We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you/have you taken a second job?

Options
DD265
DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 15 April 2014 at 5:36PM in Debt-free wannabe
I have the opportunity to apply for a Sunday job doing something related to my hobby. I already work Monday-Friday full time plus a half day on a Saturday every three weeks.

I'm torn between the thought of the extra income and the thought of giving up that free day. I'm not in a desperate situation but it would bring my debt free day forward and also after that assist in the whole mortgage deposit situation.

I don't want to get in there and then flake out early on as the job would be working for a friend.

Any thoughts or experiences?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    IMO if you have the opportunity to have an extra income to pay off debt then you should jump to it. Attack the debt and when it's gone you can decide whether to keep the 2nd job or not.

Do you have children? If not, you won't flake out. It's you vs the debt and you'll get through it with sleep and and a good diet.
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have (technically) four jobs - my main one (30hrs not including travel), second one (about 10hrs a week inc travel but scope for more) and two types of occasional work (1 1/2 days every so often for the 3rd, and about 8hrs or so every so often for the fourth).
    It can be tiring but definitely worth it :) x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work FT, and do additional PT contracts of 22hrs per week.

I need the money, but I so envy people who have time to laze around/be bored. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It sounds like you are in a great position, but also a bit ambivalent.

On one hand, you obviously like doing this thing, otherwise it wouldn't be one of your hobbies.

But on the other hand doing something for fun and doing something because you have to (have made a commitment to do it for x hours over x weeks etc...) are very different.

Would it take the fun out of a hobby you enjoy by making it work?

Is it an expensive hobby, that this might make it pay for itself?

Think about how you have used this time (what ever the work hours are) over the last few weeks/months - what would you be missing out on by this additional commitment?

Also, what impact would it have on your DFD? Is it significant?

Just a few thought I had/things that might be worth considering.

HTH,

D9
  • FinanciallyUnsavvy
    Options
    I do have a second job, but I can do it from home and it's totally flexible around my evenings/weekends. I'm not sure I could forgo my weekends for a part time job. As much as I want to tackle debts, I know how much just the 9-5 can be a struggle for me at times, and having less time away would burn me out completely. Everyone is different and can cope with pressures and stresses better, so only you can decide if you can cope. It can't hurt to try though perhaps - if it is too much, at least you know you've tried your best!
  • blue_pixie
    blue_pixie Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    It all depends on your main job and your home life and essentially how your life balances out. If you take on extra work when your main job is very stressful or tiring, chances are you may burn yourself out. But if the stress of not paying your debt off quickly is getting to you and you can do another job then why not. My experience was that I was working 30 hours a week (not enough) so I took on a (very) early morning cleaning job that I could do every day before my main job began (no childcare costs), and once I got used to the adjustments with bedtime etc, all it worked out great. I will say I don't do it now and I'm not too sad about it though! ;-)
    I realised I was a debt free wannabe in January 2014..:o
    Staying positive..:oPlugging away every month..:o
    Will be debt free by February 2015! :o
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I was in my early 20s I had three jobs:

• Full time, 9-5, Monday-Friday as a PA (shorthand/secretary)
    • Evenings, Monday-Thursday 6-9 as a telephone canvasser making appointments for double glazing salesmen
    • Saturday and Sunday, 7am to 6pm every other weekend as a forecourt cashier at a petrol station.

I had no debts, it's just that wages weren't great and I wanted to run a car.
  • longtermplanner
    longtermplanner Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    I have the opportunity to apply for a Sunday job doing something related to my hobby.

I would say go for it. Not only will it help you clear your debts faster, but it also let's you explore a different type of work to your 'real' job. Who knows, you could love it and the experience may give you enough confidence to change career direction at some point.
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work full time mon-fri 37.5 hrs a week and at a restaurant two nights and two shift on the weekend, I do around 25 hrs additional per week. Its very stressful and it does put pressure on my family my husband is a stay-at-home dad and he doesn't get any time for himself at all, my kids are 14, 8 and 2 and I just don't get to spend enough time with them.

Thing is at present its either this or homelessness and its not long-term as I am selling the property I own soon to even us out and we'll be fine on my main salary then.

Nat
    x
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • starsandmoon
    Options
    I work full time 9-5 and every other Sunday I do a 4 hour shift in a library. It doesnt impact on family life and although not fantastically paid its helps pay the majority of a holiday. I originally took it on when I was part time and my wages were cut, managed to go back full time but kept it on.

I also got some extra hours when I was really skint a couple of years ago and they were short staffed which saved me financially at the time.
    I have every possession I want. I have a lot of friends who have a lot more possessions. But in some cases I feel the possessions possess them, rather than the other way round
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport