PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Weekly Flylady Thread w/c 29 July 2013

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,831 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 August 2013 at 7:04PM in Old style MoneySaving
[FONT=&quot]
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

[/FONT]Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thanks to Natty for last week's thread

NOTICE TO REGULARS, NEWBIES AND RETURNERS - I AM HERE ON 'SUPPLY' ;)

Before you all panic - I am only booked to cover holidays; I don't usually run the thread but I WILL employ my 'schoolteacher' expression if you are naughty!

I am going to try to go with the New Style - we'll see how it goes! It's based on how much time and motivation you have. The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Manic Monday

Flinging and Flying in the family room - living room

15 minutes?

A tidy room LOOKS like a clean room so

• empty waste bins
  • open window to let in fresh air
  • remove anything that belongs elsewhere to be rehomed
  • plump cushions
  • wipe over coaster/sticky, icky tables
  • chuck out old newspapers etc - recycle!
  • quick run round with Henry or Hetty or whatever's on suction duty
30 minutes? as above plus-
  • wipe switches, sockets and sticky door marks
  • vacuum properly - move that furniture if you safely can
  • lift sofa and chair cushions and vacuum under them
1hour? as above plus -
  • as above plus complete dusting - don't forget the skirting boards!
  • Clean the windows
EXTRAS
  • It's almost August so check your diary and see what birthday (etc) cards you might need for the month. Add them, and stamps if you need them, to your shopping list
EXTRA SPECIAL
  • Sort out cards for November and December - because trying to find birthday cards (etc) when the shops are chock full of Christmas cards is NOT easy! Add them to your list. Put them in a MEMORABLE place - because we don't want them lost when you need them!
And finally - don't forget your frog list - even if you only nibble on a frog make a start!

Everything's Tuesday

Flinging and Flying in the heart of the home - Kitchen Klean-up

15 minutes?

A tidy room LOOKS like a clean room so

• empty the bin
  • wipe over the worktops
  • quick run round with Henry or Hetty or whatever's on suction duty; or sweep and or/mop as appropriate
  • wipe switches, sockets and sticky door marks
  • wipe all the cupboard doors and drawers - don't forget the handles
  • wipe the microwave outside - put half a lemon, or some lemon juice in water inside, let it run for two minutes then leave the steam to soften gunk, wipe it out
1hour? as above plus -
  • make sure every horizontal surface has had a wipe
  • wipe the washer door seal
  • make sure yout TD filter is lint-free
  • Clean the windows
EXTRAS
  • Empty out ONE cupboard or drawer, wipe it out and put back only what is STILL useful once it's dry
EXTRA SPECIAL
  • Start that CHRISTMAS shopping - list all the non-perishables you want to buy (eg cranberry jelly; cocktail cherries for the snowballs - I am channelling the 70s - check today's music!) and EITHER buy one item a week/fortnight OR have the list to hand ready for if you see a bargain!
OR
  • Plan for a day off sometime during the school hols or one weekend - so; check your meal plan and find ONE dish you can double up on - so that you can make two and freeze one! Check you have enough ingredients - this NEED NOT be done today - make it fit with your meal plan! This will be the meal you DON'T cook on your day off!

And finally - don't forget your frog list - EAT A WHOLE FROG today!

*crack*

enjoy the music;)

Wednesday Week

Beautiful bathing will be yours - bathrooms and cloakrooms

15 minutes?

• flush the loo and scrub it
  • wipe the outside of the loo with a cloth
  • clean the bath
  • hot water and detergent and a wipe (not with the toilet cloth,please!) to shift shower screen soap scum
  • OR run the curtain through the hottest wash it can stand and peg it on the line for a blow
  • clean the loo roll holder - remember people might have 'less than clean' hands when they're wrestling with the paper...:o
1hour? as above plus -
  • wipe the shower rail; wash the shower curtain rings
  • wipe or dust all high horizontal surfaces - door tops and screens
  • clean the basin
  • Clean the windows
  • Mop the floor
EXTRAS
  • chrome shower rails can be polished when they're off
  • Put out fluffy towels
EXTRA SPECIAL
  • If you leave creams, potions and lotions open to the air they WILL deteriorate much more quickly. Make sure all tops are screwed on after every use. Check the use withins - and chuck out those dust-gathering body scrubs etc that you don't use!
  • Add anything that's running out to the shopping list - don't forget the loo roll!

If your bin's been emptied why not fling the water from the mop bucket in the bin and 'agitate' it to loosen dirt, leave it upside - down to dry - a fragrant bin puts those bluebottles - and their maggotty 'offspring' off!

Thursday's Child

Valet the vestibule and make an entrance - hall, stairs, landing and any other entrance features -

15 minutes?

• get a cloth or a duster and wipe or wash the woodwork
  • sweep and mop hard floors
  • vacuum carpet
  • get a cloth, and some hot water and wash down the door
  • shift boots and shoes
  • clean any glass
1hour? as above plus -
  • get the mats outside, think of your mother in law and wack them against a wall to dislodge the dirt
  • wipe or dust all high horizontal surfaces - door tops and screens
  • clean the light fittings
  • find a long duster and clean the radiators
Extras - Winter prep!

if you haven't booked your central heating service, aga service or the chimney sweep DO IT NOW

Find all the gloves, hats and scarves. Sort, throw and wash as appropriate - outgrown ones can go to shoebos collections but do please wash them first

Extra special

If you're a boot wearer in winter get the heels and soles checked now - and take them to be repaired/heeled or soled if necessary. If not, give them a polish and make sure they're ready for when the winter weather hits!

Friday on my Mind < this is one of my favourites!

Free to choose from - your bedroom/kids bedroom or another room that need attention - conservatory, dining room - whatever needs doing!

Got 15 minutes?
  • clear the floor
  • vacuum, sweep or mop
  • clear one surface - sideboard, occasional table, whatever
  • water any wilting plants
Got 30 minutes?

• as above plus dust all surfaces - vertical AND horizontal
  • straighten/dust/vacuum blinds or curtains
Full hour?

• clean windows
  • remove anything that shouldn't be in this room
  • clean out one drawer or shelf
Little extras

A stitch in time saves 9 so attack your mending pile.
Sew on any name labels for September - GLUE them into shoes - copydex is brilliant for this!

Check PE kit made it into the WM - and if not despatch it's owners to find it.
Put plimsolls/pumps/daps on the shopping list...they will start to sell out soon :eek:
Do little people need optician/dental check ups? Get on that phone!

if you have no little people wash your throws/picnic blankets and/or cushio covers! dries in the sunshine they make a room smell fresh (because I, for one, don't like 'manufactured' fresh air smells!)

SOMEONE needs to do someone's accounts and stop procrastinating. Who could it be?:cool:

Remember to keep eating froggies...yum yum

DRIVE IN SATURDAY

I have enjoyed my week here on 'supply'.

Weekend list

IF YOU HAVE TIME

Weekends are for family.
Get out in the sunshine; picnic or just have some well deserved R&R and enjoy the summer!

If you do want to fly please - no solo flights!

Have a HALF HOUR BINGE. For half an hour see if you can get everyone to do a chore. If you're stuck for ideas...

Ironing
Weeding
collect and empty all the bins
put the recycling out
put your laundry away
wash pots
dry pots
prep some food
re-home all stuff in the wrong place
get the little ones to help write a shopping list - (writing for a purpose!)

Sunday Morning

Sit down with a cuppa and look around your nice, clean, tidy home.
Don't stress about anything you have not done, but focus on what you HAVE achieved. Tomorrow is another day - and another thread.

Thank you all for the positive comments re my lists! Hope you all have a lovely, relaxing, family day. Because, when it comes down to it, that's why we FLY!

Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• alibo100
    alibo100 Posts: 98 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can I ask what the difference is between this weekly thread and the flylady website? Been looking at the American flylady when I came across this. Thanks!
    Second Purse Challenge
    1st purse £70 per week, 2nd purse £0/£50, 3rd Purse £177/100 banked £37 (14) £206('13)
    :eek:Debt Total[STRIKE]£11779[/STRIKE] £3000 :o Plus [STRIKE]£3200[/STRIKE] £2400 to family
    :TGoal 2 years to pay off - June [STRIKE]2015[/STRIKE] 2016 :T
    Paid off so far - Sept 13 £1131 Nov 14 £2423 Sept15 paid myCC's!!
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the thread Valli, glad its the LR tomorrow.

This thread is a friendly UK version of the US one. Everyone is welcome.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • deus
    deus Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the thread Valli

I'm in this week. Not got much done today - very lazy day :o
    Have done some computer-based stuff that needed doing though so at least that's something. Might just go and do a few bits and pieces now before bed.
  • scottish_lassy
    Options
    I'm in again this week. Will just do what I can early morning before looking after DGS for the day - that will use up all my energy!
    :rotfl:
  • bonnie_bumpkins
    bonnie_bumpkins Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    Evening campers

I've just skim-read the last 2 weeks :o

I'm in as much as I can be... working loads - can't wait for the £££ - and sooo tired when I get home at 9.30 all sweaty and crabby... yuk

Thanks dusty & natty... and valli for this week :A
    *If you have nothing nice to say... say nothing*
    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King Jr
  • neveah
    neveah Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi all im in if you will have me x
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in (for tomorrow!) - thanks Valli :A

Going to use a bit of the list and add a lot of my own! Planning on an early start tomorrow as I have leave at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday so need to get an earlyish night tonight (well, it makes sense to me!!!)

LW - gentle, virtual hugs x

Back in a bit when I've sorted a list ..............
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My list that has to be done tomorrow!!!

Manic Monday

Front room, kitchen and bathroom

open window to let in fresh air
    remove anything that belongs elsewhere to be rehomed
    chuck out old newspapers etc - recycle!
    quick run round with Henry or Hetty or whatever's on suction duty
    clean toilet, sink and bath
    washing
    shopping
    collect Euros
    bank
    petrol
    car checks
    phone Dad
    pack
    clean ratties
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great list, Valli!

I'm working tomorrow, and straight after have nails / eyebrows appointment, heaven knows what time I'll get home. I have started packing, though. Cases nearly full but no clothes in yet ;)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • decogecko
    decogecko Posts: 763 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in - thanks for the lists this week Valli hope Dusty has a lovely week off.

Have a great week all

Deco x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family