Juice Fasting?

Options

Comments

• fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mr_helpful wrote: »
    Dont forget that fruit sugars are Fructose and juicing can mean you are concentrating this sugar. fructose doesnt trigger insulin and leptin responses in the same way that glucose does so you still feel hungry and your body doesn register it has just has x number of calories, Fructose also is metabolised differently and tends to end up as fat. however agree with rest of your post

Thanks

I'm also going to juice / blend veg and other nutrients, at some point, although i'm going to start with the mean green juice recipe :-

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1-2
    Serving Size: 16oz. (500 mls)

Ingredients
    • 1 cucumber
    • 4 celery stalks
    • 2 apples
    • 6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
    • 1/2 lemon
    • 1 tbsp ginger
    Directions
    1. Wash all produce well
    2. Peel the lemon, optional
    3. Juice
    4. Pour over ice
    5. Enjoy!
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    I have been a forum lurker for some time, but feel the need to comment on this.

There is a HUGE surge of so called juicung diets with every man and his dog being sucked in by the biggets ponzi scheme to date with a well know brand that I wont even mention.

People look for quick and easy ways (generally expensive) to lose weight for holiday.

7lbs in 7 days - trust me if you lived on celery you would get the same outcome.

However, there is no simple or easy solution to keeping trim and healthy.

I have trained for over 10 years, currently around 11% body fat.

My training regime is morning cardio, followed by hypertrophy in the evenings. That is the easy part, the hard part is the diet.

A diet of simple sugars and juice is a receipe for problems.

My diet consists of lean meats fish / veg/ nuts / and carbs

TO run effecitlvey your body needs fats, it needs protein, it needs carbs. The important thing is the ration that they are ingested.

So please please please, ignore these fad diets.

As I was told 10 years ago

"eat clean, train dirty"
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    "eat clean, train dirty"

I LOVE THIS.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think there is a one way suits all diet.

With so much choice available, we have to find the way that works for us personally.

I follow these fruitarians / raw foodists / juicers on facebook and youtube, I don't do what they do but it seems to work for them:

https://www.facebook.com/40andFitOnFruit?hc_location=stream
    https://www.facebook.com/GoFRUITYourselves
    https://www.facebook.com/FullyRawKristina
    https://www.facebook.com/FatSickandNearlyDead
    https://www.facebook.com/rawgreengoddess?hc_location=stream
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    I don't think there is a one way suits all diet.

Yes there is - but it's not very 'sexy', doesn't sell any books or DVDs (or devices, or ready meals) and is difficult to stick to if you can't wean yourself off the convenience and sugary stuff on the shelves of the supermarket for more than a few weeks at a time.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Yes there is - but it's not very 'sexy', doesn't sell any books or DVDs (or devices, or ready meals) and is difficult to stick to if you can't wean yourself off the convenience and sugary stuff on the shelves of the supermarket for more than a few weeks at a time.

Sorry, but there isn't. Because not all bodies function correctly.

For example. Until a month ago I would have laughed if I thought anyone would tell me even with all my medical problems I'd see a gastroenterologist. And I did laugh when he told me I'd need to eat LESS good fibre for a couple of moths while phasing some investigation and also a few periods where I eat stuff like white bread and pasta.

All sorts of bodies have different issues with foods...allergies to foods, problems like coeliac, or problems like thyroid, and other people have problems with exercise through disability, severe ill health.

Of course, we KNOW the ills like junk food are a terrible blight in the western world, and I certainly agree, for anyone using those products getting rid of them would probably be a great step forward in their health and well being.
  • fredandwilma
    Options

So please please please, ignore these fad diets.

It just depends which way you look at it?

Like i've already said, i'm not looking at this expressly to diet. I'm looking to complete the change to a more healthy food lifestyle?

Of course, we KNOW the ills like junk food are a terrible blight in the western world, and I certainly agree, for anyone using those products getting rid of them would probably be a great step forward in their health and well being.

Sums it up succinctly.

Do we really know what our food contains?

I'm now keen and almost ready to start my juicing fast. I'm just using up the remainder of my fresh foodstuffs, and i've almost decided which blender to purchase. Thanks to those who contributed ideas, as i've never owned a juicer, blender, blah blah :rotfl:

I've also chosen some cheap bathroom scales as i don't have any of those either, and i've no idea what i currently weigh. I think it will be interesting to record my start weight and monitor my weight at the same time? The last time i was weighed, i wasn't technically overweight, although i know it would benefit me to lose a small amount of weight. But i'm not going to lose any sleep over weight loss, or more specifically, body image, only from the health aspect. :D

My target is to start my fast in the next week, (because i want to look at my items before purchase,) and to keep a diary on here, although i've no set targets, i'm going be sensible and take it from day to day. It seems a good time to fast during this hot spell of weather?

Carpe diem
  • chatterup
    chatterup Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy to just have juice. I think it's better to chew the vegatables and fruits rather than juicing it. You might get hungry and it'll be hard to stick with just having juice. But good luck on your diet!
  • fredandwilma
    edited 18 July 2013 at 11:34AM
    Options
    chatterup wrote: »
    I don't think it's healthy to just have juice. I think it's better to chew the vegatables and fruits rather than juicing it. You might get hungry and it'll be hard to stick with just having juice. But good luck on your diet!

Thanks chatterup.

There's definitely some degree of willpower required, even with the changes i've already made with regard to healthy eating!

I'm going to buy a blender, but whether i blend, juice or chew the fruit and veg, purely the mean green juice fast, is only going to be for a comparatively small length of time, and i still view flexibility and sensibility as the key to how i achieve this?

With the blender costing £19.99 and the bathroom scales costing £3.96, this is going to be a total spend of £23.95, so it's not going to cost me a huge amount of money to indulge in a "fad."

I'm looking at this as a long term change, eventually only supplementing with "juices."

Incidentally, doesn't the lemon juice stop the process of oxidation?

Carpe diem
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck fredandwilma, look forward to reading your diary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure