gave us into a poll to see which shop's the most popular with MSE parents. You should be able to choose more than one if you shop in different places.

If you want to join in on the poll join the Forum and log in.

Our Forum poll software allows just 10 choices so we've used the ones most mentioned or likely. Other options, though, include Deichmann, eBay and Primark
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Parents: Where do you buy your kids' school shoes? 87 votes

Amazon
0%
Asda
3%
BAGGYDigForVictoryMiss_Moneysaver 3 votes
Brantano
6%
Former_MSE_AndreaEager_ElephantSpendlesslineygeorgiasmumLyndach 6 votes
Charles Klinkard
3%
georgiasmumdixie*uobbambos 3 votes
Clarks
67%
sammywFormer_MSE_AndreaLemoncurdSpendlesstryingtobegoodliley9bellkatgeorgiasmumAlikayjakes-mumfannyadamsljw2701squibbs25Poggie123TotoMaysieMs_ChocaholicJimmyTheWigSusanjane_2pricew1970 59 votes
John Lewis
8%
springchickenLemoncurdgeorgiasmumjakes-mumgunsandbanjospeachypricesarahkmv 7 votes
Marks & Spencer
2%
georgiasmumtoniq 2 votes
Shoezone
1%
savingmummy 1 vote
Tesco
5%
barmonkeyFormer_MSE_AndreaAmaraDigForVictorybarnumdog 5 votes
TK Maxx
1%
Former_MSE_Andrea 1 vote

Comments

• GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I buy from local independent shoe shop - sometimes the shoes I buy are Clarks (although not from a "Clarks shop") sometimes european makes - not sure that there is an option that reflects that properly.

I ALWAYS buy from a shop rather than online, and one that uses trained fitters - even two slightly different designs in the same size don't necessarily fit the same.

I let my DD wear supermarket shoes sometimes out of school, but with delicate bones in feet, I think you need to protect them as much as possible for the main part of the day.

GQ
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Clarks
    Footwear is always somewhere we've refused to cut back on for our little one - especially for footwear worn for long periods of time. Sure, we will try and get a good deal / see what is in the sale - but we'll always use a store with proper fitters, such as Clarkes or Charles Klinkard.

If it's something for just messing in the garden, we'll perhaps be little less fussy :)
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I buy from a local small independent shoe shop, which mainly sells European shoes.

Never buy Clarks as I find the quality is awful, and they fall to pieces by the end of September. Startrite are slightly better, but need re-healing and soling by October half term. Supermarket shoes last as well as Clarks, but don't fit well enough support developing feet for daily wear.

Another reason for chosing a small independent is the properly trained fitters, so you know the shoes will fit well.
    Some shops like Clarks and Brantano will fit shoes, but the shop assistants generally have had only a few minutes of training.
    Zebras rock
  • MrsC....tobe
    MrsC....tobe Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Clarks
    Husbands ex-wife buys pumps for DSD to wear to school. She spends about £16 a pair on them and is replacing them every month or two so they are costing her a fortune aswell as not providing any support whatsoever so the wee ones feet at at time she needs it most. She wasn't happy when she told us one day that DSD was with us that she needed new school shoes and would give us the money when we got back. Presented with a receipt for £38 from Clarks which she wasn't happy at but guess what....3 months later they are still in perfectly good condition, not falling apart, and she hasn't had to spend anymore on them!

DSS who lives with us was bought a pair of Clarks in August when the schools went back and has only just had them replaced last month. By far the best shoes around for delicate feet.
    No longer ...tobe! Married 20/06/13MFW 2021 #117 £5415.40/£6000MFW 2022 #77 £3740/£3000MFW 2023 #82 £0/£3000
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    John Lewis
    I go to John Lewis and usually get clarks or start rite. DD has odd feet so it's a case of whatever fits her we buy! Assistant always asks which style we prefer, I always say let's measure her feet then see what you have in her size:o we usually get a choice of 2 if we're lucky.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    TK Maxx
    Thanks for the replies.

I normally buy in Brantano or get my 7 yr old fitted in Clarks then look for a decent pair in TK Maxx but we had a hole in shoe emergency mid-week when it rained a few weeks ago so we had to go straight to the nearest shoe shop and spend over £40. They are good quality though.

Hopefully they'll last for next term too.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Clarks
    Hi
    There is a Clarks outlet near me so I buy from there.

Jen
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brantano
    Hush Puppies from Brantano for my DS10 for the last 2 years. Clarkes were always good, but the in house Mothercare branch which is close do not stock over a size 3. Clarks and Hush Puppies have always been outgrown, not fallen apart.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We go to a local independent shoe shop. The shoes were expensive but they have lasted the WHOLE school year!! (I'm sure they will last the next few weeks lol)

Our nearest Clarkes have never been that great, last time we went there the trained foot measurer said the shoes instep was too big for my daughter whilst pointing to the top of her foot!
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The market in our city has a stall selling last season designs Clarks, Hush Puppies etc for around £15 a pair (primary school sort of sizes). MIL usually goes (I struggle for time to get there) or if none to fit we have a Clarks outlet about 20min drive away. DS had new Clarks last September, recently gone to a bigger size but the shoes would have lasted till the hols. DD (nursery) got Mothercare ones in Jan and needed new by Easter :( she is only wearing them 3 days a week! She now has Clarkes too, but needs a size bigger again. :doh:
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family