LIDL Offer Monday 7" HD Quad Core Tablet - Any Good

Options
keicar
keicar Posts: 76 Forumite
edited 26 November 2013 at 4:58PM in Techie Stuff
Just noted at my local Lidl's has a 7" tablet on offer for £90, a quick run through the specs v the Nexus 7, it looks somewhat similar maybe GPS is missing.

No expert on these things, am I missing something? Is this as good value as it seems? Only really need to surf the web.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-E4FF14E3-23F26C25/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7811

K

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    A previous gen Kindle Fire HD (£99) or even a Hudl are probably better value.
  • G42
    G42 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    You'll get more details here and Operating Manual if you want to check it out.

http://www.trekstor.co.uk/detail-surftabs-en/product/surftab-xiron-70hd.html
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Slow CPU though quad core .
    I would be looking at a known product rather than uknown.
    Though Lidl can have some excellent electrical budget stuff .
    Just in the dark not enough user feedback .
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the extra I would suggest the Hudl - has GPS and Bluetooth - very pleased with mine - I have SatNav on it - Voip (not Skype bloat) - network connections using wireless or wired ethernet (not USB) - extra browser with flashplayer - and some techie progs, it performs very well.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    keicar wrote: »
    Just noted at my local Lidl's has a 7" tablet on offer for £90, a quick run through the specs v the Nexus 7, it looks somewhat similar maybe GPS is missing.

No expert on these things, am I missing something? Is this as good value as it seems? Only really need to surf the web.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-E4FF14E3-23F26C25/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7811

K

Its a decent tablet! display is as good as Kindle HD but its not software restricted like a Kindle, has freedom of an SD slot, it has Bluetooth can be useful (especially as you can get a dongle to connect the tablet to your car OBD port for a few quid).

No GPS but GPS is of little use in a tablet in my experience anyway, difficult to mount a tablet in a car. Spec. looks OK, plenty of RAM, 16GB on-board and up to date Android. Nice slim metal backed case. If you want to keep the budget down its a perfectly good buy. What's to lose? try it and if its disappointing just take it back within 28 days for no quibble refund.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-F3D899E1-0A80D7ED/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/customer-service.htm
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a fat lump, probably a slow processor (just because it's quad core doesn't make it fast) and 6 hrs battery life doesn't sound great. £60 of Clubcard vouchers on a Hudl seems like much better value.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2013 at 2:29PM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    It's a fat lump, probably a slow processor (just because it's quad core doesn't make it fast) and 6 hrs battery life doesn't sound great. £60 of Clubcard vouchers on a Hudl seems like much better value.

Lidl Surftab = 8.9mm, HUDL = 9.85mm who is fatter?

1GHZ Quad core A7 processor and a PowerVR dual core graphics processor isn't going to be so bad is it?

6 hours of video time is what you will get out of a HUDL too.

(removed - a bit unnecessary on my part)

IF you have got £60 of Tesco vouchers fair enough buy the HUDL, obviously its better but it costs 35% more so it should be! but you only get Tesco vouchers from wasting other money shopping in Tesco.. many of us avoid it!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    1GHZ Quad core A7 processor and a PowerVR dual core graphics processor isn't going to be so bad is it?
    Isn't the Hudl 1.5 GHz quad?
  • CC-Warrior
    Options
    Could there be a bit of brand snobbery going on?

I would certainly take a close look at the tablet for the money.

Also take in to consideration that some 'skins' of android are faster/slower than others, so don't just look at the tech specs.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sillygoose - thanks for the correction on the thickness (tablets and my post), but look at the photos - that thing LOOKS thicker than the Hudl, fatter edges, more like a laptop.
    The Hudl has a random unknown 1.5Ghz quad core processor. This tablet has a random unknown 1Ghz processor. I'll bet YOU don't know which one is better, or what PowerVR dual core graphics is - but I'll also bet that the Hudl has a better processor, and better graphics, than that one.
    Hudl has twice the storage, higher resolution screen, 9 hour battery life quoted (not the 6 you guessed) and the both have MicroSD.
    I don't own a Hudl, and I'm no fan of Tesco. I think that £60 for the Hudl is better than this. I think that £120 for the Hudl is better than this. I think that £100 or £120 for a 2012 Nexus 7 (yes, I've used one) is better than this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure