Funny smell in washing machine

Options
Just recently, whenever I use my washing machine, the clothes come out smelling really strong, and not a nice smell. It's more noticable on jeans, and the more I seem to wash the stronger it seems to be getting. It's not my detergent or softener, I've used the same ones for ages and never had this before. Washer is about 2 years old. Any ideas? :confused:
Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.

Comments

• littlejaffa
    littlejaffa Posts: 2,251 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This might sound silly but have you washed your washing machine?
    taken out the drawers & had a good clean inside as far as you can reach (everything switched of first!) as well as the drawers thenselves and the outlet pipes.

Then run the whole thing on a boil wash empty.

your apparently meant to do it every month or so depending on your wash loads, but i don't know anyone who's that keen! might make a difference
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a dead animal behind the drum???:eek:
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
  • mouthscradle
    mouthscradle Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    Jo6673 wrote: »
    Is there a dead animal behind the drum???:eek:

Lol, I certainly hope not. It's not that kind of smell :p it's just like really overpowering chemicals-going-a-bit-funny kind of smell, which seems to get worse actually as the clothes dry.

Have you ever dried jeans over a radiator cos you've needed to wear them in a hurry, only to find that doing so has made them smell yukky? That is what it's like but it's on everything! Really annoying.

Thanks littlejaffa, I've washed out the drawers etc but not the pipes, I was wondering whether you can buy anything to put inside to clean it all out, or maybe i'll put some Stardrops or something in the drawer and run it on empty? :confused:
  • Jo6673
    Options
    Your making me go wash mine now
    In the magazine Sept 08
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mouthscradle,

The replies on these threads might help:

Descaling Washing Machine

Washing machine making clothes smell musty - what can I do?

Also have a look at this site www.washerhelp.co.uk

Pink
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there mouthscradle
    I had the same problem until last week..mine was a chemical smell too...no matter how much comfort i used stuff was still coming out smelling awfull,,,
    I poured some vinegar into the compartments of the drawer, put it on a boil wash empty, and then ran it through a boilwash again-to get rid of the smell of vinegar(i put my cleaning cloths in as i hated running it empty-how mean LOL)...
    And so far it is back to behaving its self..hope it works for you too...jill
    Me again..just been and taken the washing out, just to make sure i wasnt cracking up..and it smells lovely again ...phew
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mouthscradle
    mouthscradle Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much, just been having a read of those topics and that website, I don't have any soda crystals or white vinegar, reckon malt would be ok? :p

And I know you can use Stardrops to hand wash clothes so I know it won't do any harm, but would there be much use in me trying it in the drawer for a boil wash, not sure if it would have the same effect as vinegar or crystals but it's about all I've got at the moment that's suitable.
  • Jo6673
    Options
    Ive bleached and bicarbed mine now- its frothing like a good 'un- theres also a pool of frothy bleach on the kitchen floor- so taking the opportunity to clean the floor with it!!
    Oh joy, Saturday night, birthday weekend, DS away with father and I'm cleaning the floor and washing machine
    Geee thanks mouthscradle!- my fault for mentioning the dead animal bit though
    In the magazine Sept 08
  • littlejaffa
    littlejaffa Posts: 2,251 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jo6673 wrote: »
    Oh joy, Saturday night, birthday weekend, DS away with father and I'm cleaning the floor and washing machine Geee thanks mouthscradle!- my fault for mentioning the dead animal bit though

It's good to know us girls still know how to have fun!
    And free to! Now when did everyone last clean the 'inside' of their vacum cleaner (tube to)?
    Maybe we should pencil that in for next saturday..don't want to have to much fun in one night :rotfl:
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • Jo6673
    Options
    dont set me off again!!
    In the magazine Sept 08
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories