Funny smell in washing machine

Options
2»

Comments

• mouthscradle
    mouthscradle Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    I went for the Stardrops in the end, took the drawer out again and washed it all down with it, made sure the water was running through clear and fast from the softener compartment as lately I'd noticed that even after a wash it was still full of water when I opened the drawer. Then plugged it all back in, put a load of Stardrops in the drawer and did a 95 wash with the towels in. Never seen so many bubbles! Had to do a second rinse cycle to get all the froth out of the towels. Smells gorgeous now though, will have to try it on some clothes at 40 tomorrow :T

I've been looking for my filter drawer to clear that out, but my machine doesn't seem to have one :confused: can't find it anywhere. It's a Hotpoint.
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there
    You should be fine with malt vinegar.. i used it....should have heard my hubby when he saw me sticking his SARSONS in there LOL....
    I have been known to re-use pickled onion vinegar to clean with..:-)..well needs musts and all that..still smells better than bleach and a lot of other cleaning stuff..hehe
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • fkelanne
    fkelanne Posts: 706 Forumite
    Options
    you can buy a washing machine cleaner i use it every month or two. its called service it and i get it from asda, its in the washing powder.
    savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend. :rotfl:
    WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
    Jan -£80
    Feb -
    March-
  • annchester1
    Options
    Tip I was given, from machine installer, was to always soak up the water that collects in the bottom of the door seal (rots the rubber) and always leave the door open, when not in use, to stop the musty smell. I don't do a monthly boil cycle but do do it now and again.
  • Tiger_greeneyes
    Tiger_greeneyes Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a similar problem a few months ago. My usual washing liquid had it's bottle changed and after a few weeks the smell was awful. It turned out that I was using the same amount of the liquid as I did before, but since the bottle changed, it was no longer a concentrated formula. I wasn't using enough of it, basically. Our clothes smelled rank. It took ages to work out what the smell was!

I always leave the door open when it's not in use - I also leave the drawer open. I clean the drawer out quite often as I now use powder and it clumps together. The clumpy powder cleans my stainless steel sink up a treat :)

I do get out, honest :D
  • RoguesPlace
    RoguesPlace Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mouthscradle

I knw this is well after the event, but I hope it's still useful.

I've got a Hotpoint too - to get to my filter, I have to pull away the small panel on the front of the machine at the bottom, and then the filter is accessed by turning a cap at the bottom on the left (looks a bit like a petrol cap or the plug in the bottom of a piggy bank).

BE WARNED though, whenever I undo mine (I say that loosely because I usually persuade my husband to do it) lots and lots of water comes out, so I have to put a big towel down first. Of course, all that water could be because I have a German Shepherd whose hair seems to get absolutely every where, and about once a month manages to block the filter so the water doesn't all drain away properly!!! :o(

Have fun.
    :D Loving being a mum! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family