Sky broadband speed estimate

We recently signed up for a deal with Sky Broadband, and at the time of calling was told the maximum speed our line can take is estimated at 4.9mbps - however if it was 'significantly lower' than this after the initial 10 days, we'd be able to question this.

After checking on the My Account section on their website, it says the estimated speed is between 2 - 5mbps. Currently with EE we get between 3.5 - 4mbps

We are due to go live with them a week on Wednesday, and was wondering what people's general experience is with Sky's speed estimates - are they generally at the lower or higher end of the estimate? I would prefer not to spend a year's contract on 2mbps, particularly when Plusnet's estimate was between 5-7mbps - don't know why there's such a difference in estimate between the two providers on the same line, didn't think Sky's LLU would have that big an impact.

"Kids respect landlords. I think it's the keys."

Comments

• Sky are pretty good when it comes to speed and estimates are just that....estimates

if you could post your router stats it would be possible to see if there are any discrepancies etc but generally skys speed is pretty much the same as any other providers
  • When I was with Sky LLU I got exactly the top end of their estimate.
  • I've found Skys estimates to be quite accurate although sometimes the average speed drops considerably within peak times and if you're running a low speed then it could be very slow for you at peak! I've found myself a lot more on Virgins side now after changing to them last year, if you can have Virgin in your area i'd recommend finding out their speeds as they've always been great for me !
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sky estimated my connection at 6mbps, I get around 10mbps, I suspect BT have upgraded some of the cabling.
    You can't compare ADSL with Cable broadband, it is however comparable with FTTC broadband.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just switched to Sky from BT. Original BT download on wired was 16 Mbps but Sky estimated 4 to 6 Mbps, speed now varies between 3 Mbps and 14 Mbps, waiting for Sky to get back to me.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What are you router statistics?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • dezza
    dezza Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your answers everyone. At least it seems so far no-one's been permanently fixed right at the lower end of the estimate, although of course it'll still be a possibility.
    "Kids respect landlords. I think it's the keys."
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your currently getting 3.5 - 4 then that is what i would expect when swapping to SKY.
    Same line etc.. So i wouldn't expect the speeds to increase.

Although i get get a small increase when i went from AOL to O2.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    On O2, I was getting an average of about 5, though with several dips. With Sky, I get about 20% more (over 6 a few minutes ago), with no noticeable flat periods.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gone back up to 13 Mbps for the last 48 hrs, perhaps Sky's resetting the modem worked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure