Spending Tracking Apps?

Options
Broke_Kitty
Broke_Kitty Posts: 305 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
edited 23 December 2013 at 12:17PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi all!

Still powering away at my debt clearing journey.
The main thing I'm struggling with is keeping track of how much I spend. I did start a spreadsheet, but I find it difficult to keep on top of because I am not always home every evening to fill it in, and I forget etc.

I was wondering if anybody knows of any good apps for tracking your spending via your mobile, as this would be a lot more manageable as my phone is always on me.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing okay at sticking to my weekly budget but it would just be nice to know EXACTLY what I spend, and online banking takes a while to update.

I use an iPhone, but I don't see any reason why we can't post Android apps here too in case that might help somebody else.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
LBM moment Nov 2013
Barclaycard 0% [STRIKE]£2,719.64[/STRIKE] £1,575.22 Virgin 0% [STRIKE]£3,224.00[/STRIKE] £2,533.08 MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1,994.72[/STRIKE] £2,473.53Lloyds Card 0% [STRIKE]£1740[/STRIKE] £1,260 Loan 22.80% APR [STRIKE]£3,585.63[/STRIKE] GONE:j Invisalign 0% [STRIKE]£2,493.26[/STRIKE] GONE :jOriginal Total: [STRIKE]£13,120.17[/STRIKE] Now: £7,841.43

Comments

• buffster_2
    Options
    I don't know about apps, but have you thought about creating a dropbox account and putting your spreadsheet in there so you can access it from your phone? You'd also need an app like Kingsoft Office (which is free) so that you could use and update the spreadsheet on your phone.

You can also log into dropbox from any computer on which you've downloaded it. That'll create a dropbox folder and you just drag and drop the items you want in there, and they're accessible on your phone from there. So when you update a folder in dropbox from one of these, it's updated on them all.

There's other cloud based software obviously, but dropbox is just the one I found easiest to use.

I have my credit card spreadsheet in it so I can update on my phone as soon as I've made a payment. Very handy.
  • Eyes_wide_open
    Options
    I have a pocket filofax - finance sheets in and track all my spending. It's light weight to carry, with me all the time.

I know it's not high tech but it works for me ... Combined with checking my bank account daily xx
    Save £12k in 2014 #080 £0/£8,000.
    £2 savers club #53
    £365 in 365 days # 101 £1/£365

Sugar free days 0/365
  • Sedge123
    Options
    I have a page in the notes on my phone, jot things down during the day and then add them on the spreadsheet when I get a chance.
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
  • Non_compos_mentis
    Options
    I use spending tracker (the free version) on my iPhone, it is not great but does the job.
    NCM
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Depends what type of phone you have.

Android...try anMoney.

There are hundreds of potential options in either App store. Sort by 'highest rating' and read the reviews.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • shiningfaery
    Options
    Funny I was looking for the same thing on my android phone and have been looking at the play store, and there are literally too many to choose from so I am looking at the features, reviews and installing them to have a go. If they are no good I am deleting them. I will stick to the free apps too.
  • Liliyanna
    Options
    Hi there,

I have the same problem so I simply email my spreadsheet to myself. That way I can log onto my email anywhere and open the spreadsheet and play around with it. Once finished I simply email the updated version to myself once more, when I get home I open my email and download it to my home computer and carry on.

Hope this helps

Lily x x
    LBM = Jan 1st 2013 - £42,000 owed DFD = Christmas Eve 2014 :D:D
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought all smartphones came with a calculator. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    I'm using clearcheckbook.com, it's online and on an app on android, would think there would be an iphone app too. seems easy enough to use, only had it about 1 week though!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a dry wipe board. On it I have columns for spending from current account and credit card. As the week passes I draw a line across usually a Thursday as that is when my standing order to my credit card goes through. That way I can see at a glance what I spend. I clear the board every month.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure