Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > How do I cancel an O2 contract? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I cancel an O2 contract?
Views: 89,391
# 1
krayzechick
Old 17-06-2007, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How do I cancel an O2 contract?

I want to end my contract with O2 next month. What do I need to do for this? Whats the address to write to??
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
JAYMARSH2005
Old 17-06-2007, 3:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzechick View Post
I want to end my contract with O2 next month. What do I need to do for this? Whats the address to write to??
O2 UK Ltd
PO Box 242
Houghton Regis
DUNSTABLE
LU5 5WA

Put all your details on the letter, account number,phone number etc and I would aslo send it recoded so you have proof they have recieved it. 28 days notice is required so its better to send it recorded as they have a habbit of charging an extra months line rental.
Free Blackberry Phone Unlocking
The Following User Says Thank You to JAYMARSH2005 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
gema21
Old 17-06-2007, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Isn't it easier just to call them? Then it's done there and then
# 4
**woody123**
Old 17-06-2007, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gema21 View Post

But when you call they just give you that address anyway....

Also you might like to keep your old number like i did, i think its called a pak code what they give you.
# 5
JAYMARSH2005
Old 17-06-2007, 3:50 PM

I always go for the letter as I've had it before where they say they have not had a call off me, and basicly I have to prove I've called them, unless you have a way of recording the call to them
# 6
krayzechick
Old 17-06-2007, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gema21 View Post
Have done. They said they have to have written notice and then hung up on me!!
# 7
nuttyrockeress
Old 17-06-2007, 4:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to nuttyrockeress

I called them on Friday and the woman asked me if I wanted her to do my 30day notice whilst I was on the phone :confused:
It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
# 8
gema21
Old 17-06-2007, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They are so not allowed to do that!
And to think I've applied for a job within that department too!

You don't have to write, and take their name and extension number when you cancel. They do it because they think that you won't bother to write, but every company lets you.
# 9
JAYMARSH2005
Old 17-06-2007, 5:50 PM

They are just hoping that writing a letter will be to much trouble, if its not a recorded letter they will use the excuse that they have not recieved anything, its just a cheep shot way of getting an extra months line rental out of you and then hoping that you will think sod it and stay with the network, its all cheap shots with companys these days, and thats the reason we have a website like this !
# 10
gsmmad
Old 18-06-2007, 12:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

the idea is u dont write the letter because well most people cant be arsed

second idea is that u send it too late and your stuff for a little bit longer lol

there is a lot of ideas....list can go on but my idea is its because they are .....
# 11
z4kir
Old 18-06-2007, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I rang 08705 860 860 (alternative number 0113 3069265 ???) a couple of hrs ago n was told I could cancel over the phone... enquired about my pac, but didn't want to risk getting a pac incase it effected my final cashback.
SLC: £13000+

Quidco
: £
131.24 (paid) + £0 (validated) = £131.24
Valued Opinions
: £75 (paid) + £52.30 (received) + £4.50 (pending) = £131.80
StudentPanel: £25
# 12
everton2005
Old 18-10-2010, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i cancelled over the phone last week
# 13
spark_deals
Old 18-10-2010, 10:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by everton2005 View Post
i cancelled over the phone last week
Well done.
But things have moved a lil' bit in those three years. Agree?
Was this post useful to you? Feel free to click the thanks button--¬
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spark_deals For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
macman
Old 18-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4kir View Post
I rang 08705 860 860 (alternative number 0113 3069265 ???) a couple of hrs ago n was told I could cancel over the phone... enquired about my pac, but didn't want to risk getting a pac incase it effected my final cashback.
Requesting a PAC does not cancel your contract-it only does that if you use it. After 30 days it will expire and your contract continues.
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 15
samwhocan
Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

My 24 month contract with O2 finishes at the end of Feb 2011 but I want to cancel it now so I can get a new phone with a different provider. What steps do I need to take? Do I need to request a PAC code?

Thanks,
Sam
# 16
gjchester
Old 08-01-2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwhocan View Post
My 24 month contract with O2 finishes at the end of Feb 2011 but I want to cancel it now so I can get a new phone with a different provider. What steps do I need to take? Do I need to request a PAC code?

Thanks,
Sam
First contracts don't "end" you just pass the minimum term, after that it becomes a 30 day rolling contract.

If you DON'T see out that mimimum term you'll get an early termination fee, usually line rental x months left with a bit off as you don't pay VAT and a possible discount for paying in one go.

And you only need a PAC if you want to move you number.

If you just want to cancel (lose your number) write stating that you are giving 30 days notice that you wish to cancel. You also need to give a months notice to cancel.

Lets say your contract minimum term is up on the 20th of Feb you need to ensure they have that letter before the 20th of Jan. In it you state you want the contract to end the 20th of Feb. Use registered or special delivery so they can't say they never recieved the letter.

Leave it to the 30th of Jan and you'll have to pay extra to take it to the 30th of Feb due to the 30 days notice.

If you want to retain your number you need to ask for your PAC code. If you have not hit the mimimum they may ask for the full termination fee up front as once you use the PAC your account will close. Once you get the PAC you have 30 days to use it. If you don't it becomes invalid, and you revert back to the existing contract you had.

Give the PAC code to your new supplier and they'll arrange the number porting.

Note: You generally CANNOT port to the same network, so you if you have seen a great deal as a new customer through a shop but the same phone as an upgrade is a worse deal then you cannot get that new customer deal and port the number to it. If you want to do that you need to port it to a PAYG sim on another network then port it back.
The Following User Says Thank You to gjchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
simax
Old 08-01-2011, 9:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just a heads up to the previous post. O2 have a knack with early termination fees of not only charging VAT on an early termination, but also charging at the original tariff rate (so if you've moved from say O2 45 to 40 to 35, then you'll be charged at £45 for the months remaining).
I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
# 18
samwhocan
Old 08-01-2011, 7:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
First contracts don't "end" you just pass the minimum term, after that it becomes a 30 day rolling contract.

If you just want to cancel (lose your number) write stating that you are giving 30 days notice that you wish to cancel. You also need to give a months notice to cancel.

Lets say your contract minimum term is up on the 20th of Feb you need to ensure they have that letter before the 20th of Jan. In it you state you want the contract to end the 20th of Feb. Use registered or special delivery so they can't say they never recieved the letter.

Leave it to the 30th of Jan and you'll have to pay extra to take it to the 30th of Feb due to the 30 days notice.
Thanks gjchester. Had no idea I'd have to write a letter! I won't be canceling early now.
# 19
cherub1969
Old 09-01-2011, 7:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

If you want to cancel account just call retentions team if you want to take your number with you ask for pac code only when you use it will your account close, so say your last day would have been for instance 30th of month and you use pac code with new provider on 15th you will still be charged up until the 30th if not used your account will remain open and you will continue to be charged for your line rental.

If you want to cancel account without taking number, all you need to do is give 30 days notice over the phone to advisor no need to write in, and yes you can take advisors name and ext number and where call centre situated, in any of these instances if you cancel early you will be charged the line rental you are currently on (not revert to original) for the remaining months in contract in FULL NO discounts given.

Regards
# 20
Lizpie
Old 25-02-2012, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default O2 help

If you want to canx your o2 contract call: 0844 809 0202