PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing machine making clothes smell musty - what can I do?

Options
Myself and my housemate have an old washing machine. The last couple of washes it has made the clothes smell musty. I've taken the drawer out and scrubbed it. We've tried to put the machine on a boil wash but it doesn't seem to want to work, we normally wash at 40 deg and it works at that temp. Is there anything else I can do? I will try and scrub the seal out at the front in a minute. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

• oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Options
    Are you leaving the clothes in for any time when they have finished, or are you taking them out straight away? Is the pump working properly? Could that cause old water to be reused in the machine?

Have you changed the washing powder / conditioner that you use?

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Anyone else?
  • Three_Dancing_Dragons
    Options
    Lakeland do cleaning tablets you could try.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!20348
    If you think reality makes sense, you're just not paying attention!
  • full-time-mum
    full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    My friendly washing machine repair man told me not to bother with comercial tablets. He said a cup full of soda crystals thrown into the drum of washing machine or onto floor of dishwasher would do the trick.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • stuart264
    stuart264 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Run the machine without laundry but with half a cup of bleach put in the drum...should clean out any nasty bits in the sump without you needing to boil wash.
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stuart264 wrote: »
    Run the machine without laundry but with half a cup of bleach put in the drum...should clean out any nasty bits in the sump without you needing to boil wash.

DONT PUT BLEACH IN YOUR MACHINE!!!!
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    Boil wash with half a cup of washing powder, or white vinegar, or soda crystals. I NORMALY USE SOAP POWDER. Sorry caps.
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
  • badgermonkey
    Options
    ianian99 wrote: »
    DONT PUT BLEACH IN YOUR MACHINE!!!!

Can I ask why? I put a bit of bleach in with my white loads (towels, etc).
  • Spendi
    Spendi Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    I would use a full cup of Soda Crystals run it empty on a boil wash and that will clean the whole machine including the waste pipes.

If that doesnt shift the smell nothing will !
    *Spendi*

Ebay Total since Feb ~ £466.90

Quidco Earnings £288
    Pigsback Vouchers £40 330 piggy points
    Boots 1796 Points

Debt Free Date [STRIKE]March 2014[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]July 2009[/STRIKE] April 2009
  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this happen before - turns out we were stuffing too much in the washing machine! Try washing your clothes in smaller batches (with half the powder, naturally ;))
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can I ask why? I put a bit of bleach in with my white loads (towels, etc).

it will perish the rubber pipes, seals etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport