PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to avoid being scammed by fraudulent solicitors

mi5tery
mi5tery Posts: 90 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 September 2013 at 11:13AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

Below is a list of notes I've made for myself to hopefully minimise the risk of being caught out again by dodgy solicitors. In my particular case, the vendors solicitor was in fact a fraud who had copied the details of a ligitimate solicitor (who didn't have a website of their own), setup their own website (by plaigarising another) and used email (which there was no reference of on the SRA website) as the only way to successfully communicate with my conveyancing solicitor, and proceeded to steal the entire purchase price of the flat I thought I was buying (funds I might add I had borrowed from family and friends)!

I hope my tips help others. I am happy to add to it (by request/if I think of additional things).

DISCLAIMER: I take no liability if having followed my advice you still fall victim to fraud (or some other unfortunate mishap - including but not limited to a purchase falling through), these steps will hopefully minimise your risk, but they are unfortunately not perfect or 100% complete. Please be super cautious. By following any tips/advice in this thread you agree to not hold me responsible for any and all actions which may or may not occur/have occured as a result. See a professional legal adviser before following any of the tips/advice outlined in this thread - so you have no reason in future to sue me/anyone in this thread if you feel any of the tips/advice that have been given here have negatively affected you in some manner!

1.Your solicitor:
Ideally use a conveyancing solicitor (CS) who has been personally recommended to you from people you trust.
But even then, before appointing:
  1. Ideally go with a local CS who you can drop by and visit if the need arises (it's easier to be ignored on the phone than it is in person)! You can find local conveyancing solicitors via the law society website (search by postcode via the 'find a solicitor' page: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor - choose conveyancing residential)
  2. You've heard this before: Buying a house is a huge thing, don't skimp - prioritise recommendations over price. Don't necessarily go with the cheapest, you have been warned!
  3. Advice from the SRA is to "Find a solicitor who's a member of the Conveyancing Quality Scheme" - I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd add it anyway (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039rwck).
  4. Ensure the CS is SRA regulated (get their SRA number)
  5. Check the solicitors record via the SRA website ('Consumers', 'Check a solicitor's record') http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check.page
  6. Read through any disciplinary findings in full
  7. If the solicitor is 'trading as' something other then their official name, ask yourself why? Are they possibly trying to hide from negative reviews? This is just a thought but think about it.
  8. Google the CS (including official name) for reviews.
  9. Find out how the CS will communicate with you and if there will be any limited hours (our CS didn't take calls until after 11am and after 5pm their telephone system refused to accept new calls).
2.After appointing:
  1. Insist CS gets the client bank account details which money will be paid into for the VS early on and insist they do a lawyerchecker check on it (£10 + VAT).
  2. If VS sends you a 'search pack' ensure CS completely ignores any land registry titles contained within.
  3. Do not exchange contracts unless the property is empty (if you want vacant possession).
  4. This is especially important: if you have any conversation with your CS over the phone, summarise the conversation in an email so there is a record of it (ask your CS to correct anything which is inaccurate, if they don't then they are essentially confirming it). My CS was awful, she only ever communicated by telephone and never replied by email so I actually ended up installing an app on my phone to automatically record all calls, this helped me summarise any long/detailed phone calls.
3.In terms of the vendors solicitor (VS):
  1. Insist the estate agent gives VS details to you as well as to your CS.
  2. Check the VS record via the SRA website like you did for yours.
  3. Confirm the contact details given match that on the SRA website (NOTE: just because it appears doesn't unfortunately guarantee much IMHO, but they should at least appear). If an email address is not listed (this happened to us) do at least the following:
  4. If the VS email address is a free one (e.g. yahoo, hotmail, outlook, gmail etc) then I would suggest extreme caution and raise this with your CS. *alarm*
  5. Ensure your CS speaks to the VS when your CS calls them (not via a call back - with what we've experienced we'd certainly be doing our own investigating on the VS ourselves - on the quiet).
  6. If possible, go visit the VS (mystery shopper style).
  7. Visit the VS's website (it will be www. the bit after the @ symbol of their email address), just because it may look legit doesn't mean it is, also, just because it's under construction doesn't mean it isn't legit. Look at the website all the same - you're doing this to see if anything doesn't fit right.
  8. Copy elements of text from the VS's website and paste it into Google to see if it's been plagiarised from some other website (this was apparent in our case with the VS)
  9. Do a whois search on the domain name to see when the website was setup ( http://www.nominet.org.uk/uk-domain-names/about-domain-names/domain-lookup-whois/whois-tool - look at registered on date). If it was setup recently maybe need to investigate this firm more (inform your CS). Also check the registrants address, this doesn't have to match the firms address however, if it doesn't again more investigating is required (inform your CS).
  10. Put the 'official' (and trading if different) VS name into the SRA search box and check the scam warning. (If a result appears, however old, you need to inform your CS immediately and be on super high alert).
  11. Google the VS address and contact numbers if another company name comes up... *alarm*
  12. If anything doesn't feel right at all I'd also suggest calling neighbours of the VS and confirming the VS does still exist and finding out how long they've been there (call a few). Maybe even visit!
  13. This deserves a second mention: have your CS do a http://www.lawyerchecker.co.uk check on the VS's bank account (where they want your funds transferred into. This check will tell you if the bank account in question has been used for conveyancing purposes in the past and when. If it comes back as 'no history of conveyancing transactions in this account' then *alarm* and DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CS TO TRANSFER YOUR FUNDS WITHOUT BEING 100% CERTAIN THIS IS A LEGIT SOLICITOR.
4.Misc
  1. If completion fails due to problems on the vendors side (for whatever reason), DO NOT allow your CS to transfer your funds and place a hold on it (the most likely advice they will give to avoid you also being in breach of contract) - instead instruct your CS to inform the VS (also in writing) that you are 'ready, willing and able' to complete, however will not do so until all terms stated in the contract (of exchange) are met by the vendor (this should be sufficient enough to mitigate your risk of being in breach of contract - speak to your CS).
  2. Avoid any and all contact with the vendor directly (that's not face-to-face with EA present) - it should always be via your CS or EA. In other words do not allow the vendor to be given your contact numbers/email. [updated]
  3. Never communicate or interact with anyone other than your CS or Estate Agent (EA). Never interact with any third parties claiming to be representing the vendor.

I will also say that fraudsters use increasingly complex methods to go about stealing from the likes of you and me, so above all be super cautious. Okay that's all for now. Please feel free to comment and also to add anything I may have missed in the comments below. I will try and keep this top post updated (if I think a point deserves adding).

Thanks,

mi5tery

Comments

• rrtt
    rrtt Posts: 227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Excellent post Mi5tery, everyone, without exception, buying a house should read this.

I particularly like 3. 8 and 9 - though all of it's important.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Great post.

Not sure how to get it to a wider audience though.

But we can all certainly link to it whenever we reply to those frequent requests on hereon "how can I find a good solicitor".

One suggestion: In your opening paragraph you link to your own harrowing thread. But not everyone will click this, and hence understand the importance of what follows.

Could you add in a 1 or 2 sentence explanation of how you got ripped off, so first-time readers have context?
  • G_M wrote: »
    Great post.

Not sure how to get it to a wider audience though.

But we can all certainly link to it whenever we reply to those frequent requests on hereon "how can I find a good solicitor".

One suggestion: In your opening paragraph you link to your own harrowing thread. But not everyone will click this, and hence understand the importance of what follows.

Could you add in a 1 or 2 sentence explanation of how you got ripped off, so first-time readers have context?

Thanks G_M,

Linking back to this thread would definitely be helpful - I'm determined to get a silver lining out of my horrendous experience by helping to prevent this happening to anyone else.

I've updated the intro as per your suggestion.

Thanks,

mi5tery
  • Thank you for taking the trouble to write such detailed advice which is not easily obtainable elsewhere, and addresses an area where many people will not even be aware there is a problem.

MSE threads do show up on google searches, and you are already in page 3 on a google search for fraudulent solicitors. Perhaps adding in some links with some articles in the press about fraudulent solicitors maybe useful for readers to click through to some further horror stories. (Haven't done so in case you would prefer such stories not to be linked to your thread)
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,841 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can this be a sticky please?
  • Thank you for taking the trouble to write such detailed advice which is not easily obtainable elsewhere, and addresses an area where many people will not even be aware there is a problem.

MSE threads do show up on google searches, and you are already in page 3 on a google search for fraudulent solicitors. Perhaps adding in some links with some articles in the press about fraudulent solicitors maybe useful for readers to click through to some further horror stories. (Haven't done so in case you would prefer such stories not to be linked to your thread)
    Thanks Better Days,

I think mentioning and linking to other horror stories is a good idea - please do go ahead and do this. I'll let you post the links you've come across =)

mi5tery
  • The main point here is that OP's solicitor should have checked the details of the seller's solicitor and not doing so would be negligent.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Thanks mi5tery, read your main post regularly and hope you can now move on to the house of your dreams.
  • The main point here is that OP's solicitor should have checked the details of the seller's solicitor and not doing so would be negligent.

Hi Richard,

You are right, but it's not as simple as that. In our case the (fraudulent) VS had actually copied ALL the details, including address, telephone number etc of a legitimate solicitors (may have well been someone on the inside - but that's for the police and I don't want to speculate). The one thing that the VS had was an email address for which the VS had registered a domain name which made it look correct - this email address wasn't on the SRA website. One could be forgiven in thinking that it wasn't listed because the firm only recently registered the domain.

Ultimately, in my case the CS settled a case which I had regarding negligence and breach of trust (see my other thread for details). But my case had far greater examples of negligence - if it had just been down to the one email address, I'm not sure a settlement would even be in the picture.

The SRA have a lot to answer for - I'm not sure I want to rant about them here right now, but they more or less washed their hands and gave zero support to me (and others in similar cases). Worse, they don't seem to have done anything to try and catch the perpetrators who are bringing their profession into disrepute. I think the SRA deserve a thread of their own!

mi5tery
  • Propertyfan
    Propertyfan Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2013 at 12:51PM
    Thanks for the information, mi5tery. I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I hope you have success prosecuting the fraudulent vendor's solicitor.

My solicitor emailed me her company's full bank details - account number and sort code - early on in the conveyancing. I don't know if this is standard procedure but I recommend all vendors/buyers get these bank details so you know exactly where your fees are going. You can contact the bank if you have major concerns about your solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure