PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

purple brick

Options
smudger1946
smudger1946 Posts: 645 Forumite
edited 17 May 2014 at 4:35PM in House buying, renting & selling
Any good or bad reviews on Purple Brick house selling company?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Purple Brick?

Red faces?:rotfl:
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any good or bad reviews on Purple Brick house selling company?

No, just a load of spam.
  • makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    The idea sounds appealing but as with any new venture on that scale, there will be many casualties and horror stories from the early adopters until the idea gains traction.

The sole intention of this company, in my opinion, is to create a dot-com hot air behemoth that can gain enough subscribers to make an early flotation viable. If I was a shareholder, I will always see a great deal of sense in getting rich very quickly, especially without the time and effort in building long term relationships (as EAs do with their own service partners).

Once you factor in the investment capital obligations of a promised early return on their loan of which ostensibly seems spent on advertising, it's not difficult to see corners being cut to "test the water" with this idea on early customers waiting to be disappointed.

The downside with this approach as I've stated would be difficulties in the business model in its early stages; customers will be disenchanted with the service as it tries to prove the model works, cost cutting through sub-agents and commission only staff (which almost never works) and a bad rap. They hope that people will ignore these problems until the service has taken a market share, it is only then they might spend any money on improving the service.

Based on my analysis, I would steer clear. I would say try them ONLY in a couple of years if the company is still around.

All web behemoths work on this principle; subscribers, subscribers and more subscribers. People will then talk, talk, talk with the unfortunate side effect of becoming a tip-of-the-tongue brand name (think compare the mk), but without the quality and service one would come to expect.

You might want to google the executive team, the provenance and track record of their skills and business newsbites seems woeful. I wouldn't want to go there.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like the thread from the other day has been deleted.

That contained a load of spam saying how wonderful they were.

So OP be careful if you think about giving them any money.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • smudger1946
    Options
    Thanks for info. buyer beware I feel.
    I will use the tried and tested EA'S.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They advertise on the telly, so I had a look .... and they seemed to have about 10 properties in total ... closest to me about 200 miles away .... so I suspect they won't be high on people's mental notes to keep checking.

Stick with RM - the one everybody knows ... and Zoopla, which I think is owned by Estate Agents. Between the two they've got 98% of the market listed and so people will go to one/both and look... and will only look on other sites if they're truly desperate and have been looking months and found nothing......
  • smudger1946
    Options
    I was looking more for selling than buying through them, as it will be our last move, I was looking to save as much money as possible from the sale of the home, as agents fees etc. eat in to the sale price plus all the other fees associated with home selling/buying.
  • traineepensioner
    Options
    Purplebricks = former Capita boss = outsourced customer call centre :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    No longer trainee :o
    Retired in 2012 (54) :)
    State pension due 2024 (66) :(
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was looking more for selling than buying through them, as it will be our last move, I was looking to save as much money as possible from the sale of the home, as agents fees etc. eat in to the sale price plus all the other fees associated with home selling/buying.

If you're selling then you would want to go with a company who will advertise where most people looking to buy will see it i.e. Rightmove, Zoopla, etc.
  • Ajrussel
    Options
    I signed up following seeing the adverts and looking at the website. They are on Rightmove, Primelocation and Zoopla but in 10 days we have had no interest and no appointments made coming up to our second weekend. It seems like a great idea, saving £1,000's on Estate agency commission but we are already thinking we have wasted £600. What they don't tell you is they use a call centre in solihull and one in Essex- nothing to do with their business- probably also selling claim services for payment protection and mobility aids! Google the conveyancing services they outsource as well ( which have a pretty poor reputation) and you basically pay for access to primelocation, zoopla and rightmove and little else. I think it is just a vehicle for it's founders to turn a fast buck, leaving the poor self employed sales agents and their customers wishing they had stuck with traditional estate Agengy, despite the large fees .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure