PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Shut the door!

Options
Rummer
Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 November 2013 at 11:19AM in Old style MoneySaving
I just need a mini rant and to hear that I am not alone! Currently I am trying to reduce our bills and it is an ongoing battle with my family to get them to work with me. It is the little things like:
  • Leaving lights/appliances on when not in the room
  • Leaving doors open
  • Not putting away the milk when making a cup of tea
  • Running baths and then constantly topping up the hot water
  • Putting clean clothes in the laundry
  • Wasting food

Does anyone else have these mini daily battles with family or are you all managing to work together?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

Comments

• moments_of_sanity
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    I just need a mini rant and to hear that I am not alone! Currently I am trying to reduce our bills and it is an ongoing battle with my family to get them to work with me. It is the little things like:
    • Leaving lights/appliances on when not in the room
    • Leaving doors open
    • Not putting away the milk when making a cup of tea
    • Running baths and then constantly topping up the hot water
    • Putting clean clothes in the laundry
    • Wasting food

Does anyone else have these mini daily battles with family or are you all managing to work together?

Lol, no this is an ongoing battle in our house too! My DD's are 16 &18 and are only just getting the 'hang' of turning lights out, shutting the living room door, not putting clothes in the wash bin just because they have tried them on but after an awful lot of nagging, we are getting there and I only really need to remind them to turn the kitchen light out. Our gas and electric bill is about £75 a month at the moment and this time last year it was over £100 so progress is being made.

I also hide the remote central heating control because they would turn that up to 22 degrees, our living room is currently 18.7 degrees and me and eldest DD have our onesies on (£12 from Pr!mark and well worth the money) and we are quite toasty in them. If anyone is cold, they have to prove they have enough layers on first before I will allow the heating or fire on as otherwise my youngest DD will come down stairs wearing a skirt that should really be used as a belt and a vest top and say it's freezing!
  • Rummer
    Options
    Glad (sorry) to hear it is not just me! The irony is I used to do all these things when I lived at my parents house. It used to really irritate me that they constantly nagged me about closing doors and turning off lights. Now I am using all their well worn phrases :rotfl: in fact I even apologised to them a while ago as I now understand how frustrating it is!

Oh I had forgotten the walking about in a t-shirt and going to switch on the heating debate and the house being full of food but there is nothing to eat so lets get a takeaway whine!
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    Glad (sorry) to hear it is not just me! The irony is I used to do all these things when I lived at my parents house. It used to really irritate me that they constantly nagged me about closing doors and turning off lights. Now I am using all their well worn phrases :rotfl: in fact I even apologised to them a while ago as I now understand how frustrating it is!

Oh I had forgotten the walking about in a t-shirt and going to switch on the heating debate and the house being full of food but there is nothing to eat so lets get a takeaway whine!

I was talking to my girls this morning about them complaining there is never any food in the house. I have a large fridge full of food, a larder cupboard full, a couple of shelves in the garage full and 2 freezers full of food but they complain we have no food. What they mean is there is no food that they can just eat now, everything else needs some kind of prep!

I too have turned into my mother :rotfl:
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    I don't have childern, but my elderly parents come and stay with us alot. To make things easier they keep several sets of clothes permanently here which I wash between visits. The other day I finally got to utter the immortal words (with tongue firmly in cheek) "you treat this place like a hotel" to my parents:D
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    OP I feel your pain I really do, I could have written that post myself.
    In fact just before I sat down with a cuppa to read the thread I had said to 12 year old, shut kitchen door, shut living room door, switch off the hall light.
    To 8 year old, If you are cold put some more clothes on he was in a pair of shorty pyjamas moaning he was cold.
    Finally to OH will you shut the B****y front door please as he had gone out to the bins and then decided top start brushing the path all the while the front door is wide open and my expensive heat is flying out to the garden.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • Rummer
    Options
    This is very therapeutic :D

Another that are not strictly MSE linked yet still annoying:

Leaving every cupboard door in the kitchen open, why???
    Dropping dirty laundry on the floor next to the laundry basket, again why???
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am so glad it's not just me!

"Shut the Kitchen Door" is probably the most heard saying in this house at the moment!
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This is very therapeutic :D

Another that are not strictly MSE linked yet still annoying:

Leaving every cupboard door in the kitchen open, why???
    Dropping dirty laundry on the floor next to the laundry basket, again why???

Yep along with opening a pack of biscuits and sitting them next to the biscuit barrel to go soft.
    Putting the bread on top of the bread bin rather than in it.
    Piling the cardboard inners of toilet roll on the window legge in the bathroom when they finish a roll when there is a bin right next to the toilet.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • homesteadchick
    Options
    Oh yes! ..

They are getting quite good here though... due to my constant nagging I think.
    I say things like:

"I'm not trying to help heat KLM!!" (our national airline)

"The birds don't need central heating!"

"SHUT THE DOOR!!!!"

I've threatened to dock their allowence if they didn't switch lights off and that seemed to do the trick pretty good. :D
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    I don't have childern, but my elderly parents come and stay with us alot. To make things easier they keep several sets of clothes permanently here which I wash between visits. The other day I finally got to utter the immortal words (with tongue firmly in cheek) "you treat this place like a hotel" to my parents:D

Again off topic but I finally got to tell my dad "In this house I pay the television licence and so I decide what we'll watch" after years of him saying that to us as kids :rotfl:

My OH puts clean washing in the washing bin, and pj bottoms that he's worn for a couple of hours. Grrrrrr.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income