DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    MB you are brilliant! :rotfl:

My hour with the books turned into two and a half! Quite depressing from a DMP perspective as part of this module is on loans and overdrafts and it's a bit of a slap in the chops about how silly I've been financially and how much I buried my head in the sand in the past.

I've powered through it though and only two chapters on investment and the UK banking system to go and I can take the mock exam. Now I'm up and running I want to finish today and do the mock tomorrow and see how much has sunk in.

It's definitely distracted me now I've got started!

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    Growurown wrote: »
    Are you OK MB? Do you need a lie down?
    (Psst you haven't been at the wacky baccy perchance?):rotfl::rotfl:

Blame the drugs MB ;)
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    jessbaird wrote: »
    I did originally ask Payplan but they said it was something they don't deal with. To be honest I was considering pushing it further with Payplan see if they can deal with it, I hate talking to student finance they are so rude.

Jess xx

Jessbaird, I could be wrong but I don't think student debt can be included in a DMP? I know they can't be included in a DRO... You might want to try speaking to another debt charity too if Payplan aren't being too helpful? I'm not saying that they could do anything differently but they might be more 'forthcoming' with advice on what to do... As for them threatening to get the bailiffs on you, I suspect this is all bluster as I can't imagine a court agreeing to this if you are on a DMP and seen to be paying all that you can? Although hopefully someone with more experience in the matter should be along to advice soon :)

I would agree about a normal student loan not being included but this is an overpayment that they are trying to recover, so may be different. It's worth a try anyway.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Murphy2011
    Options
    Evening peeps!

Haven't posted for ages but I've finally got around to updating my signature and I had to do a "yay us!" post!

I'm thrilled that at the end of the year we will actually drop into the Fabulous Forties, it may still seem huge to everyone else but when your starting debt is over £70k it just didn't seem possible.

Although I haven't posted for ages I still lurk and it's great to see how well everyone is doing, keep up the good work!
    Started DMP Oct 2012 debtfree date 1st March 2020
    Starting debt £72481
    Current debt £47600. 33% paid off!!!:T:rotfl::rotfl::j
    Moved from £70's to £60's, bye bye £50's and hello £40's!
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Murphy2011 wrote: »
    Evening peeps!

Haven't posted for ages but I've finally got around to updating my signature and I had to do a "yay us!" post!

I'm thrilled that at the end of the year we will actually drop into the Fabulous Forties, it may still seem huge to everyone else but when your starting debt is over £70k it just didn't seem possible.

Although I haven't posted for ages I still lurk and it's great to see how well everyone is doing, keep up the good work!

:Twell done:T
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Evening peeps!

Yay back at ya - great news and heading for forty.. Motivational, thanks.

MB too many Haribo my lovely...have a little ie down:rotfl:

JessB - since PayPal couldn't include the debt in the DRO, surely they should have made it part of your budget so you can afford to pay it? If payplan won't help, I'd try stepchange or national debtline for advice too. Main thing is keep in touch with student loans, even if it's just emailing them, and keep copies, so that you can prove you intend to pay, it's just you can't right now. In fact I'd consider making token payments for now £1 just to prove intent ?

Florida/Puzz. I got a letter at 6months from BC saying contact us now or your DMP ceases or something like that, I called them and they said they had not heard back from SC with an up to date I&E. I confirmed I was still in dire financial circs, still in DMP. I did the online contact to SC, they said they'd sort it and I didn't hear anything else it all went back to usual DMP status. I suppose I should expect another round from BC as it's probably about 6 months since the last one.

Kate, stay positive, sounds like you did great. I can recall one of my bosses trying to analyse a spreadsheet in a smart board, it's not an easy thing to do. The studying sounds awesome, I can't concentrate like that anymore (it's the night shifts according to a recent study:eek:). Or too much Haribo maybe:rotfl:
    When will we, sorry you, know? :D

Brogden, I suffer from anxiety, to the point of chest pains, and I just don't think I'm strong enough to cope with the likes of BC and HBOS, the others I'd be fine with, but thanks for the support and tough talk, makes it worth thinking about.

Formysister, please don't make yourself ill too, that won't help at all.
    I can understand why sis wants to go back to work and skim over the trouble and in truth, IMO if you can do that, it might be the best thing. Depend on personalities, you have to be able to fib about where you were or what happens and why etc, and for some that is not a problem, but it will not help at all if it actually puts more pressure on sis.

Moving forward for sis, could you get her to read the thread a bit, just to show she has friends here and we're not going to judge, and there is a less dramatic way out, although it's not easy, I don't ever pretend a DMP is easy. I'd like to hope if she's up to getting back to work, she might be ready to face the debts soon, but perhaps now is a bit too soon?

Ok too much sitting down, best get something done while sun shines
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all! Who knows what was going on last night LOL now I can edit my posts but it seems stupid to edit those from yesterday... Aye by gum :(

MB of G x
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Moving forward for sis, could you get her to read the thread a bit, just to show she has friends here and we're not going to judge, and there is a less dramatic way out, although it's not easy, I don't ever pretend a DMP is easy. I'd like to hope if she's up to getting back to work, she might be ready to face the debts soon, but perhaps now is a bit too soon?

This is a brilliant idea from Sazzie and really hopeeventually ForMySister can even bring her along to join us, we would really love to meet her.

TTFTM x
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Evening peeps!

We love to celebrate milestones on this thread! :j

Well done Murphy, that's a fantastic achievement :T

TTFTM x
  • spiffyiffy
    Options
    Hi all,

Quick update:

I actually received a reply from MBNA on Friday but only opened the mail yesterday. They said something along the lines of holding the account for 30 days and would see what they can help me with once they receive notification from StepChange.

Well that's a step in the right direction but now to wait and see if I get replies from my other 8 creditors :)

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport