white mobile - anyone using them?

Options
tyllwyd
tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
On another thread, I mentioned that as a family we've got several phones which are locked to Orange - they are too old for it to be economic to get them unlocked, but the Orange PAYG options don't suit us very well.

Someone suggested White Mobile -https://www.whitemobile.com/ - the pricing looks like a much better fit for us. My concern is that they only launched on December 2012, and I can't find many reviews or other information about the on the internet.

I wondered if anyone had tried them, and what you thought? I've ordered a free SIM today anyway, so we'll see how that goes!

Comments

• tyllwyd
    Options
    So nobody at all has tried them? The SIM arrived today, which is pretty quick (ordered Monday, arrived Thursday). The packaging etc all looks professional and nicely designed.

The only problem is that my OH has gone away and taken the spare phone with him, so I can't try it out until he comes back.
  • greenlightluke
    Options
    http://centralops.net/co/

This is all the information the internet has on the website. It gives you creation date and where the website is located. I'm sorry I can't offer you advice on whether you can trust them or not. But they seem pretty legitimate. Would I go with them personally? No.
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    Well, I'm reasonably happy that they are who they say they are - there was some publicity when they launched like this
    http://mobilenetworkcomparison.org.uk/white-mobile-interview/

But I would be happier if I could find a single person or review from someone who used them!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Older handsets can usually be unlocked for free online, or for a fiver at the local market stall.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Older handsets can usually be unlocked for free online, or for a fiver at the local market stall.

Mine's a nokia 6303 and everything I can find online says I will need to buy a code, which would cost as much as buying a replacement on ebay - which I don't really want to do because I like my own one!

To get back to the question, have you used White Mobile?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tyllwyd wrote: »
    To get back to the question, have you used White Mobile?

Have you used White Mobile yet?

You have had the SIM for over a week, how do you rate them?

How much complementary credit did you get?

tyllwyd wrote: »
    Mine's a nokia 6303 and everything I can find online says I will need to buy a code, which would cost as much as buying a replacement on ebay - which I don't really want to do because I like my own one!

You don't need to unlock handsets that are locked to Orange to use your White SIM!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Have you used White Mobile yet?

You have had the SIM for over a week, how do you rate them?

How much complementary credit did you get?

They said they had loaded the SIM with £1 complimentary credit. I haven't used it yet because a family emergency meant that I had to put more PAYG credit on the SIM that I wanted to replace, and I'm waiting to run that down again.

You don't need to unlock handsets that are locked to Orange to use your White SIM!

Yes, I know, that was the whole point of looking at them.
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    I finally put the White mobile SIM into my smartphone this evening.

I was quite impressed - putting in the SIM and activating it with a phonecall worked perfectly. I couldn't get it to use data but I went to the White mobile website and there was a tweakker page so I followed the instructions there, it sent info to my phone to configure it, I rebooted the phone and it worked.

I do like their website - it is clean and minimal, and all the links work. So far, so good.
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    Hmm - not so impressed this morning. Tried to do an online top up, which failed, and when I rang customer services (8.50am on a Monday morning) it cut off without being answered.
  • tyllwyd
    Options
    OK, it's going better now - I managed to register an online account and top up (confusingly you had to top up as part of the registration process), and that has all worked OK. They texted a 10% extra top up offer as well this morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure