EE.T-Mob.Orange. Change T&C From 26th March 2014

Options
" EE has announced changes in its terms and conditions for several contract customer from March.

EE, Orange and T-Mobile customers were sent a text message today (4 February) to confirm that terms and conditions were changing with regards to how they notify customers of future price rises. The terms will change on 26 March, and customers who joined or upgraded with EE before 23 January 2014, and Orange and T-Mobile customers who joined or upgraded before 30 October 2012 will be affected.

The change means that if the operator tries to increase customers' price plans above the RPI rate of inflation, they can cancel without charge.

An EE spokesperson said: 'We are making changes to our T&Cs regarding how we notify customers of future price rises. The new term will take effect from 26 March and provides greater transparency in the event of a price increase. This supports recent guidance provided by Ofcom.’ "

- See more at: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/28084/ee_reveals_contract_terms_and_conditions_will_change_in_march.aspx#sthash.CuJTaVyt.dpuf

Comments

• Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No notification texts here, on any of the 3 orange contracts I have.
  • RandomCurve
    RandomCurve Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Options
    The change only applies to customers who signed up before Oct 30th 2012. I think this gives rise to a penalty free cancellation - see posts #2311 and #2313 on this forum:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64612446&posted=1#post64612446
  • drewziph
    drewziph Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2014 at 1:04PM
    Options
    I fall into this category.

Please can you keep me updated with how any convos with ee go?

I did change from a tmobile contract to an ee contract in march 2013 - they offered me a free upgrade to 4g over the phone. However they never sent me any new t&c or said there would be any change therefore I believe I should still be based on the pre october 12 t&c's

edit: I received the text this morning, which gives me reason to think I definitely would fall into this category.
  • vixmony
    vixmony Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got the text this morning and I thought I could cancel but this is just for the future apparently should ee decide to increase pricrs
  • sfancy
    sfancy Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    My text says ( I'm with T mobile) that changes to new t&c's take effect on 26 march. Says the new conditions " affect all customers who joined or upgraded to a t mobile plan on or after 30 October 2012 and before 23 jan 2014.

I took out my contract June 2013 so I guess I'm affected. Rung customer services who said there may or may not be a price increase and I can't cancel because they have not decided yet. They said we would be given 2 weeks notice!!!

Watch out people seems like minimal notice to me!!!
  • drewziph
    drewziph Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    The way I see it, they don't have to raise prices for you to be able to leave. The t&c state they can't change the t&c to your detriment.

The fact they are changing them to allow a future price rise is still to the detriment of the customer and therefore a breach of the t&c..

I've submitted a complaint today. I'll post when I have a response.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they are genuinely clarifying T&Cs or modifying them due to a regulatory request then it will be difficult to cancel.

Do you have the actual wording?
    drewziph wrote: »
    The way I see it, they don't have to raise prices for you to be able to leave. The t&c state they can't change the t&c to your detriment.

The fact they are changing them to allow a future price rise is still to the detriment of the customer and therefore a breach of the t&c..

• jakethepeguk
    Options
    Really useful post this,
    likewise I have received their sneaky text message.
    I called Orange and was put through to a Sophie in their billing department.
    As I expected I was quoted levels of rpi etc, so have now sent a copy of the template email.

I will let you know how I get on
  • sfancy
    sfancy Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    You can only cancel without penalty if the price increase is more than the retail price index (RPI). Problem is- they "don't know" what the price increase is!
  • RandomCurve
    RandomCurve Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Options
    drewziph wrote: »

I think your dead right This is also a debate on another thread and I will post those debates here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure