BBQs - Gas or charcoal?

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
We're midway through the summer now and hopefully have a bit more sun to look forward to before it officially ends.

So we thought we'd run a fun poll on that age old debate - Gas vs Charcoal.

Let's keep it polite and friendly though. We all know how "heated" this debate can get - pardon the pun!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Andrea :)

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

BBQs: Gas or charcoal? 115 votes

Gas
25%
Former_MSE_Andreaicbillnbluemorphtanithkkgree1newleafytfcmadsarah1972helen6pinkmamiTighterThanTwoCoatsOfPainlocky123SplanKfizzkingjonsueAngie_Bgas4youkizkizDTDfanBoy 29 votes
Charcoal
74%
sanchorikbarey_uppoppy3not-so-civilloracan1cookie_monstergavfishshammyjackBrightsparkJohn_Pierpointroger_cAndy_Ljamie07971Moneysava_wannaBMarty999whereamiEbanyjuliamarshnickyhutch 86 votes

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Charcoal
    Light wood Charcoal taste better, IMO.

If it is gas, what difference it made between grill at your oven and BBQ?

Also I find disposal of gas cylinder is a bit of trouble.
  • tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Both. Charcoal has its own taste. Gas is so convenient, quick and easy that it will allow you to BBQ at the drop of the hat with minimal hassle.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2013 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Gas
    I prefer gas, providing you have a hood and have it setup correctly with lava rocks, flavouriser bars or ceramic bricks, you're going to get just as much flavour into your meat as you would with a charcoal BBQ :beer:

There's limited mess and you can get everything up to a couple of hundred degrees in a few minutes ;)

It's also a lot cheaper to run in the long run.

If I want something heavily smoked I just use some wood chips placed in the bottom, often soaked in Rum or Bourbon :)

I still have my old Weber kettle which occasionally gets used if I'm cooking for really large numbers, but overall gas is easier, cheaper, cleaner, and much more controllable than charcoal. If done properly it gives you much more control of the flavour profile than what is possible with charcoal :j

The bit I most miss about using charcoal is my patented lighting method, plastic bottle of petrol + model rocket igniter :D which is sadly now only used for lighting bonfires, the upside is that your average bonfire will tolerate much larger amounts of petrol compared to your average BBQ ;)
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gas
    Another vote for gas but with smoked wood chips to get the Charcoal BBQ Effect!
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • Persiflage
    Options
    Charcoal
    Boo to gas; half the fun of barbequeing is in the setup, and the skill it takes to get cooking over charcoal just right... Besides, if I had a gas barbeque up to temperature in a couple of minutes, there's a possibility that I might still be sober when I start to cook, which is entirely missing the point ;)
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Charcoal
    I'd no more have a fake gas barbecue than I would an electric fire with plastic wood-look decoration bits. Charcoal all the way.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Gas
    Haha!

Welcome to the forum Persiflage, great first post :)

Anyone else fancy adding to the great debate? The poll's neck and neck at the moment.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Options
    I have never barbequed in my life but feel much the same as Persi, if no effort or skill goes into the prep or cooking what is the point?

Besides, it is likely the one time of the decade that a man can cook and say to the world "I made fire!!" and wear a ridiculous apron.
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    I don't have either, but a charcoal is more fun setting it up, keeping it going etc

SAFETY NOTICE

There has been a number of deaths with regard to camping & BBQ's
    Never ever take one into a confined space ie tent, caravan, they give off as much CO as a faulty gas appliance & they can, have & will kill you
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • rum1
    rum1 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    It has to be charcoal, gas just doesn't give the same flavors to the food, OK charcoal is a bit of a pain to get going compared to gas but i think its worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure