We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cheap vegetable seeds

Options
Hi guys,

I need to make my vegetable seed order for 2014 and am trying to get the cost down as low as possible. :money:

I am looking at using Kings Seeds as they seem a bit cheaper that retail outlets and you get 10% off there as a new customer :cool:. No 40% allotment soceity discount for me though :( - tempted to join. So it is not what I would call cheap.

I am buying for myself and my dad both with a veg patch of allotment size.

I used to use Alan Romans who was really cheap but it seems he no longer operates.

Any tips on where to shop very welcome. I need some Solent Wight garlic plus about two dozen types of veg seeds in small to medium sized packs. Mostly unusual varieties but a few F1's etc.

Dean.

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you insist of specific varieties then you are limited to the main seed providers.

have you thought about Lidl and co?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • dean_wales
    Options
    I am not dead set, just a few vareities that are particularily good. For example Sungold F1 tomato seeds.

Not fussy about the rest.

I cant remember how much Lidl etc charge and so I cant compare their costs? Most places like Wilkos etc are not selling right now.

Dean.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is the thread I put up two years ago.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=51020253

And agree, sungold are very popular and a lot I know grow them.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • dianasnan
    dianasnan Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try seedparade.co.uk
    think there is a code around for 15% off at the moment which someone may be able to provide (sorry deleted their email as i had already ordered)
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2014 at 8:08PM
    Options
    "moreveg" are supposed to be good with lots of packs for 50p, but with lower amounts of seeds than others. Also like "real seeds" for unusual stuff and seeds you can save your own seeds from-the best way to really cheap seeds lol.

The other thread is good and I am fond of Lidl's offerings. I have found one of their varities of Tomato "Hildare" lives up to being blight resistant, grows like crazy and produces loads of mid size tasty salad type Tomatos.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• whippetowner
    Options
    we have used vegetableseeds.net the last 2 years for seeds ,they have lots of varieties that I have not seen on sale else where and not that expensive

garlic I get from wilkinsons or b&m they are quite reasonable
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,319 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    we have used vegetableseeds.net the last 2 years for seeds ,they have lots of varieties that I have not seen on sale else where and not that expensive

garlic I get from wilkinsons or b&m they are quite reasonable

You can get a £10 voucher towards vegetableseeds net offerings, but you do have to write & contribute to a blog

The vouchers are awarded a about twice a year from memory

"The next free seed allocation will be March 2014 . Bloggers will need to have (1) Updated their personal and site avatars, (2) posted regular articles (100+ words) each month between now and then, (3) All articles must have photos, (4) Updated your "About" page, (5) Added a link to www.vegetableseeds.net on their Blogroll page, (6) Posted a message on one of your fellow bloggers pages.

http://vegblogs.co.uk/
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • markandkate
    Options
    You can sometimes get good collections on ebay
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kitchen garden magazine has 10packs of seeds if you buy at MrT mag costs £3.99 might be worth a look.
    Also have you tried your local freecycle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport