POLL: School shoes: Where do you buy yours?

Options
13»

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clarks
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks for voting everyone.

Have you started looking for new shoes for September yet?

Just a small point, us Scottish people actually go back in August. ;)
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clarks
    With both kids with wide feet and one also having flat feet, my only choices tend to be either Clarks or Brantano. I haven't found any of the high street clothes shops doing anything that fits either of them. We have no independent shop. I don't enjoy the experience. It really is turn up at shop, pull off shelf the right sizes and then buy the first ones that fit.
  • Carmina-Piranha_2
    Options
    Clarks
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks for voting everyone.

Have you started looking for new shoes for September yet?

No, I polished the shoes I bought around Easter time and they look good - I'm hoping they still fit!

My eldest used to have a new pair roughly once a year, but my youngest grows more quickly so I don't buy new for September purely because it's September.
    I used to be an axolotl
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Hush Puppies every time for our two. The last pair of Clark's DD had looked awful within one term (six weeks) whereas every pair of HushPups has lasted a minimum of five.

DS is particularly tough on his shoes. His first pair (HPs) lasted five terms, as did his second, also HPs. I then bought some from M&S to last the two terms to summer and they lasted one, got replaced and those also lasted one term. I then tried Geoxx ones at some great expense but they only lasted three terms until I went back to HPs which were outgrown at the beginning of term 6 just gone. I bought a pair of £6 canvas shoes from H&M to last the last few weeks and they have actually worn far better than the leather ones from M&S.

I've just found him new Hush Puppies in TK Maxx, the fit is perfect and hopefully they'll last much of the year.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clarks
    I've never had a school pair of shoes last a whole year, not even with buying Brantano/Clarks which are dear. We've paid over £50 for a pair for son before (he's 14). We usually go through 2-3 pairs in a school year.
  • dawn_rose
    dawn_rose Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clarks
    Ive been to clarks today to shoe my three, eeeeek lol
    Jan 2015 GC £267/£260
    Feb 2015 GC /£260
  • Carmina-Piranha_2
    Options
    Clarks
    Spendless wrote: »
    With both kids with wide feet and one also having flat feet, my only choices tend to be either Clarks or Brantano. I haven't found any of the high street clothes shops doing anything that fits either of them. We have no independent shop. I don't enjoy the experience. It really is turn up at shop, pull off shelf the right sizes and then buy the first ones that fit.

We hate it too - wide feet, high instep and Clarks don't always have the H fitting available in the only style that will suit their elephantine feet.

Usually a Clarks fitter will tell us which style and which size we should order online, then if we get it delivered to the store they will check the fit before we buy.

We bought Hush Puppies from Brantano once and they were great, but with Brantano it varies by fitter.
    I used to be an axolotl
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco
    Whatever I buy my boy they never last past xmas. but Clarks are crap and usually fall apart after 6 / 8 weeks, I only ever buy them if I can get them for a greatly reduced price from Clarks Village
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • Carmina-Piranha_2
    Options
    Clarks
    Spendless wrote: »
    I've never had a school pair of shoes last a whole year, not even with buying Brantano/Clarks which are dear. We've paid over £50 for a pair for son before (he's 14). We usually go through 2-3 pairs in a school year.

Eldest's Clarks shoes have lasted a year, typically more.
    I used to be an axolotl
  • Carmina-Piranha_2
    Options
    Clarks
    Ugh, now Barmonkey has joined I'm going to have to vacate the thread, no offence BM :)
    I used to be an axolotl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport