Schooling for September born kid

Options
My daughter was born in late September. My local council cuts off school intake by 31st August.

This means, she will have to join school almost a year later (and extra childcare cost) :mad:

Do I have any choice here?

Can I try to push her to school next year? Will schools consider my application if there is space remaining?
Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't think so.

Why do you want to push her in anyway? (apart from to save £ on childcare) 1/12 of parents will be in your situation.

The dates are there for a reason.

Why don't you try doing some basics in the 3 R's at home with her, to give her a head start before next year.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No, they won't change the dates.

If you want her to have a more 'schooltype' environment, for the next year, there are nurseries that do this.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • shop-to-drop
    Options
    September born children on average do much better at school than August born ones who often struggle to keep up. So see it as the advantage it is. School is meant to be able education not to provide free childcare.
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think all children should start school at 5. Some kids are just 4 when they start school and this in my opinion is too early for lots of kids. My daughter is a November birthday and she started around the right age, she was ready but then she was almost 5, starting a year earlier she would have been no way ready.

There has to be a cut off somewhere though, so there will always be some kids much younger than their classmates.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    My daughter was born in late September. My local council cuts off school intake by 31st August.

This means, she will have to join school almost a year later (and extra childcare cost) :mad:

Do I have any choice here?

Can I try to push her to school next year? Will schools consider my application if there is space remaining?

Look on the positive side - your daughter will have a much better start in her education by being one of the oldest in her year.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My son was a September babe.....as was I. The July and August born kids in reception really struggled by comparison. I agree it is an advantage not a disadvantage in the long run . Overall it's better even if your child are costs are stopping you seeing this at the moment.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Statistically, it is an advantage. Your child has (statistically) a better chance of doing well in school in the long run than someone who is the youngest in their year group.

(I know that not all September borns do well and not all August borns do less well, before anyone gets angry)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As others have said, your child will have an advantage as an 'early birthday' pupil.

In fact, I thought this thread was going to ask for ways to help a September born child who was becoming bored in class, as her conceptual development meant she was streaking ahead.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    My daughter is an August born child so had literally just turned 4 when she started school. I can't imagine my son who has just turned 4 being at school like my daughter was at this age! Luckily he will be nearly 5 by the time he starts.

My daughter was really behind compared with her classmates at first and I know this was due to age because now she has caught up and does very well.

I would look upon it as an advantage too!
  • Bean83
    Bean83 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As she was born in late Sept, then no you don't have any chance of getting her in a year early. I have heard of it happening when the child's birthday is very close to the cutoff, i.e., birthday on 30th Aug/1st Sept, although that was when I was at primary school so over 20 years ago now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure